• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's ALPA going to do? How are the guys at Mesaba doing? I think Duane Worthless described it as "indentured servitude". Is that the help ALPA gave them?

Or how about Comair, Delta, United, or any other carrier that went into BK. The reality is that management has figured out ow to circumvent organized labor on virtually every front. Organized labor hasn't won any significant battle in years and the clowns at ALPA are worse yet other than walking in holding patterns, they havn't done squat.

Globalization and Brand Alliances, management is going to do whatever has the best return. Scope settings and equipment shift will happen and be complete long before ALPA can do one damthing about it. Management will find a loop hole in the CBA and transfer everything they want. ALPA will grieve it but it will not stand. The next CBA will have wording in it, via concession of somthing else like pay, but then it will be too late.

In 5 years, is ASA any better off? They have been holding off for the "pie in the sky" contract and only recently has momentum begun to accept reality that that probably wont happen. Who knows where this industry will be in 5 years? Could flurish and grow, or one giant terroist attack or oil hits $125 a barrel or bird flu or who knows..........

When does ASA hit the 5 year mark themselves?????

So then, I guess your solution is to roll over and play dead? All I ever see is you putting down ALPA, but you don't offer any other viable way to get management to negotiate fairly! Or is everything just perfect in your opinion?

Alpa doesn't give a crap about any regional. And yes every ASA transfer that I have talked to hates ALPA. I'm not opposed to an in house union, but ALPA isn't worth sh!t.

So then, I guess your solution is to roll over and play dead? All I ever see is you putting down ALPA, but you don't offer any other viable way to get management to negotiate fairly! Or is everything just perfect in your opinion?

If you are saying that the only alternative is either " play dead" or ALPA, then I'd say you're wrong. From what you are saying is there is no way to have a working relationship with management without a CBA, again, I'd say you are wrong. Managment will do only what they have to do to sustain the business, until it becomes a battle. Then it becomes a fight, and, by human nature it becomes a fight they want to win. If you want to negotiate, do it on a local level. If you want to fight then bring in LEC's, MEC's, CNC's, he!! bring in the whole alphabet, but don't expect to have a harmonious relationship with management.

It's like bringing a lawyer with a pre-nup on your first date.

And there is no way ALPA can look after the regionals and the majors with the same intrest, they may say "trust us" but their hands are on your hips.....

The in house union thing was tried...didn't get the nod here!

If SAPA is called the "sophmoric student council" representation then the last in house union program was refered to as "Blinkies Clown Fun House" type of program. It appears as though the current drive is seen as the same.

wow, if soo many of you candy aS experts are so anti-union, then please explain your idea of utopia. Lets hear it....because it is not SAPA (Sorry aS Pilot A.) Just like recently when BH stated "don't forget who you work for". Oh yea, that one didn't make it on the sapa update.

We are only as good as our people we elect...either way. But you seem to be against a democracy...well guess what...you are in the wrong country! Go join North Korea with the rest of the communists. There is nothing wrong with representation and we are not getting that now...so I say again...if not ALPA then what. I am all ears.

If you are saying that the only alternative is either " play dead" or ALPA, then I'd say you're wrong. From what you are saying is there is no way to have a working relationship with management without a CBA, again, I'd say you are wrong. Managment will do only what they have to do to sustain the business, until it becomes a battle. Then it becomes a fight, and, by human nature it becomes a fight they want to win. If you want to negotiate, do it on a local level. If you want to fight then bring in LEC's, MEC's, CNC's, he!! bring in the whole alphabet, but don't expect to have a harmonious relationship with management.

It's like bringing a lawyer with a pre-nup on your first date.

And there is no way ALPA can look after the regionals and the majors with the same intrest, they may say "trust us" but their hands are on your hips.....

So, I'll ask you again....what's your solution? I never said "playing dead or ALPA" were the only solutions, I asked what YOUR solution might be?????

So, I'll ask you again....what's your solution? I never said "playing dead or ALPA" were the only solutions, I asked what YOUR solution might be?????

what's yours? what 'solution' will ALPA provide us? will this 'solution' provide us with:

-more money?
-more opportunities?
-more ability to compete for future opportunities?

and after this 'solution' is applied, will we find ourselves:

-earning more than other regionals?
-enjoying sustained growth?
-at the top of the regional industry?

gosh, if it can give us all that, I'll bet pilots from other regionals will really be lining up to come over here!

.....oh, wait

what's yours? what 'solution' will ALPA provide us? will this 'solution' provide us with:

-more money?
-more opportunities?
-more ability to compete for future opportunities?

and after this 'solution' is applied, will we find ourselves:

-earning more than other regionals?
-enjoying sustained growth?
-at the top of the regional industry?

gosh, if it can give us all that, I'll bet pilots from other regionals will really be lining up to come over here!

.....oh, wait

So, since you've got all the answers what's your suggestion to getting a reasonable offer from management here? I don't feel 1.2% quite covers the last 6 1/2 years with no cost of living increase...maybe you do? Then again you probably just started so you haven't enjoyed getting no increase at all for almost 7 years!

Look, if Southwest had ALPA, do you think they would be a success today? Just a question for you serious ALPA woodies out there. I mean I don't really care either way.

Yes, I believe that SWA would be successful today regardless of who their union was, simply because their management learned long ago that treating employees as their greatest assets is the way to success. A union, regardless of which one, is only an adversary to management if management wants them to be.

Latest resources

Back