Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have Left Fractionals for Airlines or Corporate - Happier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any schedule. I'm talking schedule vs. part 91 no schedule.

A lot of guys here never worked corporate and don't understand that hard schedules are EXTREMELY rare in the corporate world.

I was with RTA/FLOPS for 6 years. Bailed in '06 for FedEx. Liked my frac job, but I can't begin to tell you how much better my current gig is.

For those fractional pilots who departed or are looking to depart now, what percentage are looking at jumping to the airline side vs corporate? In other words, has the type of flying done in fractional flying (i.e., adhoc flying, flying VIPs to resort destinations, etc) persuaded one type of flying vs another? If you have flown fractional for years, does flying an A320 from LAX to JFK several times a month for Virgin America or flying A319s for Spirit between FLL and LGA sound appealing? Some pilots would love the inherent stability of airline flying and some would hate it... Sort of a loaded question, but I have spoken with fractional pilots with passionate views about types of flying and what they would do...

I also understand that getting furloughed gives you few choices sometimes to support your family. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to FedEx...

Last edited:
Flying for a major airline, while not as much fun as frac flying, is a far superior career. Let me qualify a bit. I am not talking about Spirit, Virgin or any regional. Jet Blue maybe is a possible exception. I do include FedEx and UPS but not all the other cargo outfits no matter how long they have been in business. Income, QOL, and the ability to forget the job when you go home are huge. Now, if you insist on living in one place, and cannot get a major airline job close to that place, then you will have to commute. This sucks when junior, and will erode your seniority even when senior. Those fracs with liberal basing policies might be better for you (if you can get on and stay on). Living in (or near) your base with a major is the best job in aviation. You will make far more money, be home more and can leave the job behind when off duty.
I've done both. Frac flying was a blast but for a career, the majors are far better.
Helm

I left Netjets for Spirit recently and I'm much happier. I have worked for other airlines...including Jetblue.

Much easier job and the days are shorter. That being said I wouldn't commute, California to JFK to work at Jetblue. I learned the hard way on that one...
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

I think both have their merits.

121 Major... Live in base... Loved the money. Loved the crews and layovers. Fun. That fun factor has changed a bit I think in 11 years...

NJA... Money is ok... Could be better. QOL is great once I'm off the airline and away from the ERRline terminal. Schedule allows me to actually have a life outside of work. I can actually plan dental appointments. Also, the schedule allows me to pursue other revenue producing ventures that completely eclipse what just a pilots salary anywhere could equal.

I wouldn't say either is a bad choice... Unless your mindset is your limitation.

One of the best threads ever! I love NJA, but am considering a managed plane with a guaranteed contract. Any thoughts?

One of the best threads ever! I love NJA, but am considering a managed plane with a guaranteed contract. Any thoughts?
Get out while you can. I question the long term viability of NJA. My opinion is obviously biased seeing as I need about 500 of you guys to bail so I can get recalled, but that aside, if you find something more stable than Netjets I think you'd be remiss not to jump on it. Hansell could very well sink this place. He doesn't need Warren and Berkshire to make his millions and boost his ego as Sokol did, and to a lesser extent, Santulli. This makes him one of the most dangerous SOBs out there to your career.

How long does that contract run? Bet it's not long enough for a career. What happens after it runs out? Something to consider.
Helm

Latest resources

Back