Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also,

Civilian pilots seem to be quite OK with saying that "it all depends on the pilot" as to who is "better".

Many military pilots seem to have a deep and abiding need to be "better" than civilian pilots. This strikes me as a manifestation of some sort of insecurity. Such is the nature of elitism.

I always enjoyed my years teaching in sims. It was especially delicious to watch a cocky grad from, oh, say, Embry Riddle get his a-- handed to him by some guy who learned to fly at the local flight school, and may have had less total time.

The insecure man will try to ride the coattails of his training pedigree, or whatever. But the man who knows himself will put his skills and knowledge to the test in a fair comparison, and fearlessly.

Put me in a fighter aircraft, and the worst fighter pilot in the military will defeat me.

Put a fighter pilot in a transport category airplane and start failing systems in low weather, and who would you rather have at wheel? Him, or a 10,000 hour regional captain?

If you say a fresh off the boat military guy, then you're lying.

A few points:

#1....your not a military guy
#2....you went to a podunk local flight school
#3....you have low flight time because of being in the sim most of the time
#4....your begging to be hired but are having difficulty even though you think that your skills and "aviation upbringing" are a result of the best route anyone could ever take to a career in aviation....much like the military guys you are complaining about to begin with.

As an Air Force pilot I can assure everyone I am the best pilot on the planet. And I am certainly far superior in every way to others that flew for the other branches of service.
Then I was told a lie my first day of AOCS when they told me Navy Pilots are the best in the world, you calling my Marine DI a lier? The idea of that scares the crap out of me.

Anyone can be a military pilot, the training is very good, it is just their entrance requirements make it hard to get a slot. Unless of course there is a war going and on and guys like me get a shot.

It's not wether or not the other guy is Military or Civilian... The question is wether or not you are a motard butthead. I've seen both. For example, having some goof ball try to explain V Nav while I'm doing the USA Today crossword.....shut up already....I'm trying to remember the three letter word for what was formerly Tokyo. Dang these things are hard!

As an Air Force pilot I can assure everyone I am the best pilot on the planet. And I am certainly far superior in every way to others that flew for the other branches of service.
Good one. Over every door over every pilot training building at every location in every service are the words, "Through these doors pass the best pilots in the world." Like a hyper version of Lake Wobegon except instead of every kid is above average, every pilot is the best in the world. Like kids' sports nowadays. Everyone's a winner and everyone gets a trophy. Airlines can do it too. Here's AA,

https://www.google.com/search?q=thr...port-with-american-airlines-part-4%2F;480;640

Last edited:
It's not wether or not the other guy is Military or Civilian... The question is wether or not you are a motard butthead. I've seen both. For example, having some goof ball try to explain V Nav while I'm doing the USA Today crossword.....shut up already....I'm trying to remember the three letter word for what was formerly Tokyo. Dang these things are hard!

Duh. It's "Edo." Everyone knows that.

Bubba

I'm not even throwing stones, but just out of curiosity, was the captain involved in the LGA crash ex-military? I heard that captain was the most avoided captain at SWA.

No not throwing stones either but most accidents have been ex military at SWA

I would venture to say that 90% of the problem childs and pilots that no one wants to fly with are ex fighter guys. And god forbid if a cloud is on the horizon!

Most of the military guys I fly with are great...but of all the guys on the avoidance bid they are all military...ask any fo....

I think they are hired because flight ops management is all ex military. They keep recruiting their own. Plus they are more likely to be yes men at first when it comes to unions and contracts...they don't stand up to their superiors. And they make serengettis, combovers and rope belts look damn good!
I would counter with 99% of the problem children are pure civilian. My facts stand out more than your facts.

Airlines hire military more because they are cheaper.

Cheaper to train, cheaper to keep, less likely to strike, tax deduction for hiring vets, etc.

That, and as long as management knows pilots from each side will bitch about it beyond eternity means they can keep pilots fighting each other, instead of being unified. and standing up against the man.

Last edited:
Haven't we resolved this yet? We should be asking if a military pilot or a civilian pilot makes a better management DH pilot.... Go!

Latest resources

Back