Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spot

Squidward
I found the "scared of weather" thread very interesting. Out of curiosity, what does scare you? "weather" is a broad topic, is there some weather that does scare you? icing? storms? or do you go no matter what? What else might scare a pilot?, maintenance issues? duty time?

I'm just a low time single engine guy so pardon the questions. Just wanting a discussion on the topic. How would you even define "Scared". I havent scared myself yet. Should "not being scared of weather" be something I strive for or is that just throwing judgement out the window?

No particular point to this thread, I was just wondering how more experienced pilots think...

Fear is a natural instinct which serves to preserve a species. In its proper place it is not a bad thing. The absence of fear in hazardous situations does not show that pilot is macho or skilled, only that he or she is either lying or stupid.

Dont be afraid of low visibility or low ceilings if your skills are what they should be.

Do be afraid of ice. If you are in an aircraft certified for known icing, that fear can be tempered by proper use of the equipment. Regardless of your aircraft capabilities, when you encounter ice, have a backup plan. Systems can fail and ice can kill.

Do be afraid of thunderstorms. This applies no matter what you fly. Some pilots seem to take great pride in their prowess at penetrating thunderstorms. If they maintain the habit they will likely not live to enjoy retirement. Take pride in your fear of thunderstorms-it shows knowledge and maturity.

To summarize: Trust in your skills. The aircraft does not know of low ceilings and visibilities. If the pilot is proficient the legal minimums leave a good safety margin. However, the aircraft does know when it is covered in ice or when it is being ripped apart by convective turbulence. In these situations your skills are meaningless because your judgement has already failed you.

Fuel is the biggest thing I'm scared of. Thats the thing I think I spend the most time calculating over and over again. WX is a close second and is many times a part of the overall thought process I use while flying a leg. The previous respondent hit it on the head. Everything should be a concern and if I'm in my grove...which I ussually am while flying....Good post

The drunks driving huge SUV's or pickup trucks and people talking on their cell phone in same kind of vehicles. In other words idiots on the road

metrodriver said:
The drunks driving huge SUV's or pickup trucks and people talking on their cell phone in same kind of vehicles. In other words idiots on the road

Hey come out to the country and say that stuff. How about drunks drivng ANYTHING. So, is it ok to gab on a cell phone as long as you're a granola cruncher in a Yugo? I'll bet you're a gun control advocate, too.
How about focusing on the person responsible for the irresponsible act instead of the inantimate object used by the person.
They can have my pick-up truck when they pry my cold dead fingers from around the steering wheel!

First I don't have a truck, I drive a normal family sedan. But if a drunk in a geo metro or a yugo would hit me I probably would get out alive. Over the last 6 month I have seen 4 deadly accidents on a 5 mile stretch of freeway here near where I live, 2 by going the wrong way in a pickup truck, one killed 4 people and himself (all barbequed), people from 3 other cars got out alive but badly hurt, another one hit a police officer in a suburban who didn't live to tell about. Drunk bastard lived (like in the other 2 accidents).
Just recently I came home around 0300 on a saturday night. On a 20 mile stretch of freeway I saw 8 accidents, the smallest one involving 5 cars.
When I was flying out of a small country side airport I have seen the medevac helicopter many times to fly drunks that crashed or their victims to a hospital.
And you know how much of your tax money and car insurance money goes to cause alone?
My opinion: if you kill someone under the influence it should count as murder one, and in this great state of Texas that means a trip to the chair in Huntsville

As to your last opinion, you'll get no argument from me whatsoever. However, by your reasoning about suvs and pick-ups, maybe we should also looking into banning transport category aircraft as their size and fuel capacity certainly make them more dangerous as tools of terror if MISUSED by someone.
How much will we permit the nanny state to "look out for our interests?" I would argue that this type of thinking leads only to more denial of personal responsibility.
BTW, how's Texas? I miss it; I used to live in Austin. I even heard occasionally that it really was a part of Texas:)

I agree with Metrodriver... The thing that scares me the most is driving to and from the airport with all these ppl on cell phones, and coming home at 1am... who knows if that Explorer driver is sober.

C'mon, are you really "scared" driving to and from the airport? I agree there are risks but I'm not scared. I have no control over other people's actions so I try not to worry about them.

Maybe the previous thread that stated "if you are scared of the weather then don't apply" (or something to that effect) should have also said "if you are scared to drive to work don't apply" :)

Latest resources

Back