• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to bring to a skywest interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Study Jepps (legends, app light configurations, pilot controlled lighting, mca's. mea's, etc).

Know the most complex a/c you fly.

Be prepared to answer CRM questions i.e. "what would you do if your captain....."

Go to American Aviation and fly their sim with an instructor familiar with SkyWest's profiles.

ATP written test is very straight-forward. No w & b, or flight planning stuff. Mostly regs, wx, etc. The Gleim or any other will more than prepare you for that.
DO find either the Air, Inc. Airline Pilot Test Kit (800-AIR-APPS) or one of the others mentioned for the Mechanical Aptitude Test. You will not pass it unless you've practiced or seen the questions before.

Application should already be filled out online.

Bring a current resume and all logbooks and, of course, certs & med. I believe they want a 1st class med for the interview, but you don't have to keep a 1st as an F.O.

After passing the interview & offered a class you receive a package of paperwork to fill out including detailed work history and flight times, etc.

Have a great attitude.

Good Luck!

flightmahtman4n........

These guys are giving you good advice. I have not had a Skywest interview but I think some things are true with all interviews.

First, you are doing it right by planning on and getting ready for an interview early. I would say that 3- 5 months is a about the right time frame for interview preparation.

Next, break it down into its parts.
1) Technical, which of course covers the ATP written, the FAR/AIM, the Jeppesen system(terminal & enroute) and apparently some type of mechanical apptitude test. I add company specific info into this category
2) Simulator, which of course can be practiced on a desk top with ON TOP 8 for needle rcognition training and then of course several hours in a simulator of the same make and model as you will be using during your interview.
3) And last and certainly the most overlooked of all, The personnel interview.

So as you can see there is not much spare time when using the 3 to 5 month window. Set your self up a schedule and work on a little bit of all three each time.
Some ATP questions each time will send you to the FAR/AIM and to the JEPP guides to answer correctly. Throw in a mechanical app question to take your mind off of Flying. Read a bit of company literature(routes, structure, history stock holder info etc..) And then hop on the PC and fire up ON TOP for some departures, holding and approaches.

This will fill you up with tech and it is time to sit down and work on your auto biography from your first memories complete with places and dates and names as well as addresses.( you will need this for all the background stuff anyway). When it is complete, review it along side you resume for accuracy. Then back up into it to where you can remember wanting to fly for the first time and create a parallel auto biography that focuses on the decisions you made to put you in that interview chair. Take plenty of time with this one and really get to know it.

I doing all this you will not only raise your technical ability up to the level that an airline is looking for but you will become comfortable with yourself not just as a pilot but also as a person. It will give you the confidence to sit up straight, look people in the eye when they are talking to you and deliver well thought out and honest answers to their questions.

One last bit.... be wary of gouge... the person that reads and memorizes it is easy to spot and equally easy to confuse and make uncomfortable. Gouge should be treated as nothing more than an atp test guide. A place to start....
Good luck and see ya out there.................

The mechanical aptitude test is now 20 questions not 10. I failed it. I did not have enough time to completely prepare for the interview. I went to a prep outfit. They prepared me for the old 10 questions. There is a 50 question ATP writen.

My buddy (ATP, 121 exp, 135 freight, SD3 Type, current frax) failed the mechanical aptitude test (this week) and was shown the door. From what I gather the ATP questions were straight forward but the mechanical through him for a loop! Good luck-

is there a chance that you can ask him any questions that he remembers from the mech apt and email me> Thanks

I wrote this email back in november, 2002.

Dear Marie,

As you are aware I failed the Mechanical Aptitude test at Skywest. It is now a 20 question test. One of the guys going through the interview with me was a former Skywest pilot and currently a furloughed United pilot. As he knows all the key people, he mentioned after we had all taken the tests, that this was the first time for the new 20 question test. I know another individual who interviewed a month ago and his was a 10 question test. I'm estimating that there were only 3-5 questions on this test that were the same as the material you provided me. Another guy I talked to said there is a military mechanical engineering prep book. I passed the ATP written test. Following are as many questions as I can remember:

You have a round gear with 30 teeth spinning at 30RPM connected to a worm gear that turns 6 teeth per inch. How much will the worm gear advance if the round gear turns for 2 seconds?

There was a 3D picture of blocks looking from the front top. Two sides had 3x3 blocks. The back was 3x5. Some of the top blocks had been removed. The question was how many blocks were there.

There was a similar question only this one asked how many blocks did block B touch. The picture resembled more of long 1"x6"x24" wood blocks. Some went length wise, some were stacked across.

There was a picture of 3 balloons, (small, medium, large). The test stated that all 3 balloons had equal amount of helium in them. The question was which balloon had the most atmospheric pressure pushing in on them. Outside air pushing in.

The was a depiction of a river. It narrowed and then widen. At its narrowest point a dam was to be built. There were 4 options, a straight line, a triangle pointing upriver, a triangle pointing downriver, and a semicircle I believe pointing upriver.

There were 4 pictures of cannon guns. One pointed straight up, one pointed horizontal, one was at a 45' angle and one was at a 30' angle. The question was which cannon would shoot the farthest in undisturbed air.

There was the truck picture (# 3) pulling the weight straight up. There were 3 pulleys total.

There was a pulley question similar to something you guys had but asked a very different question. There was one pulley. The question asked how much force would need to be exerted move the 100lb weight.

There were several questions of the multiple gears connected to each other and which way were certain gears turning. In each case the pictures of gears were completely different than anything I had seen before.

There was a question that stated a KingAir took off 2 hours before a LearJet. The KingAir was traveling at 225 knots. The LearJet flew at 450 knots. How long before the Lear overtook the KingAir. They were traveling along the same route.

There was the question of the big wheel connected to the little. Your number 6.

Your number 1, the lever and fulcrum was on there.

That's all I can remember. None of them seemed all that hard. If I had some sort of prep book that covered this material I'm sure it would have been easy to pass. They told me I barely missed. You had to pass with 70%. I must have missed 7 questions

Too lazy to read the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but the best thing to bring to a SKywest Interview: kneepads.

Are these questions from Skywest designed to weed out all the normal pilots and find the super pilots. I have been safely operating at a 121 airline and can't answer any of those mechanical questions posted above. Would there be less accidents if pilots knew the answers to these questions? What really gets me is the creator of the Cog Exam (that AMR and Delta use) is not a pilot. :confused:

Latest resources

Back