• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Aircraft to Build?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd go easy on the aerobatics, people have broken wings before. I wouldn't pull any harder on an RV than I would any other normal GA airplane.

Ditto on everything you mentioned, except for this quote here. Yes, it's true that a few RVs have shed wings, but you gotta look a little deeper to get the whole picture. The early RV-3s have had a tendency to shed wings doing acro due to a somewhat weak design on the aft wing spar attach points... Van's recognized this and for older ships put out a beef-up kit for the rear attach points. Then he redesigned the whole wing to go out with newer kits.

The RV-4, 6, 7, and 8s have a good history, not much trouble. One of the prototype RV-8s did shed a wing during a demo flight; it was determined that the back seater just pulled the stick too hard; plus, that ship had an earlier wing spar design, which has since been replaced by a newer, stronger "Dash 1" wing. Load tested to 9 Gs but limited to 6... a few weeks ago I rode back seat in an 8 with an ex-Air Force guy; he did a 360 overhead pattern entry, pulled 5 Gs on the break, no problems. There are lots of ex- and current fighter guys that fly and dogfight RV-4s and they have no trouble with 'em.

So by all means, build an RV! RV-8 Quick Build taildragger, it's the only way to go. Then again, I'm biased... I just did the first flight on my 8 last week, what a rush!

As for the Thunder Mustang? Suh-weet! But ya better have a few truckloads of cash to pay for it!

After going through the process, completing and flying an RV-7A, my advice is to build the plane that turns you on enough to keep you interested enough to finish the thing. After you address that, everything else doable. Finding the energy to finish an airplane you don't care for or have lost interest in is the toughest challenge of all.

As an earlier poster noted, I 2nd the notion to get everything quick-built and/or pre-built that you can, it is a big enough project.

Last edited:
LearLove,
You might have been inhaling the jet-a fumes a bit too much...... The tailwheel RV-8 has a much better look to it, IMO.

check this one out. for some reason in the rv8 I think the 8a looks better than the tailwheel 8. I thing the 3 and 4 are the best looking overall, if not one of the best lokking planes around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...003QQitemZ130053840492QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

check out this guys hangar - he's got some toys. Nice 8 in the background.

LearLove,

Actually, that is an RV-4 in the background. It is probably one of the nicest -4's you'll ever see. It has a 150hp Lycoming with a fixed pitch wood prop. I am positive of this as my Swift resides two hangars down from Ham's hangar. His RV-10 is nearly finished and will most likely be a multiple award-winner wherever he takes it. He has been flying this -8A for a couple of years and it is also in mint condition. Hopefully, he'll find someone to buy it and free up some hangar space.

Regards,
fb

Latest resources

Back