• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He interviewed with Korean. Came home and said "not a chance in hell I'm working there."
Everybody that fails an interview says the same thing....!

Because if you want to say that he preferred to be out of currency vs taking any job while trying to get a better gig I have to raise the BS flag on that one..., we have a 90 day shelf life, after that it's very difficult to be marketable
And without a degree to boot?

Last edited:
DP,

Would age or being well out of currency be an obstacle for someone in this guy's position ?
Age? Well, there are some jobs that have limits on them and others that take guys over 60, it all depends..., now out of currency? Very tough! In the international market within 6 months is the line in the sand

Age? Well, there are some jobs that have limits on them and others that take guys over 60, it all depends..., now out of currency? Very tough! In the international market within 6 months is the line in the sand

DP,

Thanks for the info. I admit my view from the sidelines is blurry.

It seems the Chinese carriers post age limits in the early to mid 50s. I guess that's more influenced by government mandate than operational factors ?

As for currency, 6 mos out of currency isn't all THAT much (heck, 2+ years isn't all that much for an experienced pilot). So, a guy's marketability drops after 6 mos...but these carriers all claim to be experiencing this big "PILOT SHORTAGE". Yet they're blocking their own access to a segment of whatever the available market supply is.

They seem to have an odd way of reacting to this shortage...and all these airlines are operating just fine ?

Our logic is not their logic..., we can try to analyze their policies all we want but at the end it is their policy and they won't change it..., on the international market you look for a job while employed or recently unemployed..., after six months you don't exist.

Our logic is not their logic..., we can try to analyze their policies all we want but at the end it is their policy and they won't change it...

:D No dispute there.

But it's valuable info to understand how they think and operate.

Last edited:
They all say -College Prefered- so that there is always a way to get the chief pilots kid hired.

Good move.

I do not know why SWA would be anyone's first choice as a new hire.

-Stagnant seniority list. Not any hull growth in sight.
-Contract quickly falling behind Delta, AA, United
-CEO who's legacy will be transforming SWA into a Legacy airline
-Low retirement rate compared to the above mentioned airlines.
-have to pay $7000 for a type rating to qualify for a less desirable job.

I think these are the reason Flight Ops changed the policy. I know and respect Craig but the reasons he stated was way down the list.

I wonder if having 'no shows' for class in 2014 moved the needle slightly ? No matter what your views are; getting a class date at SWA was statistically difficult and in the past the pilots hired were not really the type (no pun intended) to just not show up. It seems bizarre, rude and bridge burning - however it's happened.

Everybody that fails an interview says the same thing....!

Because if you want to say that he preferred to be out of currency vs taking any job while trying to get a better gig I have to raise the BS flag on that one..., we have a 90 day shelf life, after that it's very difficult to be marketable
And without a degree to boot?

He had the job offer in writing.

Sidenote KAL, ANA, JAL and Asiana are on quite a few US Companies "do not fly on" lists.

Latest resources

Back