• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scared of What?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with Peter Gibbons - it's the fuel. The wx is easy to deal with, generally. The radar shows the thunderstorms. With enough fuel, even low viz isn't a problem. (in that you shoot the approach, can't get in, go to the alternate)

Trying shooting a tight approach with not much extra gas. I get really interested in the fuel gauges.

iaflyer

Scared........Only of most of the freight planes out there. No, really, fuel calculations and fire are my worst. The rest.......thunderstorms, mins., random challenging weather, don't bother me. I have gotten to a point as many of you have where you know your personal as well as your aircrafts limitations.

Fly safe Ya'll.
FD75

fuel?

flywrite-excellent post, well said

as for the others:

I don't understand being scared of fuel!! None of our schedules push us that far. But if they did, here is a simple solution-if you need fuel, stop into an airport and get some!! I have never come close to running out of fuel and I never will. *^$% the cargo and the schedules, if you're out of fuel nothing is getting to where it's going. I'm totally baffled by this. Did I miss something?

Jeff

wait a sec...fuel??? the one thing you DO have control over in your aircraft, and this is the cause of concern for you fellas?!?

im sorry, but i gott go with 210 on this one. fuel is nowhere near the top of my worries, theres a whole list of other things that i dont have control over that demand a whole hell of a lot more attention than whether or not i remembered to add a few hundred pounds at my last stop.

perhaps someone can enlighten me :confused:

Fuel??

Wingnutt hit the nail on the head. If fuel scares you so much you might want to go back to flight planning 101. There are plenty of things out there to worry about that are out of your controll like (in no particular order):
1 flying single engine at night (appropraite since this all started from a RCY thread)
2 total electrical failure at night (no I dont own a hand held, no cash, dont bust my balls ok)
3 fire
4 Weather, radar only shows precip. Usually that is indicative of turbulence, but not always. Often the turbulence outside the cell is worse than that inside. This makes the notion of skirting along the edge of level 3 and up a dangerous proposition. Also hail does not show up.
I guess the only way fuel scares me is when its on fire. If I ever run out its my own fault. If running out of fuel scares you then you must doubt your abilities.:)
Fly Safe

I aint a skeered

of anything but a menstrating wife with no chocolate in the house, jus kiddin NOT.
As a former firefighter Fire! where ya gonna go?

Jobear

I don't think they are really scared of fuel, I think that is a big concern for them. For those of you who don't understand, well you dont fly something that becomes fuel critical the moment you start the second engin. No one flying a piston plane would understand. Those who have flown Lear 20 series or a Falcon 20 or anything similar know all to well the fuel situation. These guys arent stupid, they know how to plan for fuel. But 150+ kts of unforcasted head wind can make things real tight on a 900 mile leg.

hahaha.... driving to the airport dont apply... thats funny spot!!!

I got scared today when i saw gremlins on the wings.......

I got scared today when I forgot to take off my white van heusen shirt to eat pizza. That was the SHlT, my man!

Latest resources

Back