• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What are the skywest pilots going to do about bankruptcy laws?
What are Skywest pilots going to do about globlization and brand alliances?

Skywest pilots: The world is not Salt Lake City or St. George. At some point you will have to deal with what is coming over the horizon. Things may be fine now, but what do you want to be in five years?

What's ALPA going to do? How are the guys at Mesaba doing? I think Duane Worthless described it as "indentured servitude". Is that the help ALPA gave them?

Or how about Comair, Delta, United, or any other carrier that went into BK. The reality is that management has figured out ow to circumvent organized labor on virtually every front. Organized labor hasn't won any significant battle in years and the clowns at ALPA are worse yet other than walking in holding patterns, they havn't done squat.

Globalization and Brand Alliances, management is going to do whatever has the best return. Scope settings and equipment shift will happen and be complete long before ALPA can do one damthing about it. Management will find a loop hole in the CBA and transfer everything they want. ALPA will grieve it but it will not stand. The next CBA will have wording in it, via concession of somthing else like pay, but then it will be too late.

In 5 years, is ASA any better off? They have been holding off for the "pie in the sky" contract and only recently has momentum begun to accept reality that that probably wont happen. Who knows where this industry will be in 5 years? Could flurish and grow, or one giant terroist attack or oil hits $125 a barrel or bird flu or who knows..........

When does ASA hit the 5 year mark themselves?????

for ALPA to represent both regional and majors is a contridiction.
ALPA needs to keep it's business with the Majors and the Majors only. They do better protecting Fed Ex 727 crews who avoid checklist and run off the runway, than they do regional pilots for less.

What's ALPA going to do? How are the guys at Mesaba doing? I think Duane Worthless described it as "indentured servitude". Is that the help ALPA gave them?

Mesaba (and Northwest) managment drove the company into the ground. A bankruptcy court judge ruled to make them "indentured servants". Without ALPA, Mesaba wouldn't have had to go to court, they could have just unilaterally imposed cuts. Consequentially, they wouldn't have had to take such big pay cuts, because they wouldn't have been making nearly as much to begin with. If taking a smaller paycut in bankruptcy is your goal, then I guess non-union is the way to go.

Or how about Comair, Delta, United, or any other carrier that went into BK.

I wonder if the Delta Flight Attendants would have liked to been union while dealing with bankruptcy? I guess they don't have time to think about it during their nine hour break following their CVG-JFK-SAN (8:30) day.

What an ignorant rant! Who pissed in your wheaties this morning? 100s of guys leaving ASA to go to SKYW huh. Don't think so. There is a good amount going but it's not in the 100s.

VOTED IN FAVOR!

ALPA pissed in my wheaties every day for the last year! Everyone knows ASA pilots are dropping out like flies. I tried to believe ALPA was going to do something..I was optimistic just like the rest of you ASA guys still holding out for your dream contract...wake up and smell the coffee..When I resigned on the 9th of a previous month..I was the 40th person to have left THAT MONTH. ASA's chief pilots and secretaries told me I'd be an idiot to stay here (at ASA)...Now not everyone of those people leaving are going to SkyWest..but there were 7 in the class ahead, and several in mine, and several who couldn't make it. Thats just in the last 3 weeks worth of classes...just keep watching your pilot group get smaller and smaller over there...then you'll hire just to keep the planes flying, not to grow..Hey I'm not trying to piss anyone off..I'm just saying..ALPA doesn't do crap for you...

Twice in my life I worked for a non-union carrier that went union. I can tell you from firsthand experience that having a union never solves the problems that the rank-and-file expect it to solve. I am not talking about OT pay or scheduling rules or stuff like that. I am talking about communication. The main problem that exists in companies that go union is a lack of meaningful communication. A union doesn't solve that problem. It makes it worse.

HMMM. Doesn't it take 2 or more to communicate.

SWA seems to do a good job and they are union.

I'm not pro ALPA, believe me. However, in the case of a lawyer and a union, I look at it this way: If Alex Burdette can keep his job after the crap he pulled, you can get away with anything here. Not that I would do anything intentionally like he did.

Which part? The tennis shoes that Chromer gave him written permisson to wear or the FFDO thing?

Do you anti-ALPA whiners truly believe that ALPA can just go to the company, or the bankruptcy judge, and say "no, we are not going to take any paycuts?". Or "no, you must keep these aircraft on our property?". Or tell the mothership that you must keep the flying we are doing with us? If that is what you believe, then you have no clue as to how an airline operates, or what the role of ALPA is concerning your career. ALPA is there to help you if you have a problem renewing your medical. ALPA is there for when some manager who never flies the line tries to discipline or fire you because of a percieved 'lack of judgement'. ALPA is there to assist in the negotiation and enforcement of employment contracts. ALPA conducts research into improving the safety of airline travel.

But ALPA does not control the operation or finances of the airline, so don't expect something of them that is outside of their purview.

And to you, ATR Pirate, your 2000 hrs really makes you an authority on the subject. Try doing something for your fellow pilots, instead of taking the lazy way out. Oh, looks like you already did.

Peace.

Rekks.

ASA's chief pilots and secretaries told me I'd be an idiot to stay here (at ASA)...

Please tell me specifically who said this you can PM me if you don't want to post it. Otherwise, I call BS. I know most of the CP's and can't think of one (even behind closed doors) that would say that.

ALPA pissed in my wheaties every day for the last year! Everyone knows ASA pilots are dropping out like flies. I tried to believe ALPA was going to do something..I was optimistic just like the rest of you ASA guys still holding out for your dream contract...wake up and smell the coffee..When I resigned on the 9th of a previous month..I was the 40th person to have left THAT MONTH. ASA's chief pilots and secretaries told me I'd be an idiot to stay here (at ASA)...Now not everyone of those people leaving are going to SkyWest..but there were 7 in the class ahead, and several in mine, and several who couldn't make it. Thats just in the last 3 weeks worth of classes...just keep watching your pilot group get smaller and smaller over there...then you'll hire just to keep the planes flying, not to grow..Hey I'm not trying to piss anyone off..I'm just saying..ALPA doesn't do crap for you...

Bye. One whiner down and a few more to go.

Last class was 7 ASA. The curent class is 3. The 4-6 more could not come do to ASA staffing needs. That is what I heard.

I know that there have been plenty to leave for Skywest but no way could applicants be denied based on ASA staffing issues.

Those that have left were very junior at ASA anyway and may have left to chase the upgrade. A risky move, had we taken the paycuts the shoe would be on your foot. Your not immune

Latest resources

Back