Which Aircraft to Build?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inplaneview

I'm interested in the "experts" opinion on best aircraft to build as far as value, ease of building, and performance. I'm leaning towards RV-7, but like the Glasair Sportsman and Glastar also.

Okay, it depends.

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your mission?

3. Does your mission require have special requirements or future goals? I.E. Want to carry two bicycles with you or want to have the ability to utilize floats or skiies.

As far as value and simplicity of building, the RV wins over the composites IMO... However, if you want real performance, go with the Thunder Mustang :nuts:

As Bank said, what's your mission?

Based on the criteria mentioned, you can't go wrong with an RV. But before you start, make sure you have enough time etc to build one.. it's a BIG commitment.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking for a project that is doable by a novice. I'm looking for an airplane that has descent cross-country potential, that you c an do light acro in, and that you don't always have to have concrete to land it on. Looks to me light the conventional gear (taildragger) RV-7 comes out on top, but I wanted to hear from the guys that are out there that have built and flown that aircraft and others for opinions.

You're all set. RV-7 is it.. again, based on your requirements. It's fun to build and absolute joy to fly. And it sure can be built by a novice. However, there will be so many other RV builders (whereever you are, there are at least a few) that help will always be around when needed. Can't say that for other types though.

Speed costs money.

How fast do you want to go?

I too am looking at an RV-7. 180 knots cruise, yet it slows down to Cessna speeds for the pattern. Take the wheel pants off, and it makes a desscent rough feild airplane. Does light acro. Dosen't burn too much fuel.

Basicly it's the perfect all around airplane as long as you don't need to carry more than one passenger.

You're right on with the RV. The biggest thing they have going for them is their builder support network and there are 1000s of RVs flying. I'd recommend building it exactly to plans and use a real aircraft engine, then you'll be able to get your investment back if you need to sell. I'd go easy on the aerobatics, people have broken wings before. I wouldn't pull any harder on an RV than I would any other normal GA airplane. Oh yeah, get the fast build kit for sure. Get anything premade you can, it pays for itself and it's a big enough project as it is.

Have fun,

Scott
KIS TR-1 builder

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking for a project that is doable by a novice. I'm looking for an airplane that has descent cross-country potential, that you c an do light acro in, and that you don't always have to have concrete to land it on. Looks to me light the conventional gear (taildragger) RV-7 comes out on top, but I wanted to hear from the guys that are out there that have built and flown that aircraft and others for opinions.

Latest resources

Back