University of North Dakota

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cletislj04

If anyone has any information about this school please tell me. I am planning to attend there, and I just wanted some information about the flight school. Thanks

My 22 year old blonde blue eyed daughter just filled out an application to attend there this summer-lingustic major.

Cadet?

Why does UND put a gear lever in there Piper Cadet/Warrior?
My buddy went to UND looking to get his instrument rating and they made him use the gear lever like it really did something. It was his introductory flight with the school when the instructor told him he forgot something. It was the gear lever on the fixed gear Cadet. He has had some previous flight experience, and that was enough to turn him off to attending UND.

Cochise College all the way.

I would have attended UND but I couldn't afford it being from out of state. Turns out that it only takes 6 months to establish residency and then tuition goes down greatly since you're a resident (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!). It seems like a great school and I certainly wouldn't discount them for trying to instill good habits (making sure the gear is down) immediately. I went to Parks College and we did have a number of gear up landings. Just coincidence? On the whole of it, I think the flight school typically is as good as the student. A good student can excell at a bad flight school but a bad student will not excell no matter what.

I got the logo off of the school's web site.

Gear up

There has been one gear up landing at Cochise since I've been here. The gear was pulled on a go around and then a trim stall brought the plane back to earth. Poor student decision at a good school. One thing I like about Cochise that hasn't happened with my buddy who got his private in Phoenix, is the school dedication to checklists and short flows that the instructor want to see every time at the appropriate phase of flight. The lists are to be read and recited aloud. Similar to engraining good habits into the students mind with a useless gear lever.

Ahh UND... Los Forkes Grandes in January. Snirt. Buck night at the Down Under. The memories.

Actually I didn't realize what a great school it was until I left. I haven't been there in years, but they really prepared me for my future as an airline pilot. It's true that no school can force an unmotivated student to learn, but UND definitely has everything a serious student needs, and then some.

Grand Forks also has other advantages such as: fewer distractions (no bikini girls, heck no beach either,) virtually limitless opportunities to practice crosswind landings, after four years there you'll actually "get" the movie Fargo. Oh, I could go on and on.

Also, I don't know if this is true of all Universities, but I made friends there that I'm sure I'll have for life. Good people up there!

It's not the cheapest place in the world to learn to fly, but if you can beg, cheat or steal the money to go there, I'm sure you won't regret it.

P.S. I think the fake gear lever is a great idea. Might as well get used to throwin' the gear during your first 40 hours if you're going to be doin' it for the next 30,000.

Last edited:
I have my students run a GUMPS check every time, with the phrase "...undercarriage: down and welded....." just to put in a mental place holder for future work. Good habit patterns are important.

Everything I learned about UND, I liked (well, not the temps...) last summer when I was considering moving there to instruct. A lot of NASA people are UND grads, and you learn to fly in more challenging conditions. I like the erzatz gear handle. Nice touch.

Latest resources

Back