• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for CRJ pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I'd never heard of that incident. Good story.

Okay, I retract "never". Truth be told, my next sim event after Pinicale cratered after their self induced double engine failure I asked to try to hit a runway in a CRJ with a double engine failure.

I knew it'd drop like a brick, especially once the gear dropped, so I tried to be way high. Turns out I was way high and despite a slip I blew all the tires on touchdown. (2nd attempt 6 months later was much better)

PS to the other guy right before your post, I do not turn on the half bank for pax comfort and I did already say the pax don't know a thing about spoilers. Use 'em if you want. Use 'em to simply slow in level flight without a good reason and your retarded.

There are two terms in that equation. You evidently are only capable of thinking of one of them. Drag :D Ever wonder why CRJ operaters ride the brakes a lot when taxiing?

Holy crap, I never thought about thrust. I mean why would a jet that has 60,000 pounds of thrust per motor only take 1 mile to slow 10 knots when an almighty CRJ takes 2.5 miles in level flight. I'm surprised you can't go vertical in that thing.

I have zero time in RJs so I don't know anything about riding brakes.

Holy crap, I never thought about thrust. I mean why would a jet that has 60,000 pounds of thrust per motor only take 1 mile to slow 10 knots when an almighty CRJ takes 2.5 miles in level flight. I'm surprised you can't go vertical in that thing.

I have zero time in RJs so I don't know anything about riding brakes.

The RJ has a supercritical wing. This produces very little drag in flight. The 757 does not.

Why, after years flying the darned thing do you continue to use the flight SPOILERS to slow the airplane? I'm getting a little tired of seeing it, frankly. I guess they didn't teach the difference between a speedBRAKE and spolier at ATP or Riddle Diddle. Yet you all think you're da bomb.

Flame away, hosers.

Because there are idiots like you that will post meaningless threads about it.

You are a tardcake sir.

I think the op's point was regarding slowing the plane in level flight. I've seen a few guys do this and it would take a very strange situation for that to not be bad form.

As far as descents, that handle is for MY mistakes, not ATCs. If I'm about to miss a crossing restriction, then by all means the boards come up. If ATC forgot and wants "best rate" then they stay down. If ATC gives some crazy crossing restriction that's going to require 3,500 fpm or more then there is an easy fix..."unable".

If anybody thinks its okay to use the spoilers to simply slow from 300 kts to 200 kts in level flight, then I'd say you are a less than stellar pilot.

Fly safe,

gp

I agree. There's a time and a place. Most of the people that I flew with used them in inappropriate situations (my opinion) but everyone to their own, I guess. Let me state that I have only flown the CRJ-7 not the 200

Last edited:
The RJ has a supercritical wing. This produces very little drag in flight. The 757 does not.

You kidding? The CRJ is a freaking brick. Before the new flap restrictions you could nearly do 250 to the marker (gotta use the evil speedbrake though..or spoiler..whatever).

This site has to be the biggest collection of idiots on the internet. But I bet you guys are laid back and fun to fly with. But only if you don't say you're laid back. Then you're not.

He's probably the same guy that says "when it's your leg, fly it however you want to" then proceeds to bitch about every little thing. There's lots of different techniques that all fall within the constraints of SOP's and the FOM.

Is it safe? Yes/no
Does it produce the desired results? yes/no
If the answers are yes and yes then I simply call it "technique"
To label it poor technique or good technique is simply a judgement or an opinion. Who freaking cares if it meets the other two criteria.

Moderator Reviewed: Posts within the ToS, regardless of how polite or impolite they may be.

/mod

Personal input: this is why I don't read the vast majority of what's on here unless someone reports it and it requires my attention. I just have better things to do with my time than go through threads like this in any other capacity than as a Mod. I mean... really? No... really? (shaking my head at the idea of a pilot CURRENTLY FLYING JETS not knowing about proper speed brake / spoiler use). Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Teaching high-altitude swept-wing jet aerodynamics hasn't ever been *ANY* regional airline's strong suit...

What happened to the days of pilots learning this in college aerodynamics classes? What was that about the usefulness of a college education? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back