• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest evaluates -800's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice attempt at spin on the RJ's, unfortunately it doesn't work.

It's a ton of domestic feed that's gone...forever. You will never put MD-90's or 737's on the routes that are history.

G.L....Go Dude, go!...15,000 posts says you can't respond quick enough to all the guys that disagree with you. Great try,...and enjoy Lagos (for now anyway)...

>>>And, the majority of your trips have mutiple leg days. You can't say otherwise. It's great you have a trip now and then that have fewer legs, but that isn't how your trips work. Your trips are supposed to be high productivity trips. Normally legacy pilots fly from BOS to LAX, or JFK to SLC and they are done. Not you guys, you fly BWI to SLC, and then onto LAS, and SJC. That stinks. Your trips try to get the max out of every day, .....<<<<

The SWA guys generally block the same hours of flying in 12 days of flying that the legacies get in 15 days of flying. If paid the same per block hour, I'd rather do the SWA thing (but of course the SWA guys are getting paid more these days).

>>>And, the majority of your trips have mutiple leg days. You can't say otherwise. It's great you have a trip now and then that have fewer legs, but that isn't how your trips work. Your trips are supposed to be high productivity trips. Normally legacy pilots fly from BOS to LAX, or JFK to SLC and they are done. Not you guys, you fly BWI to SLC, and then onto LAS, and SJC. That stinks. Your trips try to get the max out of every day, .....<<<<

The SWA guys generally block the same hours of flying in 12 days of flying that the legacies get in 15 days of flying. If paid the same per block hour, I'd rather do the SWA thing (but of course the SWA guys are getting paid more these days).

And they get to go to ELP more too. Sure, you will only look inside the plane, and never look out, only doing autolands. Yeah, that's the ticket. All layovers are the SAME for you, and so are airplanes. Variety in life means nothing to you. No matter that the rest of your career will comprise of domestic flying that is the same month after month, year after year, on the same plane, forever. Sure, they are paid more now, but that very likely will change, and they will be stuck with LBB and HRL forever. And how do you know how many days of flying occurs at DL vs SWA? Do you know how many different combinations of trips can be had at a legacy? Whatever dude.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey if they negotiate BETTER pay rates for the 737-800, that only helps us here at CAL.

Really? How do you figure that? SWA has had higher pay rates for flying 737's than Legacy widebody guys have had since 2002-2003. SWA rates haven't helped legacy pilots for the past 7 years, what is going to change now? Management comes crying they can't earn any more money. They threaten furloughs and bankruptcy, then the pilots cave and either take concessions or accept the status quo. I thought everyone knew this by now. This is America, that's what pilots do in America. It's Stockholm's Syndrome, you get beaten and abused so badly by someone and then you start to grow fond and end up protecting your abuser. How else to explain the management labor relationship in this putrid industry?

Genreal, we get it, you hate your homelife and love being out on the road to so called "fancy places" looking at the world through CNN on the backside of the clock and hiding behind your curtain on the 9th floor.

Enjoy.

Some of us have lives outside of the job. Get over it.

If the worst thing I do in my month is fly to LBB or El Paso (which I have not done in prolly 2 years), then I must be living right.

General constantly bitching about it only highlights it.

Gup

What happens when that isn't the case anymore? The legacies ARE getting more healthy, and contract time is coming up at UAL/CAL (for the merger), and DL (2012 ammendable, but talks starting 18 months prior). If rates match SWA for the 737 or equivalent, and higher for widebodies, then what would you say? If pay was about the same, SWA would lose for lack of variety in planes, routes, layovers, etc. Some people don't care about where they go, until they try INTL flying and see that it is like a mini-vacation. It's great, and the SWA guys like to say it's no big deal because "they used to fly to INTL places in the C141....." It's just not the same, and they know it. So, add the same pay or better and more variety, SWA will be seen as a well paid REGIONAL, flying lots of legs to some nowhere towns in West Texas.

Stability? I would say the airlines paying down debt and having the most cash on hand are pretty good for now. (DL is doing both) And with possible mergers out there for every airline, stabiltiy may be hard to come by. CEOs will be making decisions that could affect everyone.

And you think new 737s satisfy "variety?" They already fly 737NGs. How does that satisfy variety? They are stuck on one plane type, forever. They will fly it to ELP and LBB over 600 times in their careers, and that might be in the first 10 years. 4 or 5 legs a day in that plane, trip after trip, would get mighty boring. But hey, they are currently well paid, and they seem to have fun, which is not bad I guess. But add pay at the other airlines, and I see SWA guys leaving SWA in droves. They did before 9-11---SWA Captains were leaving for newhire UAL classes.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General, this is becoming a post-Kit Darby career fair discussion at the local bar. With that said

Paying down debt- I am glad DAL and the others are doing it. SWA never had much debt to speak of to begin with, compared to the big legacy majors.

Widebodies, "Variety", etc - most people who decided to go SWA recognize/accept that the 737 is probably the only plane they will ever fly. That is accepted for the big and secure paycheck (as stated, and I agree, for now...). The discussion about "variety" and "it must be boring" etc etc ad nauseum is akin to a computer programmer going to work for Apple and later we theorize that he will b1tch that he never gets to work on Windows operating systems and is "getting bored" at Apple.

Fun, Morale level - It could be argued that the work environment at SWA is happier that at others.

ELP - this is a 5-star diamond city and my sources tell me everybody in the airline industry wants to RON there.

Leaving in Droves - Don't know, but "post 9-11" everybody I know that has an ATP in there pocket has had an "attitude adjustment" regarding career expectations and the overall industry. If you are at a major or even (supposedly) stable corporate department, flying jet equipment, ain't nobody "jumping around" to different carriers.

My .02 cents. I might say I personally respect DAL and agree, it is a good place to be. However General, you and I both know that the applicant at Local Tool Company ABC, who flies a broke-d1ck Citation 500, and is ex-now-closed-doors-Part 121 regional airline, with 3000 HRS PIC turbine, and a new baby on the way, is a moron to not accept a SWA offer of employment. For him to "wait" for DAL to resume interviewing is asinine.

5 years later, this guy is closer to the left seat, and DAL has resumed hiring. To see him out and public, and tell him "you only fly to ELP, you suck" is silly.

You and I both know that......

Last edited:
GL does not get the fact that many of us have exciting lives outside of our careers. When I go to work, I want to work for the max pay. Therefore, I get more days to do what I really want to do. Stay away form airports, airplanes, and spend time at home.

Who cares about seeing some exotic location around the world with a flight crew. If I am going to go there, I am going to go with my wife!!!!

Latest resources

Back