should I leave MESA for Air Wisconsin?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JetPilot500 said:
"Comparing Mesa to United, Its the same Circus but a bigger Tent." What he told me was that even comparing a commuter to a major, you will see the same BS. Its still the airlines

Well if its the same thing then why leave for a few extra bucks!!!

You make it sound like Mesa and UAL are airlines that have similar contracts and work rules. This is not the case, trust me have flown with guys from all different backgrounnds. i.e. MESA, Gulfstream, Great Lakes, Mesaba, Eagle, Army, Navy, Air Force, etc... Never have I heard a comparison to the one you state. Anyway brother you need to do a little research before making it sound like they are the similar except one is bigger.

Air Wisc v. Mesa

I worked at MAPD briefly nine years ago, so I know a little about the company. I indeed realize that was when Larry Risley et al ran the place and that things improved somewhat when ALPA came in. I also remember that Air Wisconsin was popular with pilots even ten years ago and longer.

Usually, my advice is not to give up any kind of seniority number at any airline, no matter how bad it is. In this case, there really isn't much to think about. We know all the Freedom Air rumors. We have read plenty about Mr. O's other efforts to circumvent the union, which has been Mesa's position historically. I, for one, have heard nothing but positives about Air Wisconsin. Therefore, my .02 advice would be to leave Mesa and go to Air Whiskey.

Once again, it's only my two cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
You have to look long term and try to resist the short term temptations. Air Wis is, I am sure, a great airline. But if you upgrade on the 1900 and get some turbine time, you could put yourself in a position to get on with Southwest, JetBlue, etc. If I were you I would get the 1000 turbine PIC before moving. Once you get that, then if you still want to leave Mesa then you should have a choice of many regionals... or if SWA/JB is hiring you would have the minimums.

You never know when the majors (economy) will come around. You need to put yourself in a position to be competitive when it does come around. That means turbine PIC.

Do you have a college degree?

Let's face it boys and girls, we are in for the long haul. We would all love to have 1000 hours of cappy time but is it really gonna get you to the so called next step? Not only No but in most cases HELL NO!! DAL still furloughing, AMR still furloughing, UAL contemplating bankruptcy, SWA not hiring anytmore, at least in the foreseeable future, CAL who knows but deffinitely not hiring any time soon, NWA just seems to be cruising letting Pennacle grow more and more.

My friends.....the regionals is where it is now at days! Sooooo get comfortable, real comfortable and ride the storm out. As for the person who has a choice between Mesa and Air Whisky, I'd say jump to Air Whisky and at least have descent pay and quality of life while we ALL wait.

Just my honest .02

I agree with the idea of getting the left seat for a 1000 hours then comming over. If you've been able to handle 1.5 years at Mesa in the right seat of the 1900, I would think you could stick it out a bit more to get the time. Once at AirWis, who knows when you'll upgrade. Forget what your hearing about upgrade times now, those apply to folks that were hired 1 to 3 years ago. Your situation could be different.

Good Luck!

S.

or if SWA/JB is hiring you would have the minimums.
You never know when the majors (economy) will come around. You need to put yourself in a position to be competitive when it does come around. That means turbine PIC.
Do you have a college degree?

JB requires 1000 PIC in aircraft over 20,000 lbs and the 1900D is 17,120.

I have a 2 year Associates in Aviation. so, kinda.

whats the upgrade time if I were to get hired into the 328?

Well, seems to me you can go elsewhere on your terms, or you can wait til Ornstein gives your job to a Freedom Air pilot.

The choice is entirely up to you. :rolleyes:

I did not make my point earlier but I would goto Air Wisc. When the majors do ressume hiring? and who the hel! knows when that will be, you will have plently of RJ, BAe-146 PIC time along with all the other that somehow go through this airline funel process. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

BOZ

JetDriven:

Looking at your profile, it seems that we are at the same point in our careers (I have 3000 TT, and have 1.5 Yrs as an FO on a 19 seater).

I cannot give you any direct career advice but I would definately ask the following questions:

1) How much seniority do you have right now? Will you be close to holding a line if you upgrade soon? How much movement is happening in the company now? Route expansion or contraction?

If there is a chance that you will move up pretty quick then there is no doubt that I would stay and get the 1000 PIC Turbine. (There is no movement where I am so I am considering leaving, even though I am one of the most senior F/O's on the property. However, If we were to grow back to our Pre 9/11 size, I would immediately become a lineholding captain).

2) If you leave to go to another carrier, you will be on the bottom of the list, is the new carrier positioned well in the market? Is there a chance you can get hired and then furloughed right afterwards?

The old saying goes, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
(Is the UAL situation good or bad for AWAC? Most likely good, but who can really tell?)

3) Are you happy with your schedules or your commute? Do you live at your base?

If you will have a better commute, or no commute at all by leaving to go someplace else, you may want to take that into consideration. (I am considering AWAC because I live at one of their bases, whereas I commute now. However, my company is commuter friendly so the commute is really good for me. But that could change.)

4) Can you survive on your pay now? Do you have a support network (friends or family) that you would give up if you left?

If you can survive now, you should do much better in CA pay even if it is only at a 1900 pay rate. Do not leave to go elsewhere if you have to give up your support network. (I would not take a new job if I had to pack up and leave. My family lives here, and I am a kept man so my rent is free! (Or so I think!)

5) Are you so fed up with your company that it gets you down?

I feel that way about the outfit I am at. But, then again, is the grass really that much greener on the other side of the fence?

6) Take a look at your resume, what do you really need to be ready for the next upswing in the market?

Judging from your profile, you need 1000 PIC Turbine, and a 4 year degree. Sure, 1000 PIC Turbine in the 1900 is not as good as 1000 PIC in the CL-65, but it will get you hired at most every airline in existance except for JetBlue. In addition, you may be able to bid out of the 1900 after you get your 1000 PIC. Also, Corporate and Fractional Operators like guys with 1000 PIC Turbine too. Remember, industry downturns are times to improve your resumes and qualifications. Downturns are not good times to hunker down and wait.

You may also want to consider finishing your schooling by getting your bachelors degree.

7) Where do you want to be in five years?

I know that I do not want to be working here in five years. I also know that I want to be employed by the company where I will retire within 5 years. Therefore, I need to position myself now, so that within the next few years I have all the necessary items on my resume so that I have a competative chance of making it to that final place. Going to another regional, without giving myself the chance to improve my qualifications now seems to be a lose-lose situation. If in 5 years, I am not where I want to be - I will make a new plan. I might settle for less, or I may get out. But, I want to stay the course that I originally set until the writing on the wall tells me to jump ship.

In my instance, the writing on the wall is written in grease pencil, so it isn't perminent - yet!

throttlejockey

Hi!

AWAC just expanded and is now going to fly as a feeder for AirTran using RJs based in ATL.

I would go to AWAC ASAP, as you can comfortably retire from there if you need/want to, and I don't believe there are a lot of guys retiring from MESA.

Cliff
GRB

Latest resources

Back