Shoes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

player

Where can one get a pair of shoes that have rubber shanks instea of the steal. I am tired of taking my shoes off at security...

Go to www.ecco.com. Rather expensive but after breaking them in, they are the most comfortable work shoes I have ever had. I believe JCPenny carries them.

I recommend Rockports

While I love the comfort of Rockports, they use more metal shanks than any other company. Even their tennis shoes have metal shanks. (They are infamous to the TSA--jut ask them.) I bought a great pair of Rockports. They were very lightweight, so I was very surprised to discover that they have an aluminum shank. I have to take them off every time. If you want to avoid walking through metal detectors in your socks, avoid Rockports.

DITTO ON ROCKPORTS

My rockports set off the detectors.....land you are right...the TSA people say they are some of the worst! I stopped wearing the rockports!!!

Deer stags have been great for me. I haven't set the detector off once with them. They are inexpensive, comfortable, and are available in a couple different styles.

If you take your shoes to a cobbler (that's a shoe fix it guy to all you Generation Z guys out there) they can remove your steel shanks for about $20 and replace them with fiberglass, plastic or wooden ones. If you've got expensive shoes to start with, this might be the answer. Worked for me!

Counselair

Well thanks for the correction.. new Rockports are out I guess.
Mine are old but well maintained and fine without metal-detector problems ....

There is an ad in Airline Pilot magazine for high density plastic shanks. Website www.resole.com and a toll free number 888 fix shoe
I think this company does the conversion for you.

My rockports (8 months old) never set off the detectors. To each his own shoes.

Try Birkenstocks. They make more than just sandals now, and I'd highly doubt they use metal shanks. (I can see myself eating those words soon :))

Wasn't this covered in another thread recently?

-Boo!

Latest resources

Back