Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest showing videos of crippled folks and.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... The regional airlines have been hiring from the turd farms for over a decade now. As much as you want to polish those turds, they can only be polished to look like shiny turds.

They are turds. I am a turd. Repeat after me.

Don't forget that "professionalism" extends far beyond the uniform and appearance too. The cockpit discipline I have observed on the jumpseat from former military pilots at some major airlines is WAY beyond anything I've ever seen from a regional crew. It is all a result of who was hired.

You, kind Sir, apparently are not abreast of the immense potential of polished turds...

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-polishing-a-turd.html

... All better now

No. Actually OO, JB and VA are making the profession look bad.

It has been shown for over 80 years, that this profession requires ethics and representation. To take those gains and benefits earned and fought for over the years as your own and not maintain them is childish and irresponsible.

It also motivates management to down grade the profession to simply wage workers.

Let's be clear. You are not a member of the Air Line Pilot Profession. You quit and took and different path.

Neither are the OO, JB and VA pilots. Are you saying that OO pilots get to say no to representation and a CoE but still claim the benefits and call themselves professional?

How does that work? How does someone gain status without the effort?

The problem here is the definition and understanding of professionalism.

What is it? I can assure you that many Air Line Pilots both union and non union act professional but can't define or quantify it.

First off if we say that everyone is professional does that devalue the profession? For example, we've all called a company as a consumer and were put on hold only to hear "you're call is very important to us, please stay on the line, and one of our professional CSRs will be with you shortly" Are CSRs really professionals? What about gate agents? rampers? If they are, are they the same as professional pilots? If so, does that mean same pay is ok?

Are Skywest pilots really professional because management says so? Because management creates a creed for them? Are OO, JB and VA pilots professional because they say they are? Who is they? Are these pilot groups professional if one pilots defines professionalism as one way but another pilot says professionals is not that way but his way?

So what does it mean to the Air Line Pilot profession when OO, JB and VA pilots call themselves professionals after DAL, CAL, NWA, UAL, PAA, Braniff, etc. pilots have spent endless hours over the decades creating professional status so when it comes time for pay and benefits we have leverage at the table. And along comes OO, JB and VA pilots and say.. yeah, we are just like those guys.. we are professional too.

Many pilots on here are tired of weak leverage in negotiations. Do OO, JB and VA pilots help?

So what makes a professional? Can you define it?

Didn't you get your start at Gulfstream???

Latest resources

Back