• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Blasts Revised Slot Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't disagree. We choked when we had an "in" to LGA and DCA. Now we've got to PAY for that decision. That being said.......... I don't think you should GIFT those slots to competitors. You either scatter them around equally or you sell them to the highest bidder.

Gup

I don't disagree. We choked when we had an "in" to LGA and DCA. Now we've got to PAY for that decision. That being said.......... I don't think you should GIFT those slots to competitors. You either scatter them around equally or you sell them to the highest bidder.

Gup

How do you think Delta and US Airways feel? They are trying to slot swap, and the government is forcing them to give up some of their slots that they paid for to competitors for nothing in return. The decided to give them to the competitors that are the least threat. There is a huge double standard. The government needs to either regulate the industry or not. This half-ass approach is extremely hard on the industry.

Gup

I'd say 4 different airlines getting a piece of the new goods constitutes "scattering".

If Southwest was one of these four airlines I'd doubt we'd be hearing the same argument from them.

Stop flying commuter jets into LGA. Nothing smaller then a DC-9-30 or B737-500. To many regional jets....its a joke, why waste a slot on that?

Hmmm. Then what are connectors from the outlying smaller cities in the NE suppose to do? How about cutting down the number of airlines allowed to fly into LGA?

I'd say 4 different airlines getting a piece of the new goods constitutes "scattering".

If Southwest was one of these four airlines I'd doubt we'd be hearing the same argument from them.

What I meant was spread EVERYTHING around equally, not just a few here and there. USAir and Delta have 100's of slots at these airports. If you think 4 slots to WestJet is going to be considered competition then you aren't dealing in reality.

Gary Kelly wants DCA and LGA slots. Our business model is obviously morphing into large, high yield markets. Problem is we can't even BUY slots because everyone that has them is smart enough to hang onto them.

Gup

What I meant was spread EVERYTHING around equally, not just a few here and there. USAir and Delta have 100's of slots at these airports. If you think 4 slots to WestJet is going to be considered competition then you aren't dealing in reality.

Gary Kelly wants DCA and LGA slots. Our business model is obviously morphing into large, high yield markets. Problem is we can't even BUY slots because everyone that has them is smart enough to hang onto them.

Gup

Kind of like Southwest in BWI, MDW, LUV, etc.?

Hmmm. Then what are connectors from the outlying smaller cities in the NE suppose to do? How about cutting down the number of airlines allowed to fly into LGA?

Who connects through LGA? Are they nuts?

Gup

What a joke. Fine... take those 4 slots and give them to Southwest, does that really change anything? Or do you mean spread all the slots out to everyone? What is the point of this transaction again? To take slots away from US Air and divide them up amongst all the remaining carriers?

Reality? Really?

What's up with the very small group of SW pilots on this board that call foul whenever a business transaction looks like it's going down without them. Luckily all the ones I know can care less and have better things to worry about.

I'm going back to flying airplanes and leaving this thread alone, it's a joke...just like trying to tell me the industry is "deregulated".

BWI, DAL, and MDW are not slot restricted.

Try again,
Gup

Change slots to gates and it's the same animal. Not many places to put airplanes in DAL and MDW.

By the way I don't think he's the one arguing that this isn't fair.

Just calling it hypocritical, which is not a far stretch.

Latest resources

Back