Who does the take-off briefing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

amaineiac

I'm wondering who does the take-off briefing at your company? Eagle just changed from the FP doing the brief to the captain always doing the brief.

Everyone I've talked to thinks it a dumb idea. I'd like to hear how it's done elsewhere.

CHQ - Capt. first flight of the day regardless of who's the flying pilot ..then the flying pilot briefs their own legs after that.

COEX - Flying Pilot

Its usually something like, "I'm pretty non-standard, this airplane that runway, Acceleration Height is standard, up to 5000, Lufkin 4 Departure...any questions?"

We're all professionals, we all can read, we all have flown out of these airports a number of times, and we all don't ever listen to briefs anyway, now do we. ;)

Last edited:
I still can't belive that the captain says something before we leave. I don't ever recall hearing any " BRIEFING" but I'm kinda thick headed:D

Jobear

At our company, the flying pilot will always do the takeoff brief. In my opinion, to have it any other way is ubsurd. Having the captain brief the first officer's takeoff is basically saying "we hired you to fly, but you will fly to the captain's standards." By the FO giving the brief when PF, the captain (who is PNF in this case) now knows what is planned and knows that the FO understands what is required.

To have the captain always brief the takeoff is a catalyst for a breakdown in CRM.

The PF should brief, becuase it will allow the other person in the cockpit to cross-check the others information.

A good takeoff briefing is essential to make sure both pilots are on the same page.

At ASA, not only does the Capt. brief every TO, which I agree is utterly absurd and useless.....but we do one better. We brief the TO on the taxi out to the runway.....you know, while the FO is watching traffic on the taxiways, listening to instructions from the ramp or ground controllers, and setting up the radios or doing other checks, the Capt is yammering away some relatively important information. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE that we do this!

Latest resources

Back