• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot tells passengers: this plane's a deathtrap

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Going, MOST ex-military pilots who eventually fly civilian approach their new job with a "Unions suck and are unnecessary" mentality. I know I did. I don't know your personal experiences, but when I was hired I was VERY leery of unionism. The military has a "must accomplish the mission" mentality which I quickly learned is absolutely dangerous in the civilian world. I learned that the unions are not clones of the corrupt '60's labor organizations but they are legitimately needed and perform a vital function. As someone mentioned, a union on property is like our Gov't checks and balances; Congress vs the Executive branch. The alternative is to be a flunkie in a dictatorship, like Stalin's USSR.

... unions are not clones of the corrupt '60's labor organizations but they are legitimately needed and perform a vital function. As someone mentioned, a union on property is like our Gov't checks and balances; Congress vs the Executive branch. The alternative is to be a flunkie in a dictatorship, like Stalin's USSR.
Well put! In fact, most "professionals" have unions of one sort or another. Call them "Professional Organizations" if you like, but they function in many ways the same as unions do. They work towards the improvement of the services their members provide, the betterment of their working conditions, and to protect their members on those occasions when their conduct or the quality of their services is called into question. One need not apologize for associating with others to improve his craft or protect his livelihood.

Doctors have the AMA, lawyers the ABA, pilots the ALPA (and a few independent organizations). In fact, many people don't consider an individual a "made member" of his chosen profession until he's affiliated with that profession's governing body. That's certainly true of the 3 mentioned above.

Like parachutes and handguns, unions and professional organizations are not infallible. But like them, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.

Latest resources

Back