Shoes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dr. Martens best shoe ever made.

Dr. Martens, best shoes I've ever had. My $80 Rockports wore out in 7 months ringing and summoning the dreaded wand at nearly every airport. Now, thanks to the good doctor, I relish the frowns of TSA after declining the advice to remove my shoes and breezing through anyway. My casual brown Docs have lasted three years as I'm sure the new black ones will too. The lug sole is excellent for anyone who does winter walk-arounds in seas of Type 1. About $110. Recommend number 8053. Color in the bit of yellow stitching if you must, or let it be a small amount of rebel shining through. Good Luck

I wear Bates lites (Military Officer shoes) although they make your feet sweat up a storm and my feet dooo stink. They do not set off metal detectors. And when I do set off a detector for something else and they tell me to take my shoes off, they can certainly get a nosefull of my maximus piedus odorus.

Last edited:
Check local Army/Navy surplus stores for "Royal Mail" Doc Martens. These are issued to the U.K. post carriers and are about 1/2 the price of regular Doc Martens (retail about 55.00). No yellow stiching. They look like the black pair on the linked page. I just picked up a pair for 32.00 bucks including tax (on sale). Walked through security this morning without removing my shoes- God that was great!! :p

Well, Just travelled cross country. I try a different pair of shoes each time to see what is and isnt gonna make it beep.

Sketchers. nope. the doc marten copy that sketchers makes. Went out bound just fine but going throuigh for the trip back (Denver TSA compound corall) it went off. so you never know when it will happen or at what strength that detector is set at. Burlington didnt beep. same kind of detectors.

New tech? i think some nice form of plastic/nylon shanks and eyelets will be the new style. theyre already headed that way as its been mentioned above. they should learn from those guys making the plastic guns to make strong plastic shoe parts.

Latest resources

Back