Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigRed1

Hi guys:

I have been a United Airlines pilot for 9 1/2 years. I am quite frustrated with the lack of movement (worse now with age 65, no growth, no A/C orders) and a bit concerned with all the merger and consolidation talk spewing from our CEO's mouth every time I turn around. When I first started at UAL, it was a world class, high paying airline job. It is no longer that in the least bit. In fact, the majority of our domestic airline job choices these days are frustrating at best. I am more optimistic about our foreign airline brethren. Those with U.S. bases seem particularly interesting. Cathay Pacific seems like a nice fit for a 35 year old married guy with 3 kids.

I have filled out my on line application for Cathay Pacific, but have not hit the "submit" button. I feel like I want to know as much as possible before I take on this venture.

I would greatly appreciate any help with my questions via a PM and/or a follow up phone conversation. If there are any former US legacy Airline pilots who have made the jump to Cathay in the last year who wouldn't mind letting me pick their brains, I would be very very thankful for the information.

Sincerely,

BigRed1 (AKA Mike)

Bigred1,
I interviewed and was hired at Cathay last year, and I was really impressed by the company during the whole process. In the middle of the interview process I was offered a good corporate job in my hometown, so I ended up turning CX down, it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Several friends of mine work there and they are all fairly happy there. The schedules are good 16-20 days off/mo, pay just came up and there is quite a bit of growth. The interview process is fairly intense, and you have to totally immerse yourself into it for the whole 4-6 months the process takes. My advice, send in an application and give it a try, and start studying the minute you hit the “submit” buttonJ It is not really that hard, but very time consuming.
Good Luck

Bigred1,
I interviewed and was hired at Cathay last year, and I was really impressed by the company during the whole process. In the middle of the interview process I was offered a good corporate job in my hometown, so I ended up turning CX down, it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Several friends of mine work there and they are all fairly happy there. The schedules are good 16-20 days off/mo, pay just came up and there is quite a bit of growth. The interview process is fairly intense, and you have to totally immerse yourself into it for the whole 4-6 months the process takes. My advice, send in an application and give it a try, and start studying the minute you hit the “submit” buttonJ It is not really that hard, but very time consuming.
Good Luck

As short as they are for crews? I don't think so; maybe as an S/O.

Check out pprune.org fragrant harbour section. It's a bit of a pain, but once you learn to ignore to bs, and pick out the blood and guts stuff, it has a ton of good info.

I've been here for about 5 months....so far so good, but still looking through rose colored glasses. I would apply and see what happens...don't study before you have an interview lined up.....the entire process from first interview to class can be in upwards of 10-12 months so give it a go and see how your situtation changes.....good luck. BTW, CX has 65 as well here, the only thing that would really be in your favor is(at least in my eyes) the financial situation at CX is remarkably better than any carrier here in the US. Hope this helps.

18 days off for me in January, and I am not an SO. There is plenty of bullsh!t to deal with at CX but one thing they know how to do is make money. He!!, they even make a couple of million a year of the backs of their staff via space available travel. I would say apply and see what happens. With 9+ years at UAL you would likely be a candidate for "early" upgrade on the -400F based in the US. There are a number of former legacy carrier guys here, most furloughed, some by voluntary job change. The voluntary guys seem to have made the switch for lifestyle reasons...ie. they live in their new base.

Age 65 is in place for CX starting 01JAN, but I think the only guys that will stay around are the guys who think they will bored in retirement and the guys who have nothing in life but the fact that they are a CATHAY COMMANDER. With 16 freighters alone on order and a bunch of 777-300ERs and a handful of A330-300s, the growth might just be enough to offset the increase (by 10 years) in retirement age.

Mayday

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your insightful and informative posts and PMs. I'll let ya know what happens. It is always easier to get a new job if one already has a job. Less pressure. I will check it out and see if I think it would be an improvement over my current situation.

I made 111K this year at UAL as an A320 F/O when you count my W2 and retirement contributions from the company. Not too bad all things considered. I am just at my wits end with the poisonous culture here. We have so much potential. We seem to never live up to it.

I hope CX can give me both the solid earnings opportunities, and just as important, the sense of trust, teamwork, and stability, I cannot get with my current company.

Please post more thoughts if you think of any. Especially those who have worked at an American, United or other U.S. Legacy and are now working at CX.

Regards,

BigRed1

I hope CX can give me both the solid earnings opportunities, and just as important, the sense of trust, teamwork, and stability, I cannot get with my current company.

I don't know Big Red, there is no such a thing in aviation anymore. It might be worth your time to Jump seat to HKG for a few days and hang around some of the watering holes where their pilots frequent and get some insiders picture of what is going on (new hires don't really know how things work there yet) UAL might not be the best gig (company moral) but if you are to make that jump, make it so that you don't regret your decision and FI is not the best place to get facts (good entertainment source, but that is it)

Good luck on your decision.

PS: Have you looked into US based contract work such as NCA?
It might be worth your while to do some serious homework before you make this transition

Bid Red, do you commute at United now? Do you live in one of Cathay's freigher bases? The answers to those two questions could make the difference.

It doesn't hurt to apply. You can always bug out and say no in the end. My main concern with United is that it could see big integration issues in a merger with another legacy. If you think it ain't fun now, just wait until a merger takes place...

I'd rather fly this:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6146283

Good luck.

Last edited:
Cx

I notice with the new pay scales that there is different pay between a 1st yr.FO and a 1st yr.SFO. How is SFO set for the Frieghter division, by quals. or senority? Any info would be appreciated.

Latest resources

Back