Please help, need medical ASAP!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PAPA FOX! said:
Do any of you believe the FAA takes the whole medication issue too seriously overall? I say I believe that to be the case because in other highly demanding and responsible professions the mere fact that you take antidepressants is not a show stopper.

For one thing, I don't think it matters if the FAR's are too rigid. They are what they are. Either we comply with them, or we face the consequences. The piece of paper, or the confidence of our instructors isn't what makes us good pilots.

It's discipline, judgement, and the ability to manage risk maturely.

I'm guessing everybody has felt some level of depression before. It's a matter of "how much, and "for how long". I have never been diagnosed clinically depressed, or prescribed antidepressants, but many pilots have. If a pilot gets to the point where they need a chemical to keep the discipline, judgement, and ability to manage risk above the thoughts and distractions attendant to medication-necessary depression...they shouldn't fly. That's not just my opinion...it's the law.

As mature risk-managers, we can decide to take the drugs and lie to the FAA. It's only our personal and professional integrity.

PAPA FOX! said:
If a brain surgeon, police officer, fire fighter, school bus driver, or cruise ship captain takes antidepressants as far as I know, this alone will not prohibit them from working.

You're wrong about the school bus driver and the cruise ship captain...but I don't know about the first three. I suspect there are legal restrictions on them performing all of their duties while taking psychotropic meds. Of course, a pilot can do revisions and study for a check ride while medicated. (Joy!)

PAPA FOX! said:
Surely every single one of these safety sensitive professions require at lot more responsibility and training, and are more demanding than flying a C-172 to a $100 hamburger when its CAVU.

Doesn't matter. The FAR's are, largely by necessity, a one-size-fits-all rulebook. Waivers are permissible, especially where there is good history on the condition. 20-years ago there were no pilots flying Pt. 121 with a pacemaker. Now there are hundreds. The FAA, ALPA, AOPA, and other organizations have done a lot of studies on heart conditions, and have developed specific guidelines for heart performance and health.

I think it might be tough for them to develop specific guidelines and limits on depression, or the use of antidepressants.

Are you

a) A "little blue"?
b) In a deep funk?
c) Melancholy to the point of distraction?
d) Suicidal?

Does the drug make you

a) happy, but hyper?
b) moody, but not suicidal?
c) sleepy?

If you want to start a thread about the over-prescription of antidepressants, I'll participate. The issue here is whether or not a pilot taking them should notify the FAA.

Some months ago, maybe a year ago, the FAA went after dozens of pilots in California for falsifying their medical apps. These applicants mainly didn't reveal info about their prior medical history from what I vaguely remember. Can anyone tell me how the FAA found out about these pilots past medical histories?

I never read the privacy forms that doctors have you read and sign, and maybe I should next time, but does anyone know what they really say and what info if any can a doctor release other then to the insurance companies. Also, can that info be given to your company by way of the insurance company?

Erlanger said:
Some months ago, maybe a year ago, the FAA went after dozens of pilots in California for falsifying their medical apps. These applicants mainly didn't reveal info about their prior medical history from what I vaguely remember. Can anyone tell me how the FAA found out about these pilots past medical histories?

I never read the privacy forms that doctors have you read and sign, and maybe I should next time, but does anyone know what they really say and what info if any can a doctor release other then to the insurance companies. Also, can that info be given to your company by way of the insurance company?

When dozens of names turned up in both Social Security Administration and FAA rolls, "they realized there was probably criminal wrongdoing--either lying to the FAA or wrongfully receiving benefits,"Cobar said
source:
http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/ap07-19-113234.asp?t=apnew#body

Erlanger said:

Only the insurance companies can have access to these records unless you give your written consent for anyone else. No, the insurance company can not give the info to your employer unless again you give consent for them. Since HIPPA they are VERY STRICT about this. Heck when my sister had shoulder surgery she had to sign a million different forms just for her own MOTHER to get info!! If by some one in a million chance your employer did find out obviously the resulting lawsuit would be so astronomical that keeping my job would be the least of my worries!!!

As for how the FAA caught these schanigans, the DHS was doing a cross check of SSN's with the airman registry. I have NO SYMPATHY for the pilots who were stupid enough to not consider how easy they would have been found out!! Put 2 and 2 together genius!

macfly said:
There are plenty of pilots flying on anti-depressants, its a fact; im buddies with a head shrinker and he has airline pilot for clients and more than 1 my freind.

Agree. I also think there are pilots flying drunk. I think both groups are doing something stupid. I think they jeopardize safety, and cast our profession in a poor light.

But it's just lying to the FAA...so why should it matter to us?

macfly said:
Get off your GD high horse here guy, frankly it stinks.

If compliance with FAR's is a "high horse", then I'll stay up here, thank you. You handle it your way, and I'll handle it mine. We'll see which one of us has a long and successful career in aviation.

macfly said:
I'd bet you would make a great cop, with a predisposition for the narc section.

Shack! I am a "cop". I carry a gun at work and everything! Perhaps you can rush my cockpit in flight some time and I'll show it to you.

macfly said:
I'm sorry man, you hollier than tho attitude is :puke:

Hope you're feeling better soon. My attitude is not the issue here.

macfly said:
The poor kids prolly screwed himself already by ratting himself out to the faa. Now he has a black mark on his record for the rest of his career, simply because he was down and out for a few months.

I disagree. I don't think getting treated for depression is a bad thing. If you can provide any evidence that pilots who are treated for depression, and properly notify the FAA about it are "screwed", I'd like to see it. I also think it would be a bigger "black mark" to be treated for depression, fail to document it...and have the FAA find out later.

Brandon, I do know somebody that checked "depression" on the medical back in 93'. He was going through the exact same situation with a girlfriend as well. Women, I tell yah! Anyway, I dont think that he had taken any medications, but he lost his medical for 6 months. He only got it back becasue he knew someone in the FAA who pulled some serious strings, otherwise he would have been without a medical for quite a bit longer (as I was told).

What the FAA doesnt know cant hurt you. They are not your friends and they are not there to help you one bit. I am not saying that you may not get your medical for 6 months or more...........certainly not that at all. Perhaps they have become more lenient on situations like this. I honeslty wouldnt know. But as someone else mentioned, having a REALLY good letter from your physician explaining your situation to the tee and that he/she sees no problem with you flying whatsoever is a must ( I was involved in a medical problem previously where my doctors strong and supporting letter totally helped me out).

Just some food for thought. If I can get a hold of my friend that went through this as described above, I will see what other info I can get from him. Until then, good luck Brandon. I am sure that you will get your medical back.

Guitar rocker said:
Anyway, I dont think that he had taken any medications, but he lost his medical for 6 months. He only got it back becasue he knew someone in the FAA who pulled some serious strings, otherwise he would have been without a medical for quite a bit longer (as I was told).

That is very surprising. Either two things must have happened in your friends case. One is that his depression must have been pretty debilitating or two, he must have gone to the wrong AME. From what I hear, most AME's will issue you a medical provided you are off meds and have a supporting letter from your treating doctor stating you are stable and pose no risk to flight safety. According to FAR 67 depression alone is not disqualifying when medication is not being used. If you are depressed and need to see a psychiatrist w/o meds you are in the green. If you don't need psychotharapy but need meds then obviously you are not permitted to fly.

Brandon- make sure you do find the right AME, preferably one who has dealt with this many times before. Another possibility is to try the herbal suppliment St John's Wort. The FAA has no rule against taking this to treat depression and from what I hear it works pretty well for mild to moderate depression.

Last edited:
Quite some time ago I had a student who was ready to solo and I kept prodding him to get his medical because I felt he was ready. Finally he did, he soloed and was working on his cross country flying when he received a call from his AME. Apparently he disclosed to him that some three years earlier (he was in high school then) he was put on Ritalin (not sure about spelling) for being hyper active. He said half the guys in his class were put on it and he only used the medication for three months.
Well, apparently if you’ve been using Ritalin you must wait 5 years (!) after the end of treatment before you can apply for a medical, so his medical was revoked!

I remember the chief pilot at my flight school tried to pull some strings with the feds to no avail.

I also remember discussions with the FAA we had about different medical conditions when all this was happening and I think the minimum “medical denied” time for most situations was 6 months (and depression was one example mentioned then!), 2 years for by-pass surgery (no heart attack) to get a third class, 3 years for by-pass surgery (after a heart attack) to get a third class, etc, etc. It was many years ago (~95?) but it seems the feds take a very conservative approach when it comes to medical issues so whatever you decide talk to an AME you can trust first (maybe on the phone without giving your name?) Also, I agree with a previous posting regarding www.leftseat.com, they are professionals and I think you can be anonymous. Good luck to you!

Latest resources

Back