University of North Dakota

cletislj04

Total Time
If anyone has any information about this school please tell me. I am planning to attend there, and I just wanted some information about the flight school. Thanks

TurboS7

Total Time
My 22 year old blonde blue eyed daughter just filled out an application to attend there this summer-lingustic major.

Goffer

Total Time
Cadet?

Why does UND put a gear lever in there Piper Cadet/Warrior?
My buddy went to UND looking to get his instrument rating and they made him use the gear lever like it really did something. It was his introductory flight with the school when the instructor told him he forgot something. It was the gear lever on the fixed gear Cadet. He has had some previous flight experience, and that was enough to turn him off to attending UND.

Cochise College all the way.

AWACoff

Total Time
I would have attended UND but I couldn't afford it being from out of state. Turns out that it only takes 6 months to establish residency and then tuition goes down greatly since you're a resident (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!). It seems like a great school and I certainly wouldn't discount them for trying to instill good habits (making sure the gear is down) immediately. I went to Parks College and we did have a number of gear up landings. Just coincidence? On the whole of it, I think the flight school typically is as good as the student. A good student can excell at a bad flight school but a bad student will not excell no matter what.

Beechnut

Ndugu's Foster Dad
Total Time
1+
Cochise College all the way
COCHISE!!!

Hey Goffer, where'd you get that pic under your name?

...from a fellow P03 Alumni!

S.

Goffer

Total Time
I got the logo off of the school's web site.

Goffer

Total Time
Gear up

There has been one gear up landing at Cochise since I've been here. The gear was pulled on a go around and then a trim stall brought the plane back to earth. Poor student decision at a good school. One thing I like about Cochise that hasn't happened with my buddy who got his private in Phoenix, is the school dedication to checklists and short flows that the instructor want to see every time at the appropriate phase of flight. The lists are to be read and recited aloud. Similar to engraining good habits into the students mind with a useless gear lever.

Tref

Total Time
>7000
Ahh UND... Los Forkes Grandes in January. Snirt. Buck night at the Down Under. The memories.

Actually I didn't realize what a great school it was until I left. I haven't been there in years, but they really prepared me for my future as an airline pilot. It's true that no school can force an unmotivated student to learn, but UND definitely has everything a serious student needs, and then some.

Grand Forks also has other advantages such as: fewer distractions (no bikini girls, heck no beach either,) virtually limitless opportunities to practice crosswind landings, after four years there you'll actually "get" the movie Fargo. Oh, I could go on and on.

Also, I don't know if this is true of all Universities, but I made friends there that I'm sure I'll have for life. Good people up there!

It's not the cheapest place in the world to learn to fly, but if you can beg, cheat or steal the money to go there, I'm sure you won't regret it.

P.S. I think the fake gear lever is a great idea. Might as well get used to throwin' the gear during your first 40 hours if you're going to be doin' it for the next 30,000.

Last edited:

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
I have my students run a GUMPS check every time, with the phrase "...undercarriage: down and welded....." just to put in a mental place holder for future work. Good habit patterns are important.

Everything I learned about UND, I liked (well, not the temps...) last summer when I was considering moving there to instruct. A lot of NASA people are UND grads, and you learn to fly in more challenging conditions. I like the erzatz gear handle. Nice touch.

flyinhard

We be flight instructin!
Total Time
My buddy went to UND looking to get his instrument rating and they made him use the gear lever like it really did something. It was his introductory flight with the school when the instructor told him he forgot something. It was the gear lever on the fixed gear Cadet. He has had some previous flight experience, and that was enough to turn him off to attending UND.
Is this guy really an instructor? You can have your Crapchise University or whatever you call it...Obdviously you don't know too much about instructing if you think practicing something is dumb. Wow. God help his students.

ClassG

Total Time
1.5K+
I don't know, man. Throwing a make-believe gear handle is kind of like doing a blow-up doll.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do it if that's how they wanted to teach it. But I'd still have to say something like "Make-believe Gear Up" every time I did it. YES, it's a good practice for habit's sake. But it's Gay, dude, Gay I tell you!

Notwithstanding, every grad of UND I ever met or flew with was impressively qualified even with only 600-1000 hours flight time.
Always a pleasure to fly with.

Oh, and TurboS7, do you have any pictures of your 22 year old blonde blue eyed daughter? Linguistics, huh? That implies mastery of the tongue, doesn't it?

Well, you started it.

Last edited:

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Total Time
Linguistics, huh? That implies mastery of the tongue, doesn't it?
Knowing what TuboS7's daughter does with her time, I think it implies that she can tell a guy where the bus stops in a couple of obscure languages, along with where he can go! :D

ClassG

Total Time
1.5K+
Wouldn't be the first time I've been verbally spanked in a foreign language.

CatYaaak

Total Time
Tref said:
Ahh UND... Los Forkes Grandes in January. Snirt. Buck night at the Down Under. The memories.

Frenchy's, Whitey's, The Antique and of course, great hockey.

jumppilot03

Total Time
As a current UND student, some of you guys are way off. First off, Bucks is no longer the bar of choice, the down under is on Friday for $1.50 pitchers. The weather still definitly sucks, its currently -3 with an 18 mph wind gusting to 35, giving us a -23 wind chill. But back to the origional question, UND is still a great school. it costs more than most FBO training, but you are doing it in a 141 environment, UND also costs less than most other aviation schools, all flight costs being equal, the tuition is far less than the others. If I remember right tuition is something like $4,000 per year for a resident and those living in bordering states, MN, MT, and SD. Also AWACoff was correct, if you live in the state of ND for 6 months you can gain residency. Oh yeah the gear levers. UND doesnt have any fixed gear aircraft with gear levers in them. In my 3.5 years here I have flown one of those equiped airplanes, and that was on my first flight. They have since gotten rid of the kadets and fly all new 1999 and newer warriors. Hope this helps. Jumppilot

cl-65link

Total Time
For any of you current UND students, does Buzz Aldrin still have an office in CAS? I remember going up to talk to my academic advisor from time to time and walking by his office. In my 4 years there, I didn't see him once.:)

Booker

The Ladies Man
Total Time
Buzz

cl-65,

Check your PMs. :)

adam_jorgensen

Total Time
I was thinking of going to this university until I saw the cost. Its not very far away from where I live, although I live out of the state (and the country at that) so it would cost a substantial amount more for me. I live just adjacent to North Dakota about 2 hours from Grand Forks (north in Canada), so its not too far. But would I be better off going to this university then going to a local flying school that has a program to get a BA of science in aviation through a correspondence course of the university of Utah? Its cheaper and closer. I wouldn't have to leave my home and my job which I don't want to do. I could do it here and keep my job and stay at home, but what should I do? By it sounds, if you go to this university, you will for sure get a big airline job later on, but can you get that with any university, even if its correspondence? This is an accreted program, but will it be recognized just as good as somebody graduating from Embry riddle or UND? How do you compare a small backyard flying school to a big national flying university? I want to stay at home and keep my job while I'm still getting my degree. Not only that but the cost to go here is a third less then what it would cost for me to go to UND.

CRJ_Driver

The Man
Total Time
2000+
Buzz Aldrin

Its been 2 years since I walked off the Alerus Center floor. . . degree in hand.

At that time, YES Buzz still had an office and I never saw him either. Wassup wit dat?

FO on the reset jet. (I like that!)