Questions for Cathay Pacific Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mayday:

I spoke to this gentleman and it sounds as though it did happen. Below is a section of a PM I initially got from his father. I am only including a short portion of the entire message as he asked I not post his letter. I can only go by what I read and hear.

Regards,

BigRed1
-------------------------------------------------
...He finished ground school and IOE Jan 1, 06 for CX the same day UA recalled him. He took a bypass.

His usual sked was two six day trips a month. It varied some LAX-SFO-ANC (RON) then ANC-HKG (RON) HKG-ANC (RON) then ANC-LAX. If the plane on the next leg was passing though SFO he would deadhead staying on the plane. Twice CX flew him to ATL to meet his freighter; another time he ended up in JFK. CX flew him to SFO.

He was moving along at CX. He upgraded to relief captain in 11 months; usually takes 18 months...

Chalk this up to a difference in terms, CX call the IRO, relief pilot, food boy (whatever you happen to call it) the relief commander.

Mayday

Yes. A relief Captain is an FO that has done an extra sim. All new hires are doing this now. Its not a captain position or any more $.

Hmmm. Interesting. CX certainly has a lot of different titles. Relief "Captain" certainly sounds cooler than some of the other more standard terms most other airlines use. Thanks all, for the clarifications.

It never has been called "Relief Captain" - the closest it ever came to that was "Relief Commander". There is only one designated captain on a Cathay flight deck, even when two have been scheduled together.

A relief commander is not the designated eater, that's the second officer (cruise relief) - a one-striper.

Latest resources

Back