• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please help, need medical ASAP!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brandon, first of all, congratulations on your marriage; I hope it's a long and successful one for you and your family.

I agree with Occams Razor. Hiding the truth and burying one's head in the sand is seldom, if ever, the way to go.

Let me qualify that. Never volunteer information, certainly not ignorantly. You should also never hide or falsify information. If you state on your medical application that you have not visited any other physicians, and state that you have not had a history of depression and do not reveal that you have been taking antidepressant psychotropic drugs, you are subject not only to FAA Administrative action, but criminal prosecution. You are guilty of fraud, having knowingly misrepresented the facts.

Lest you think that a minor issue, the penalty is up to 250,000 dollars in fines, five years in prison, and revocation of all FAA certificates, not to mention the loss of a number of civil rights, irreparable damage to your career, etc.

Your best bet right now is to ensure the matter is handled properly up front. Handle it properly, and in the future the only issue you need concern yourself with is checking the appropriate box and putting in remarks, "previously reported, no change." It's that simple.

The primary concern for the FAA is not the medication, but the condition that required the medication. Accordingly, the FAA is interested in two things; seeing that you're off the meds and stable, and that the condition no longer exists. In the case of previous psychiatric intervention, the FAA will want a detailed psychiatric analysis verifying that you are no longer in need of the medication, that the underlying condition that required the medication no longer exists, and just as importantly, that you are not expected to revert to the condition that required the medication within the duration of the class of medical to be issued.

Remember that a medical certificate applies to the date you take the exam, and also implies that no conditions exist at the time of the exam which might forseeably make you medically ineligible during the valid issuance period of the medical certificate. I'm pleased to hear that you're happy and enjoying life again, and that your life has improved. However, where will you be if something unexpected happens...we all respond in different ways; you get depressed, as do many of us. Your wife leaves, the dog dies, you get sick, there's a car accident, you lose your job...are you going to be revisiting the condition that required the medication in the first place? This is an important question, and one that needs to be answered (both by you personally, to yourself, and by a qualified physician, to the FAA) before you can hold medical certification to fly airplanes.

The process is straight forward, but nobody on this board can help you. I strongly recommend you visit Pilot Medical Soloutions at www.leftseat.com, or call them at 800-699-4457. I don't work for them, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and I gain nothing by recommending you go there. You might, however, and it's a free call. Visit them before you talk to your AME, in order to go prepared.

I think you'll find that doing it the right way is a much smaller hurdle than you might think.

Thanks for the advice. I've basically concluded that I'd rather tell the truth on the application, because I don't want to take the chance of losing my certificates, even if it doesn't mean graduating this May. Flying for the rest of my life is more important to me than having to sit on the sidelines for a while. Yeah, I was in pretty bad shape back when I was going through all that stuff, but believe me, I can guarantee that I will never feel that way again in my life. It just won't happen. I know it. I feel as good as I ever have right now, and I just want to get back in the air. I'll call AOPA first, and see what they say, then if I don't get all the help I need from them, I'll call leftseat, even though they are expensive.

Looks Fine

You should not have any problems getting back your medical since you have been off medication for over 90 days. Of course you will need a letter from your physician stating that you are stable and off the meds.

Whats funny is that you could be suffering with severe depression without meds and be legal but if you have mild depression with meds you are grounded!! I would be perfectly OK putting my family on an airliner where the CA has mild depression completly controlled with meds (and no side effects) than a CA with severe depression who refuses treatment.

Sec. 67.107 Mental.

Mental standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:
(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of
the following:
(1) A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly
manifested itself by overt acts.
(2) A psychosis. As used in this section, "psychosis" refers to a
mental disorder in which:
(i) The individual has manifested delusions, hallucinations,
grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of this condition; or
(ii) The individual may reasonably be expected to manifest
delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of this condition.
(3) A bipolar disorder.

(4) Substance dependence, except where there is established
clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of
recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. As used in this section-- --
(i) "Substance" includes: Alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics;
anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as
cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics;
hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis;
inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and
(ii) "Substance dependence" means a condition in which a person
is dependent on a substance, other than tobacco or ordinary xanthine-containing (e.g., caffeine) beverages, as evidenced by--
(A) Increased tolerance;
(B) Manifestation of withdrawal symptoms;
(C) Impaired control of use; or

(D) Continued use despite damage to physical health or impairment of social, personal, or occupational functioning.
(b) No substance abuse within the preceding 2 years defined as:
(1) Use of a substance in a situation in which that use was
physically hazardous, if there has been at any other time an instance of the use of a substance also in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous;
(2) A verified positive drug test result acquired under an anti-
drug program or internal program of the U.S. Department of
Transportation or any other Administration within the U.S. Department of Transportation; or
(3) Misuse of a substance that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on
case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the substance involved, finds--

(i) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or
exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held;
or
(ii) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.
(c) No other personality disorder, neurosis, or other mental
condition that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds--
(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or
exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held;
or
(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges

According to the regs, depression without meds is not disqualifying unless it hinders your performance as a pilot, so it looks like you will be cleared for takeoff!!

Midnight Flyer said:
I'm not saying to fly while taking medication or if your sick, but don't involve your FAA doctor.

Ok, so explain how you handle the question that asks if you've visited any medical professionals since your last physical?

Do we tell the truth, or lie?

Midnight Flyer said:
Trust me, they are not there to help you.

Letmegethisstraight...You are to be trusted on this Forum...but not on a government form where you affix your signature?

There is no middle ground here. If you suffer from any physical impairment or illness, you must not fly. Period.

No doctor ever told a pilot, "You're healthy enough to fly!"

Even the Medical Certificates we're issued don't claim that.

The pilot himself/herself certifies that he/she is well enough to fly. The AME merely certifies that we don't have any detectable conditions that could ground us [Note: The AME checks for only a fraction of the disqualifying conditions], and that a review of our medical history [Certified by the airman by signing a statement that all information about medical history is correct] is not disqualifying.

The AME can't tell if you have a migrane. The AME can't tell if you have blurred vision. The AME can't tell if you get dizzy, had a kidney stone, suffered a concussion, had a seizure, or think Cher is a hottie.

If you sign the form saying you haven't suffered any illnesses or potentially disqualifying conditions, it must be so.

We can cheat on the form I suppose, just like we can cheat on our taxes, our spouses, and on tests.

It's just integrity...no big deal.

Midnight Flyer said:
Man you should have NEVER told your FAA dr. that you're depressed or take depression meds.
Always have a non FAA doctor to go to for regular checkups/when you're sick/etc....
Give the FAA dr. the minimim information and when he/she asks how you're feeling (they always do) tell them "great". Otherwise, you're opening all sorts of doors for screwing yourself.

100% dead on. Keep your mouth shut.

Even better - get a good relationship with your AME - stick to the same one. Then ask him, "hey doc, what If I took XYZ, etc.."

he will say, no - you didnt..or as mine says - see you regular Doc(s) often but call me before taking anything, so if and when you need to we can have the paperwork all ready the day you need a new medical.

Farkin Drs today....antidepressants for having girlfriend troubles. Jesus thats lame. What happened to "the hell with her" and buying yourself a new toy and/or going to look at strippers with your buddies and getting drunk.

A day or two of raging headaches, good times, and maybe a foolish new boat or vette payment - and all is well!!

This touchy feely gayass coffeeshop generation has to go folks!

PS - you shouldn't have married her, I bet shes still bangin that other dude!

Last edited:
A bit off the subject but...........

Do any of you believe the FAA takes the whole medication issue too seriously overall? I say I believe that to be the case because in other highly demanding and responsible professions the mere fact that you take antidepressants is not a show stopper. If a brain surgeon, police officer, fire fighter, school bus driver, or cruise ship captain takes antidepressants as far as I know, this alone will not prohibit them from working. Surely every single one of these safety sensitive professions require at lot more responsibility and training, and are more demanding than flying a C-172 to a $100 hamburger when its CAVU.

Occam's Razor said:
Ok, so explain how you handle the question that asks if you've visited any medical professionals since your last physical?

Do we tell the truth, or lie?

Letmegethisstraight...You are to be trusted on this Forum...but not on a government form where you affix your signature?

There is no middle ground here. If you suffer from any physical impairment or illness, you must not fly. Period.

No doctor ever told a pilot, "You're healthy enough to fly!"

Even the Medical Certificates we're issued don't claim that.

The pilot himself/herself certifies that he/she is well enough to fly. The AME merely certifies that we don't have any detectable conditions that could ground us [Note: The AME checks for only a fraction of the disqualifying conditions], and that a review of our medical history [Certified by the airman by signing a statement that all information about medical history is correct] is not disqualifying.

The AME can't tell if you have a migrane. The AME can't tell if you have blurred vision. The AME can't tell if you get dizzy, had a kidney stone, suffered a concussion, had a seizure, or think Cher is a hottie.

If you sign the form saying you haven't suffered any illnesses or potentially disqualifying conditions, it must be so.

We can cheat on the form I suppose, just like we can cheat on our taxes, our spouses, and on tests.

It's just integrity...no big deal.

Reminds me of the scene where the guy heads explodes after finding out clayton bigsby is actually a black guy. There are plenty of pilots flying on anti-depressants, its a fact; im buddies with a head shrinker and he has airline pilot for clients and more than 1 my freind. You are the one that needs to pull your head out of the sand.

Get off your GD high horse here guy, frankly it stinks.

I'd bet you would make a great cop, with a predisposition for the narc section.

I'm sorry man, you hollier than tho attitude is :puke:

The poor kids prolly screwed himself already by ratting himself out to the faa. Now he has a black mark on his record for the rest of his career, simply because he was down and out for a few months.

Last edited:
Once again, Gulfstream 200 proves that in a side by side comparison, a Kiabab Squirrel would have a higher intellect and more class. Do you do kids parties, too?

Do any of you believe the FAA takes the whole medication issue too seriously overall? I say I believe that to be the case because in other highly demanding and responsible professions the mere fact that you take antidepressants is not a show stopper. If a brain surgeon, police officer, fire fighter, school bus driver, or cruise ship captain takes antidepressants as far as I know, this alone will not prohibit them from working. Surely every single one of these safety sensitive professions require at lot more responsibility and training, and are more demanding than flying a C-172 to a $100 hamburger when its CAVU.

And that has exactly WHAT to do with the price of tea in China?

You are the one that needs to pull your head out of the sand.

McFly, you're really inexperienced, aren't you?

Last edited:
Brandon: Information Technology is THE place to be working for the next generation. I would think that a specialy in Aviation IT would be very beneficial, particularly if you are really serious about mastering the skills and insights required. Get your MA and start a job that pays probably about 3-4 times what you will be making flying. Many of these IT folks are able to work from home office on their own schedule. My hunch is that though a job in Aviation IT does not count for "hours", it will certainly put you in a place, where you can afford to buy more hours faster, while at the same time assess the best employers. Who knows you might like working for Boeing!!

avbug said:
Once again, Gulfstream 200 proves that in a side by side comparison, a Kiabab Squirrel would have a higher intellect and more class. Do you do kids parties, too?

And that has exactly WHAT to do with the price of tea in China?

McFly, you're really inexperienced, aren't you?

It depends if we are using the jimmy hendrix benchmark.

Use your personal mins guys, you know when you dont need to fly and if you want to tell the faa as well, then report yourself.

Hanger rash anyone, go ahead and report it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back