Skywest losses IAH COEX flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
Settle down Steve. For starters, CAL didn't have 287 RJ's on order when C'97 was signed. The big order that brought XJT up to 274 aircraft occurred in February 2000, well after C'97 was signed. You just went and blamed a guy who was probably hired in 97 or 98 for something that is really a national type of an issue. Not just CAL...but all mainline carriers.

2000 pilots were not "screwed by the sell off" as you claim. Quite the contrary. If we weren't IPO'd, we'd still be lumped under the CAL financial statements and we'd have as much success in negotiations as ASA is having right now - which is very little unfortunately. The IPO was probably the best thing to ever happen to us. How did it screw us? The FTA would have died due to the sunset date anyway.

Furthermore, CAL didn't "kick us out." You know that too. The "one list" idea was great in theory...and maybe had a chance...way back when (under the IACP), but not now.

Another uncalled-for comment Steve. And you know it. Remember the cardinal rule - don't drink and post. Now on to more important things....when are you buying me my beer? :D

Neal I stand corrected on the RJ orders, however the CAL pilot group did know the RJ ws coming and did nothing to stop them.

As for being kicked out, I seem to recall the IAH CAL reps stating that we would be blocked from striking and thus "hurting" CAL financially (like comair did to Delta) if we did not agree to separate the MEC. So to me that is being Kicked out.

Now the SSL, had merit and a chance. But the CAL guys did nothing. It was very plausible and possible but when 1/2 the pilot group was set to retire in 10 years the only thing they care about is keeping the company solvent long enough for them to get out. And if they sell the pilots below them out....so be it. Other CAL pilots, other UNION pilots of both CAL and EXPRESS.

The argument that we would not have secured a contract like we just did is valid. However, had we not spun off we would continue to have career progression an seniority list movement. In about 3-400 pilots the movement at express is going to come to a grinding halt.

SO ya I'm a little pissed that our "union" brothers sold us out.

I stand by my statement about bout ALPA letting CAL back in. They have historically been the most disfunctional pilot group in ALPA. They also had the only opportunity that ALPA has seen to control the Continental "BRAND" and gave it away...............for nothing!

jbDC9 said:
Oookay there Sparky, we get it, you're pissed off. At everyone. Skywest, Commutair, Gulfstream, Mesa, Chautauqua, mainline CAL, etc... but why?? Tell us exactly how 2000 EXJ pilots were screwed by the sell-off. No more flow-thru? No big deal, there's nowhere to flow to.

?

You are right I am pissed off. I'm pissed that a union is supposed to work together to advance the carreers and job protection of ALL its members.
I know the flying belongs to CAL. Of which we were a part. We were willing to take a staple job, "B" scale, anything. Because we know that it would have protected the CAL "brand". A lot more hardship and heart ache now, but secutriy for ALL the pilots of this union, excuse me, former union.

SO now CAL is going to worry about loosing its flying to a heck of a lot lower bottom feeding carriers than us. What will your battle cry be when US Air tanks and MESA wants to operate 737's paying 75$/hr?

But I guess we lost the battle on brand............or did we ever even fight it?

mckpickle said:
The argument that we would not have secured a contract like we just did is valid. However, had we not spun off we would continue to have career progression an seniority list movement. In about 3-400 pilots the movement at express is going to come to a grinding halt.

Sorry dude...you are wrong. The FTA was going to end whether it be through a greater than 50% divestiture or just by hitting the June sunset date.

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Sorry dude...you are wrong. The FTA was going to end whether it be through a greater than 50% divestiture or just by hitting the June sunset date.

-Neal

Of course it was. The CAL pilots wouldn't support it!

I think hindsight being 20/20, we can all see that putting the RJs at mainline back in the late 90's would have quite possibly saved (or delayed) this race to the bottom. Now, we are attempting to fix the mistakes of the past. That is difficult to do when the two sides (mainline and regional) who really need to be working together to secure the future of all pilot groups are fighting against each other... and management is laughing at us while they watch from the sidelines.

I'm not talking just Continental/ExpressJet, I'm talking everyone here. Imagine the strength of a unified union made up of some major players, all on one side, 5000+ strong each? Delta/DCI, United/United Express, Continental/Continental Express, American/American Eagle, the list goes on.

Using our own airline as an example, imagine what Larry would think if the entire route map could be shut down, attributed the unity of both mainline and Express?

Come two years from now, you will have various regional groups infighting for a piece of the route map pie, effectively dividing CAL even more, from the bottom up. If the pilot groups--and companies--were unified, they could have more control over the future.

Hindsight 20/20.

FlyChicaga said:
Using our own airline as an example, imagine what Larry wouldthinkifthe entire route map could be shut down, attributed the unityofbothmainline and Express?

That's why that would have never happened. Too many pilots on onelist.Having multiple pilot groups doing one carrier's flying ismanagement'swet dream! However I don't think I give them thecredit for seeing theeffects of that decision ahead of time.

Edit: wtf is up with the wacky spaces? I can't fix them either.

propsarebest,

You opinons are welcome on this board but you make a tool out of yourself by insisting in posting in SIZE 7 FONT.It'snot too hard to go toe to toe with McPickle when he's wound up,but Iain't wastin' my time reading your views if you continue to try to beso outlandish.

For the rest of you guys, why exactly should a post about Skywest losing a contract resort into yet another issue with Xjet post. Garbage, really garbage. We need the free crackpipe back.

FlyChicaga said:
I think hindsight being 20/20, we can all see that putting the RJs at mainline back in the late 90's would have quite possibly saved (or delayed) this race to the bottom.

Hindsight 20/20.

That is the problem with ALPA. They have hindsight, but no foresight. They have 20/20 hindsight and are blind as a bat looking forward. Status quo will continue - get used to it.

Latest resources

Back