Sharing a hotel room?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely not.

No kidding, recently I had another pilot, in a postition of authority mind you, ask me if I wanted to share a suite. I paused, unsure if he was serious, and asked "why?". His reply was that the rooms were $400 a piece and it would save money. My response was "It would save who money?".

Basically, while his intentions were fine, I asked why he was so concerned about saving money for pax who wanted to go to a resort city in peak season and keep the airplane there for an extended period. The client owns the airplane, he flies it all over, owns multiple companies etc. After gently putting it in perspective the other guy agreed.

I believe many of us put expenses in "our financial terms", while meaning well, this is completely idiotic. A good majority of the pax we fly are in an entirely different world when it comes to financial numbers. After all, the landing/service fee is $700 at BOS, but is that a concern? Of course not, and if it is you'd better start looking for a job. Corporate aviation is never cheap, and getting more expensive by the day.

Flying an aircraft that costs thousands an hour to operate and then trying to save a couple of hundred on hotel rooms is absolutely pathetic, not to mention the rest implications.

Quoted for the truth and common sense.

Sharing rooms under any circumstance is COMPLETELY unacceptable. Plain and simple.....if these guys can spend millions on a jet, and pay $1500-$2500 an hour to operate it, they can afford to shell out another $120 or so a night for a room. Implying anything else is absolutely, completely, totally absurd.

Absolutely not.

No kidding, recently I had another pilot, in a postition of authority mind you, ask me if I wanted to share a suite. I paused, unsure if he was serious, and asked "why?". His reply was that the rooms were $400 a piece and it would save money. My response was "It would save who money?".

Basically, while his intentions were fine, I asked why he was so concerned about saving money for pax who wanted to go to a resort city in peak season and keep the airplane there for an extended period. The client owns the airplane, he flies it all over, owns multiple companies etc. After gently putting it in perspective the other guy agreed.

I believe many of us put expenses in "our financial terms", while meaning well, this is completely idiotic. A good majority of the pax we fly are in an entirely different world when it comes to financial numbers. After all, the landing/service fee is $700 at BOS, but is that a concern? Of course not, and if it is you'd better start looking for a job. Corporate aviation is never cheap, and getting more expensive by the day.

Flying an aircraft that costs thousands an hour to operate and then trying to save a couple of hundred on hotel rooms is absolutely pathetic, not to mention the rest implications.

To me there's nothing worse than flying with someone that is a "real team player" or trying to save the company money. HEY! if you have enough money to charter a $2000 or $3000/hr airplane, you can afford $400 for two hotel rooms.

One of our aircraft owners was going on a trip to California and said he would take care of putting the crew up in one of his investment properties. I certainly was told in no uncertain terms that if the accomodations were not up to par, the crew would be going to an appropriate hotel. They did not want to share anything.
After all this bitching, I finally heard from them and asked if they had moved to a hotel. It turned out, they had been put up in a villa off the beach fully stocked and big enough they did not even see each other unless they wanted.
On the other hand, I have seen where companies get only one day room for a crew. Anything over 4 to 5 hours on the ground, you could get a room. As much as rest, it was to get you out of the FBO and in more comfortable surroundings.

Latest resources

Back