Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetdriven

restraint order pending
All this talk about how good air wisconsin is has got me thinking about leaving MESA for AirWis... I am currently on the be1900D as a 1.5 year FO, but I do have the 1900D type, I was furloughed right after I got it so I was never captain. I could upgrade here for 30.00 per hour on the 1900. What can I expect of Air Wisconsin?? LET'S HEAR IT!!

If you are close to upgrading on the 1900, I would stick it out and get some PIC before you look elsewhere. 1000 turbine PIC will open some doors for you, and if you leave now, it may be a few years before you get a hold of it.

If you have the oppurtunity to go to awac, by all means take it, your second year rj fo pay will be higher than your 1900 captain pay, sure it will take longer to gain the 1000 pic hrs, but nobody is really going anywhere for awhile. When the time comes the rj time will look better than the 1900 time anyway. There are tons of other facts to consider of course, but from what I've heard about mesa and johhny o yer probably better off at awac.

Stay at Mesa and get 1000 pic turbine! After that you can worry probably fly the jungle jet there. I personally dont believe that sic time is that important. Heck I was a captain at American eagle but am a couple hundred short of 1000. I now have been a fo on a wide body flying international for 2 years and cant even send jet blue, fedex, ups, or SWA an application. I guess I would be more marketable if I flew a carvan or something.

Also remember this- no matter how good Wisconsin looks...things can change quick. Next thing you know upgrade goes from 2 years to 7. It is a lateral movement so in my opinion it is not worth the risk.

Mesa or Air Wisconsin?.............That is similiar to asking should I stay at McDonalds flipping burgers or should I go wait tables at a 4 star resturant.

What are you waiting for.............Go to Air Willy.

are the newhires going into the D328 or the jet? What are the upgrade times on each? I know the 328 is a deadend but could I still upgrade on it before it goes away?

I don't know a thing about AWAC or Mesa. But, I do have a friend that worked for Mesa and United. And a few years back, I asked him, what he thought about United? His response to me was, "Comparing Mesa to United, Its the same Circus but a bigger Tent." What he told me was that even comparing a commuter to a major, you will see the same BS. Its still the airlines. Granted his airplane and paycheck was bigger at UAL, but you find similar issues at any airline.

My advice, don't leave for a few extra $$. Giving up your seniority at one place and going somewhere else and being low man on the totem pole could put you at some serious risk for being on the street again. Seniority is everything at the airlines, don't give it up for an almost lateral move. Get the PIC time, keep building seniority and move into Mesas jets when the opportunity arises.

Good Luck,
JetPilot500

Let’s do a simple comparison.

AWIS

Better pay
Better retirement
Growing Airline
Potential for THREE type ratings, (the majors like this)
Most importantly, HAPPY/CONTENT pilots!!!!

MESA

Maybe you can think if something, I can't.

The choice is simple,
Family Man

MESA : Maybe you can think if something, I can't.

funny thing is...neither can I. I already got a free type rating from them.
How do I get hired there and what is competitive? I have 2900TT, 1100 SIC turbine, 1600 multi. I also have about 10 hours PIC turbine. all this in the 1900D, I was a freightdog before in twin cessnas.
thanks for all the information in advance.

Well I might get flamed for this, but I think there is a he1l of a lot more to being a pilot and being in aviation than how fast you can get PIC time, or how big of a plane you fly. To me, it aint some race to the top, although to some it is.

If I had that choice, I would go to AWAC in a heartbeat. Quality of life will be far better, you will make more as an FO there an a Captain at Mesa (at least in 2nd year). Right now, there are tons of people out there out of jobs and looking, who have lots of turbine PIC, and there arent that many jobs anyways. It will be YEARS before that majors hire again, so if that is your goal, you will get your PIC turbine at AWAC before then

You can be at AWAC, and still have a nice lifestyle, even if you never get to a major airline. You will be lucky to ever get that at Mesa.

Latest resources

Back