• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ual hiring discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, there were 2 slots in my class as well. Also went junior.

Been at LCAL for over 6 years now and can't hold 777 FO in either EWR or IAH by about 75 numbers or so. I was less than 50 numbers away from 787 IAH FO on the last bid. With the 767 flying out of IAH going away to the LUAL side I suspect the senior LCAL 756 guys are gonna bail to the 787 or 777. If I can't hold it at 6+ years seniority then I very much doubt a new hire will get it.

A crew that included three probationary IROs on the 16-hour flight at night over the pole, while fully qualified, made the company realize that if there were an incident that rose to the level of public scrutiny that the news copy would read "two brand new recently certified barely qualified copilots at the controls while the captain and only experienced pilot was asleep in the back...."

This situation actually caused the company to look at QOL issues. Briefly. They started to dig into why more senior pilots were avoiding the premier aircraft of the fleet. They got a glimpse at how a bad contract made people bid away from being junior on a piece of equipment--and that CAL's contract was indeed very bad for QOL. As I said, it was a brief look. The furlough of the 147 solved their problem and they went back to business as usual.

Last edited:
That's because they were hiring into the 757/767, not the 777. There were a few 757/767 newhire slots available. No newhires got the 777.

You can file Rattler's post in the same file as the statement from some CAL line pilots that there are some LUAL 777s that aren't ETOPS certified. LOL!

Wrong

That's because they were hiring into the 757/767, not the 777. There were a few 757/767 newhire slots available. No newhires got the 777.

Actually, you are wrong. Cal had new hire slots go to the 777 back in 06. They have routinely had 756 slots open in EWR, because it stinks to be jr out there. 8 people in my class got 756 EWR (thats not a few, thats 40% of the class). 777 slots were awarded to newhires.

Actually, you are wrong. Cal had new hire slots go to the 777 back in 06. They have routinely had 756 slots open in EWR, because it stinks to be jr out there. 8 people in my class got 756 EWR (thats not a few, thats 40% of the class). 777 slots were awarded to newhires.

He already admitted he was wrong. What is funny is when I was hired. Most of us started out on the 737. Myself along with a few others went to the 756 about 8 months later when we could hold a line on it. One guy went to the 777 a year after that then upgraded to 737 captain shortly after that. He got all the types in 3 years. About a year after I was hired, the opposite occurred. New hires that went to the 777 got knocked back to the 756 then farther down to the 737. Either way, they too received the same types in 3 years. Great industry we work in!

Latest resources

Back