Skywest losses IAH COEX flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hey Captjim (aka helmet)
I bet you are a wannabe captain....you probably just throw gear and luggage. For you to sit there and tell the forums that CAL was not happy with SkyWest is the funniest @&$% that I have ever heard. SkyWest has a AWESOME product and will continue to do so for quite some time. Find yourself dude, and for everyone else that thinks Colgan has and can offer a better product than SkyWest....think again. "TRIP" said it right...the race to the bottom continues even though he doesn't know what he is talking about. Cornballs

Av8tor02,

A good product in the airline business is an ontime airline for both people and bags. SKYW has not been doing that hot of a job in either category here in IAH. They show ontime because they call their own times. I have heard a number of ops calls with the times being called ontime when in fact they are late. With the new bag weight issue, they also leave behind people and bags on a regular basis. The product is not by any means the greatest here in IAH. I've flown on SKYW a number of times both on the 120 and on the CRJ. In my opinion, there are other carriers out there that do a much better job. XJT offers a far more seamless, comfortable, and friendly operation that any SKYW flight I've been on.

With that being said, in the end SKYW lost the flying because they were underbid. SKYW has also been losing money since they showed up in IAH so I'll bet they really aren't too upset that this little experiment is over. It really has nothing to do with the product quality. Can Colgan offer a better product? I guess we will all see later this year. This isn't really a big deal for SKYW except for those crewmembers who settled down and made plans to be in IAH for some time.

Any of those ex Beech Colgan's want to chime in the SAAB. How mant times did they cover for a broken SAAB? Just an opion but the SAAB is a MX problem. This quoted directly from the MX dept at colgan. This is a cheaper product, not a better one. Not trying to ruffle the feathers but all of us (the airlines) are strapped for Cash. I have no experiance with Skywest. But to say Colgan has a better product with the reputation Skywest has. Well... any of those ex Colgan's want to chime in...

av8tor02 said:
hey Captjim (aka helmet)
I bet you are a wannabe captain....you probably just throw gear and luggage. For you to sit there and tell the forums that CAL was not happy with SkyWest is the funniest @&$% that I have ever heard. SkyWest has a AWESOME product and will continue to do so for quite some time. Find yourself dude, and for everyone else that thinks Colgan has and can offer a better product than SkyWest....think again. "TRIP" said it right...the race to the bottom continues even though he doesn't know what he is talking about. Cornballs

CaptJim is most definitely a captain here at XJT. He has been for over 4 years now.

While I cannot get into details, if there is a change in who does CAL's prop flying, it will be for a reason. Infighting between one airline's pilots and another is silly and futile, yet continues unabated over time sadly.

Please remember that Skywest has been flying down in Houston on a "pro rate" basis, meaning they (Skywest) bear the risk of each and every flight they conduct down in IAH. If the flight has 1 person on it, they will most likely lose money and if it has 30, they will most likely make money. Their agreement with CAL is NOT a "cost-plus" or "fixed fee for departure" type of deal where the risk is borne by CAL.

Whatever happens in the future, I hope it does not result in job losses at Skywest (if they are in fact leaving IAH) and I hope that whichever prop carrier comes in provides a quality product. CAL can't afford to piss off too many of its customers these days.

-Neal

Last edited:
Question

So can someone say that it is 100% confirmed that Colgan is the carrier that won the contract? Or is this still rumor.

Skaff said:
Hey Jackass, why do you have to post private info on a public site. Let management announce the stuff publicly before you blab. This is why management is so tight lipped in disseminating material.

It’s interesting what happens to respect when you add a little anonymity. Skywest loosing COEX flying is not a company secret. Would one of our V.P.’s post it on I-share if it were?

Scott

Latest resources

Back