Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
h25b said:
bluepost said:
Straight from the Unions mouth this week. According to Teamsters National anyone flying QS CUSTOMERS will be flying struck work. Teamsters are in contact with the other unions about this work action and that it is properly rated with ALL UNIONS...meaning that there will be a clear line explained to everyone about who is and who is not a scab coming from YOUR union (if you have one).

Our local was the one that stated that charter guys would not be scabs...however, Teamsters national did some investigating and stated that they indeed would be.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Exactly, charter pilots have no union ... Yep, sounds like the work of your average Teamster to me (I'm a former member) ...

For the last time I'll ask someone to explain to me how this could possibly be enforced. Where will you get the names of these charter pilots? There's no way to make good on this threat.

Actually, hb25, this sounds like a fairly generic definition of "struck work" and "scab." If the pilots of a company legally withhold their services from their company as they are permitted under the self-help provisions of the RLA, any work that they would have done becomes "struck work." Anyone who performs that work becomes a "scab." There's really nothing to get all upset and emtional over -- that's just the facts.

Now, you have asked an excellent question about enforcement. I have no idea how this particular work group plans to undertake the task, but I can tell you about a few possible ways. Someone flying struck work might be met at the airport where passengers are enplaned or deplaned by an interested party. The pilots might be greeted in the hotel lobby by a friendly delegation of the striking workgroup to inform, educate, and record names. There are other ways, and while I'm not suggesting that any or all of them will or could be used, I want you to know that you NEVER know if you'll be able to get away with it. It's a personal choice, of course, to take the risk.

Viffer said:
Guys,

The pilots who are, in the case of your strike, going to be flying your customers are the absolute best resource and weapon you will have! They are in direct face to face contact with the frax shareholders, and will no doubt be asked many questions from them about your situation. And yes, we know exactly who we are flying, and if they are NJ customers.

Viffer,

Do you not think the NJ pilots themselves have been in direct contact with these people? If you're flying struck work, you're not an "absolute best resource and weapon", you're a scab. Don't confuse yourself - - flying struck work does not make one an ambassador for the cause. What makes you think you've got better answers than the NJ pilots themselves? The customers don't care so much about answers to questions as they care about getting from Point A to Point B. If you get them there, you undermine the efforts of the NetJets pilots and you undermine the profession.

Here's a question I'd like you to consider: How would you answer when the "customer" asks, "How come NetJets pilots won't fly me from Point A to Point B, but you're 'OK' with it?"

TonyC said:
Actually, hb25, this sounds like a fairly generic definition of "struck work" and "scab." If the pilots of a company legally withhold their services from their company as they are permitted under the self-help provisions of the RLA, any work that they would have done becomes "struck work." Anyone who performs that work becomes a "scab." There's really nothing to get all upset and emtional over -- that's just the facts.

Now, you have asked an excellent question about enforcement. I have no idea how this particular work group plans to undertake the task, but I can tell you about a few possible ways. Someone flying struck work might be met at the airport where passengers are enplaned or deplaned by an interested party. The pilots might be greeted in the hotel lobby by a friendly delegation of the striking workgroup to inform, educate, and record names. There are other ways, and while I'm not suggesting that any or all of them will or could be used, I want you to know that you NEVER know if you'll be able to get away with it. It's a personal choice, of course, to take the risk.

TonyC,

The following is an excerpt from a earlier post in which I have quoted directly the ALPA Master Scab List's definition of a Scab. If you can tell me how it relates to a 135 guy/gal flying a chartered NetJet's sell-off, enlighten me...

I charter guy/gal going to work flying anyone including NetJets is crossing NO line, not flying a QS tail, and simply doing what has always been done, AND something allowed under the current NetJets IBT labor agreement.

As for how they will find out who these "scabs" are... Well there's simply no way. I'd love for them to mistakenly confront our aircraft when our owner is on board ;) . Like I said before, our aircraft is never used for NetJet's sell-off anyway, but others on the certificate are. After speaking with some of their crews I can tell you no one I have spoken with yet really gives a squat and will fly any trip assigned, NetJets or otherwise. The only thing the union is accomplishing by this is creating a ton of hostility towards themselves.

If the NetJets pilots walk there's no way the company will be able to cover the flying with sell-offs alone. IMPOSSIBLE ... At this point these passengers would just be out on the open charter market anyway. The union's position on this is pointless.

h25b said:
"A Scab is a person doing what you'd be doing if you weren't on strike.."

Not the case here...

"A Scab takes your job, a job he could not get under normal circumstances..."

Hardly the case here... A charter pilot would be doing the EXACT thing he/she was doing prior to any work action.

"He can only advance himself by taking advantage of labor disputes.."

He/She wouldn't be advancing himself at all. Again, doing the same thing he/she was doing before. By the way, our crews make almost 3 times the salary of a NetJets F.O.

Last edited:
TonyC said:
Viffer,

Do you not think the NJ pilots themselves have been in direct contact with these people? If you're flying struck work, you're not an "absolute best resource and weapon", you're a scab. Don't confuse yourself - - flying struck work does not make one an ambassador for the cause. What makes you think you've got better answers than the NJ pilots themselves? The customers don't care so much about answers to questions as they care about getting from Point A to Point B. If you get them there, you undermine the efforts of the NetJets pilots and you undermine the profession.

Here's a question I'd like you to consider: How would you answer when the "customer" asks, "How come NetJets pilots won't fly me from Point A to Point B, but you're 'OK' with it?"

First, you do not understand the labor issue if you still consider 135 operators flying NJ customers being scabs, so I am not going to get into an arguement about that. If NJ strikes and I am assigned a trip with their customers I will fly it the same as I would any other time.

Now, since you, I, and the whole rest of the world know that 135 pilots don't work for or answer to NJ on any level whatsoever, their passengers are not going to think twice about why I would fly them. They will have been certainly prepared by your management to think you guys are at fault. Would you not like an outside voice of support to help them see the light?

Also we talk to them as an unaffected third party, and can either help or hurt your cause with a couple of words. Would you not like us to help you guys out when we get the chance? I guess not if you would rather be out collecting our names and trying to screw our careers over your labor dispute. What would I say when they ask? What would you like me to say? I guess I will not mention anything on your behalf then when the time comes. Sorry.

For arguements sake let's say I refused to fly an assigned trip because it was for NJ. I would then instantly lose my job and be unemployed. Since I was a striker and not a scab what would your union do for me? Is this really so hard to understand? Your company, your airplanes, your union, your problem. 135 has nothing to do with your situation whatsoever, and as was also said earlier there is no way they could get enough charter availability anyway.

I fly a privately owned aircraft that is also listed on a local charter certificate. I do not answer to anyone but our owners, and frankly none of this is going to affect me at all but for the NJ pilots who have their heads clear I wish them the best. For the rest, who would rather go around tossing threats to the rest of the industry I hope you realize the full impact of your actions. I could care less about being an 'ambassador for your cause' as you put it, but I do want to see piloting regain the prestige and respect, and salaries that it should have. And like it or not if these stupid threats on the 135 guys are not put down by your union you ARE going to lose one very useful tool. You will have little or no direct influence on your customers compared with the PR assault your management most likely has had going, and you guys are going to need all the help you can get. Even if it's from 135 guys. Think about that.

any work that they would have done becomes "struck work." Anyone who performs that work becomes a "scab."

So, if UPS goes on strike, FEDEX pilots will not fly brown boxes?? And even if you do not fly their boxes YOU have union protection. 135 guys do not. Using your logic, ANY airline pilot flying what would have been EASTERN passengers is a scab. Thats ridiculous.

Johnny

Funny you should mention UPS, they already went through all of this several years ago and YES they did say that any 135 charter outfits carrying UPS freight were to be considered scabs. I remember getting the 3rd degree from their picket line when reporting to work to carry US mail and explaining we were NOT carrying their boxes. Looks like it could be happening again there too, better head for the cargo board...

I am not condoning or agreeing with the latest definition of a scab, just showing it is not the first time it has come up.

johnny taliban said:
So, if UPS goes on strike, FEDEX pilots will not fly brown boxes?? And even if you do not fly their boxes YOU have union protection. 135 guys do not. Using your logic, ANY airline pilot flying what would have been EASTERN passengers is a scab. Thats ridiculous.

Johnny

Ridiculous yes, but I am still in the process of compiling the "master list". Working tirelessly since 1990, I figure in about 5-6 more years I will have identified all those ba$tards who flew my pax. The $hit is really gonna fly when I call all these scabs out.

Of course, most will be retired by then. The ones who are still breathing, I mean.

As someone who has been on strike before, I just hope this is rumor about classifying 135 guys as scabs. What a bunch of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ing bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**!! Scabs are what is at the top of Continentals seniority list, that's a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ing scab!! So when some guy flying for a 135 outfit refuses to fly a trip and gets his asz fired I bet that the Union is going to pay for his legal representation and get him another job too RIGHT!! Keep it simple!! Nobody cross the line at Nutjets in event of a strike and this matter is then irrelevant!!

Nobody cross the line at Nutjets in event of a strike and this matter is then irrelevant!!

Thats just it, who in their right mind would cross that picket line for those wages?

Answer:NOBODY

Its as if their union realized that NO ONE would cross their picket line and just to make themselves feel important, decided to threaten 135 drivers.

Johnny

johnny taliban said:
Its as if their union realized that NO ONE would cross their picket line and just to make themselves feel important, decided to threaten 135 drivers.

Johnny

I can just visualize this decision ...

- "O.K. guys, when we strike it's going to be pretty embarassing if we can't find someone to call a scab... Any ideas ??? "

:D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back