Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have Left Fractionals for Airlines or Corporate - Happier?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Clearly the last few years at the fractionals have been very rough. I remember when getting a Netjets interview back in 2007/2008 was like winning the LOTTO... As I recall, even Flight Options was considered "the" place to be back in the early 2000s when it was experiencing great growth.

Obviously many pilots have been furloughed and forced to find greener pastures (or even give up aviation). All of the fractionals have laid off people. So, I thought it would be interesting to hear from pilots who transitioned out of the fractionals. For those who have departed the fractional industry, questions include:

- How does your current flying gig compare to your fractional job?

- Are you happier at your new gig? If so, why? If not, why not?

- Do you miss fractional flying and that lifestyle? What do you miss about it? What do you not miss?

- How does the flying equipment compare outside the fractional world - impressed/not impressed? Maybe your current aircraft can't compare to the CL300 you flew at Flexjet in terms of...

- If you could return to the fractional world (i.e., offered recall), would you return or not?

All of the threads on this forum have been sounding the same recently - people getting updates and speculating about aircraft orders. So, just trying to mix it up and get some comparisons between previous fractional jobs and the new reality (perhaps even better than the old gigs).

Appreciate any objective answers vs. the typical sarcasm and name calling...

PMs also welcome.

Last edited:
Furloughed from CS now CA. Flew corporate for a pretty good gig 3 guys on a 560XL but had to always be within a hour of the airport. Pay was average but benefits lacking. My wife and I decided that the airline life style was best for us been at Virgin almost 2 years. To preference I have been both a airline guy and corporate/charter guy a few different times in my career.

Chairman

So which do you prefer if money were no object? I was part 121 (commuter, LCC, and major) for about 10 years and have now been corporate (part 91) for 8. I'm not getting younger and pondering whether or not to try and make one last jump in the industry.

I don't mind taking a paycut provided there is another significant upside. There's more to life than money.

So which do you prefer if money were no object? I was part 121 (commuter, LCC, and major) for about 10 years and have now been corporate (part 91) for 8. I'm not getting younger and pondering whether or not to try and make one last jump in the industry.

I don't mind taking a paycut provided there is another significant upside. There's more to life than money.

For Corporate it will really depend on the Gig. After 9/11 the airplane was sold and back to the airlines I went. Some treat you like a family member and professional and others just like hired help. My last gig was great home every night but we had to move away for the job and with no time off although many days of not working my wife was not to happy. Corporate is very much who you know for getting your foot in the door.
The fractional flying was ok but 7 days gone was a bit tough but airlining from home was nice as well as all the hotel and airline perks but with every day being close to a 14hr duty day I need 7 days off to just catch up on rest.

Was an in domicile regional captain making 100k+ and had it pretty good, but did not have faith in that business model long term and chose a legacy which put me on the street with in the first year.

I prefer the schedule and life style, jumpseat, travel bennies etc that the airlines offer. I now commute which I have not done in 10 years. And my commute is easy only 1 leg and over 15 non stop flights a day. If it was any any worse I am not sure I would still feel the way I do. But the more flexibility in life style is right for me right but with the looming threat of a merger or BK or shut down that can happen without warning. But I will take that risk..

Chairman

All of the fractionals have laid off people.

Avantair has not laid off one single pilot. A look at our quarterly statements will tell you that we're making it happen only by the skin of our teeth, but we're quite proud of the fact that we don't have anyone on the street.

Times are getting better for the fracs. I think that 2012-2014 will be a time of recovery, followed by a real flourishing of private travel in the years that follow.

Blue skys ahead for everyone!

I am a nja refugee to corporate and feel very fortunate. I make more than I would as a nja captain and work around 10 days a month with few overnights and no on call. I realize that there are very few corporate jobs out there that are this good so I am certainly grateful. However, if we have learned anything from this industry we know it can change on a dime, I still have a seniority number at a major airline and nja, but hopefully will not need to go back when recalled.
A lot of uncertainty surrounds fractional flying at the moment, once you are in with a good corporate outfit you can't even compare the two.

I am a nja refugee to corporate and feel very fortunate. I make more than I would as a nja captain and work around 10 days a month with few overnights and no on call. I realize that there are very few corporate jobs out there that are this good so I am certainly grateful. However, if we have learned anything from this industry we know it can change on a dime, I still have a seniority number at a major airline and nja, but hopefully will not need to go back when recalled.
A lot of uncertainty surrounds fractional flying at the moment, once you are in with a good corporate outfit you can't even compare the two.

Good for you!

I'm going to guess you're a real professional and deserve the position.

Luck may put you in a position to succeed, but a superior work ethic creates success.

Not sure what you are getting at with me but you are obviously tongue in cheek. Back to the point, I was lucky to get the job, and I have good work ethic or it would not have lasted this long. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back