• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who does the take-off briefing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's supposed to change in the fall. I think the captain will still do it, but it will only be the things that are specific for that take off; initial alt and heading, flaps, speeds, n1, plus short runway, wx considerations etc. Not the novel of extraneous info some captains run through now. I think PF should do it too, but I don't think that is going to change yet.

Actually, the new procedures for ASA will be this:

PF will brief at the gate. Someone (not sure if it's going to be the PF or Capt.) will restate heading and altitude and maybe one or two other things at the end of the runway.

That's the word from the training dept. anyway.

CMR - PF briefs at the gate

USAJet-

Capt. briefs, advances power, steers, calls the abort, on every leg.

FO gets airplane on there leg at 80kts.

Not sure about other types, by at XJ we have done a transfer of controls during the TO at various speeds on both the DHC-8 and the SF340 for the 9 years I've been here. Not as bad as it sounds. Mostly due to the total lack of nosewheel steering on the SF340 from the right seat (i.e. none) and limited steering through the rudder pedals on either side on the DHC-8.

In the ATR at ASA we transfer controlls at 70 knots due to a lack of nose wheel steering with the rudder pedals. Although most of us are already pushing on the rudders well before that to get an idea if the darn thing is going to try and shoot off the side of the runway when the captain releases the tiller.

Last edited:
80 knots determines highspeed v.s. lowspeed abort. In my opinion control of the airplane should never be transfered above 60 KIAS much less above 80. I can't believe that POI's would allow that.

ASA

wms said:
It's supposed to change in the fall. I think the captain will still do it, but it will only be the things that are specific for that take off; initial alt and heading, flaps, speeds, n1, plus short runway, wx considerations etc. Not the novel of extraneous info some captains run through now. I think PF should do it too, but I don't think that is going to change yet.

Yep...I've been told this is the new procedure also. I was told about it in recurrent about 2 motnhs ago, so I would think it will be going into affect within the next 2-3 years!! About the same as us going Cat II, getting ACARS, and getting that contract signed in one year!!
Seriously though, The PF will brief the flight at the gate then the Capt will hit the "high points" on the taxi out.

Latest resources

Back