• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for Cathay Pacific Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know everyone has his own take on things, but in general, is COS08 a better or worse deal than COS99 for a new hire, and for US based pilots?

I know that senority does not dictate ones upgrade at CX, So how does one go about applying for comand? Do you have so much time in type, being SFO for so long, a fair amount of asskissing, etc, etc? What dictates who gets a shot getting upgrade? Thanks again.

Hi!

Mayday911: Can you translate that into a more simple format for people like me?

Thanx!

cliff
YIP

Yea, what does San Francisco have to do with the pay? Is there some underlying alternate lifestyle association with "SFO"?

Down with CoS 08

I know everyone has his own take on things, but in general, is COS08 a better or worse deal than COS99 for a new hire, and for US based pilot.

CoS08 is a turd for all involved. The company just moved some money to the front of the pay scale to attract more interest in NA. The dirty little secret is that they took it off the back end and you will be down appx. $50K compaired to my contract over 10 years (provided I can still jump to pax fleet in year 4). The high 4 year annual pay advances were also removed form the contract saving the company further money. All this despite record profits...

Remember that CoS08 was unilatterly imposed by the company after the union refused to vote on it. If it were such a great deal than why did that happen?

Big Red 1,

Don't give up that much senority to come here. While its not a bad job you are not going to find the things you're looking for here!

Cheers,
RD

Last edited:
Hi!

I think COS99 and COS08 are contracts, and I think an SFO is a PAX FO. I'm not really sure, and I would like to have a Cathay person explain the details of what has just been posted.

I recently applied to Cathay online.

cliff
YIP

im not a CX guy, but here you go: COS99/08 : Contract Of Service (yr 99/08). SFO: Senior First Officer. Appearently, there are 9000 paygrades in the british system, SO, JFO, FO, SFO, VSFO, Extr SFO, Ultimate FO, JCA (Comand), Qasi-CA, CA, SCA, Dickhead CA, and GOD.

Last edited:
Big Red 1,

Don't give up that much seniority to come here. While its not a bad job you are not going to find the things you're looking for here!

Cheers,
RD
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks Rhino:

Those are the things I need to hear. I have spoken to many via cell phone or PM, and generally, that was the consensus. I even had the opportunity to speak to a furloughed UAL pilot, who upgraded to freighter Captain at CX in LAX after just a year. He actually gave that gig up and returned to UAL. That spoke volumes.

We did just get a new T/A mid-contract from UAL with some major work rule improvements for us. Perhaps that, along with this year's profit sharing payout, although small (about $1,200 per $30,000 in earnings), will help my mood.

Many thanks again for all those who helped me get back on my horse. Sh*t, only 30 more years to go. Wonder if I will make it.

Sincerely,

BigRed1

Nobody has upgraded to freighter captain that fast in North America.

Mayday

Nobody has upgraded to freighter captain that fast in North America.

Mayday

Mayday:

I spoke to this gentleman and it sounds as though it did happen. Below is a section of a PM I initially got from his father. I am only including a short portion of the entire message as he asked I not post his letter. I can only go by what I read and hear.

Regards,

BigRed1
-------------------------------------------------
...He finished ground school and IOE Jan 1, 06 for CX the same day UA recalled him. He took a bypass.

His usual sked was two six day trips a month. It varied some LAX-SFO-ANC (RON) then ANC-HKG (RON) HKG-ANC (RON) then ANC-LAX. If the plane on the next leg was passing though SFO he would deadhead staying on the plane. Twice CX flew him to ATL to meet his freighter; another time he ended up in JFK. CX flew him to SFO.

He was moving along at CX. He upgraded to relief captain in 11 months; usually takes 18 months...

Hi!

I think "Relief Captain" is some type of FO at Cathay.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back