Please help, need medical ASAP!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oilcanbland

I posted on here about a week ago with a question about my medcal, but didn't get much of a response, so I'm trying it again. Basically, the long of the short of it is...

I broke up with my girlfriend, went through some pretty $hitty times, got really depressed, went to the doc, they put me on an anti-depressant, felt better, we worked things out, got engaged, got married 3 weeks ago, I feel great now, and will never feel the way I did back then, so I'm READY TO FLY AGAIN.

My medical has expired, I've been off the antidepressant medication for almost three months now, and want to get my medical ASAP, but I know that the FAA requres a butt-load of paperwork after you've came off an antidepressant. I'm in school, going to school for aviation, I'm a pivate pilot, instrument rated, was about ready to get my comm. when all this $hit happened. Now, I haven't flown since last October, have around 250 hrs., want to graduate by May, need my Comm, CFI, II, & Multi to do so.

Basically, I need to know this. Is it possible to do this?? or am I looking at a year of reviews by the boys in OK to get my medical again??? I've been in school for almost 6 years, already have a degree in Information Technology, and am ready to get out, but I don't want to leave school without that Professional Aviation Flight Technology degree, since I have all the classes required for the degree, but just don't have the flight time yet. I know I'll get my medical again eventually, but I just hope I can get it soon, so I can graduate by this spring. I just joined AOPA so I can get the medical advice, but my question is this. What do I have to do to get into the air as soon as I can????

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Brandon

According to the AOPA...

I was taking antidepressants several years ago, but I'm not taking them currently. Can I get my medical back?
The FAA medical application asks if you "currently" use any medication. If you have a past history of depression or any other condition that was treated with an antidepressant, and you have been off medications for at least 90 days, reissuance of a medical certificate is certainly possible. You will need to have a report from your treating doctor summarizing your condition, how it was treated, how long it was treated, the date medicine was discontinued, and your current status. If the symptoms have not recurred and you remain medication-free, the FAA will probably be able to find you qualified for a medical certificate.

You may also want to speak to an aviation attorney that specializes in airmen medical problems. A friend of mine hired one and was able to expedite geting his medical back.

Instead of asking other pilots on this board, wouldn't it be a better question to ask an AME? No matter what the answer to your question is, you need proffesional guideance from someone who knows where to find the correct answers. If you want your medical back, find an AME who will work with you.

Man you should have NEVER told your FAA dr. that you're depressed or take depression meds.
Always have a non FAA doctor to go to for regular checkups/when you're sick/etc....
Give the FAA dr. the minimim information and when he/she asks how you're feeling (they always do) tell them "great". Otherwise, you're opening all sorts of doors for screwing yourself.

Midnight Flyer said:
Man you should have NEVER told your FAA dr. that you're depressed or take depression meds.
Always have a non FAA doctor to go to for regular checkups/when you're sick/etc....
Give the FAA dr. the minimim information and when he/she asks how you're feeling (they always do) tell them "great". Otherwise, you're opening all sorts of doors for screwing yourself.
Couldn't resist it. This is one of those times when the cover fits the book.

Midnight Flyer, I didn't tell any FAA people anything yet. I have been going to a regular doctor. I'm not telling anyone anything yet. I will definitely talk to an AME eventually, but I'm just trying to get all the advice I can before I go to get my medical. Thanks for the help guys.

And im sure there is not one professional pilot on anti-depressants.:rolleyes:

Fact is, never volunteer ANY information to the FAA. Go get your medical and keep a tight lip about your depression, unless of course you were suicidal er something to that degree. Everyone gets in a rut my brother, shake it off and get back in that pit.

GL!

Midnight Flyer said:

"General Quarters! Set level 1-Alpha! We have an ethics breach in Sector 2!"

What you're advising is to break the law? That's the solution?

Chronic chest pain?

"I feel great, doc!"

Double vision?

"I feel great, doc?"

Taking psychotropic drugs?

"I feel great, doc!"

Here's a bulletin:

The regs are written in blood. Morons who've gamed this system have not only killed their fellow crewmembers, but innocent people like their students, passengers, and unlucky crash-absorbers on the ground.

I think you do professional aviation a disservice when you dispense unethical and illegal advice like that. Regaining a medical is a pain in the butt for the pilot. Regaining the trust and respect of the traveling public and our fellow pilots is even tougher.

My advice: Call your AME. If you're asymptomatic and can pass a redimentary cog-screen, you'll get your medical back.

Occam's Razor said:
What you're advising is to break the law? That's the solution?
Basically yes.

I'm not saying to fly while taking medication or if your sick, but don't involve your FAA doctor. Trust me, they are not there to help you. They can ruin your career advancement and on some job applications, I've seen companies ask if you've ever failed a medical.
If you're depressed and taking anti depressants for example, simply take a leave of absence from your current job until you get yourself well. But never tell the FAA you're depressed or taking those meds.

Same with anything else; if you have chest pain, see a regular doctor, take a leave of absence, get your health issue fixed, then go back to work. Simple as that.
I've seen guys try to get their medicals back after they were grounded by the FAA and in some cases, it's taken years. That's lots of your personal time, undue stress and money. Remember, seniority is everything and if you're pu$$y-footing around trying to prove to the FAA that you're no longer depressed, you're wasting valuable time.

Again, I am not advocating flying on meds or with serious medical conditions, but ground yourself and see a regular dr.

oilcanbland said:
Midnight Flyer, I didn't tell any FAA people anything yet. I have been going to a regular doctor. I'm not telling anyone anything yet. I will definitely talk to an AME eventually, but I'm just trying to get all the advice I can before I go to get my medical. Thanks for the help guys.

Good. If you're off the anti depressants, then take your physical as usual, keep your mouth shut and graduate this Spring. Simple as that.

You asked for help with this issue, so here's my humble .02 worth. You'll find people like Occams razor take the more conservative approach, and that's fine if somebody wants to do it like that, but just remember, you may be setting yourself up for alot of unnessary heartache and wasted time.

Latest resources

Back