• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New SKW/ASA Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a company-man getting a company-position. How is it a bone head move? Just because it doesn't benefit the pilot group doesn't make it a bad choice. In fact, it, unfortunately for us, makes it a scary one.

I don't think it is detrimental to the pilot group. Give the guy a chance.

Considering the learning curve which comes with a position like that, there's no way they could appoint a 'line pilot" into that position.

Our years of experience pushing thrust levers in no way prepares us for a management position, nor do cockpit observations of what's wrong in the world qualify us.

While I would like to see more line experience in there, the last time we had a bunch of line pilots in those positions, things were a little strange. Promises were made and not kept. Intentions were in the right place, but it was less than perfect.

Considering the learning curve which comes with a position like that, there's no way they could appoint a 'line pilot" into that position.

Our years of experience pushing thrust levers in no way prepares us for a management position, nor do cockpit observations of what's wrong in the world qualify us.

While I would like to see more line experience in there, the last time we had a bunch of line pilots in those positions, things were a little strange. Promises were made and not kept. Intentions were in the right place, but it was less than perfect.

I disagree. As a Captain, you are a manager. If you aren't, you are not doing your job! Think of your job as a Branch Manager of a major company. They entrust you with a $25 million asset, thousands of lives, and the charge of going from point A to point B safely--all the while dealing with many different obstacles and challenges. The skills learned transfer into many different jobs.

I disagree. As a Captain, you are a manager. If you aren't, you are not doing your job! Think of your job as a Branch Manager of a major company. They entrust you with a $25 million asset, thousands of lives, and the charge of going from point A to point B safely--all the while dealing with many different obstacles and challenges. The skills learned transfer into many different jobs.

I'm inclined to agree here as I also see this concept in action. Many pilots I know end up starting businesses and are by all accounts successful. Captains learn (without having much of a choice as they are thrown into it) leadership and management skills just by being captains and dealing with crews. It's forced upon them. Of course, some guys may not be good at it.

Buscap, reducing what you do to simply "pushing thrust levers for years" shows that you aren't really giving full credit to what you do (assuming you're a captain). Unless that really is all you do in which case, you suck.

I'm inclined to agree here as I also see this concept in action. Many pilots I know end up starting businesses and are by all accounts successful. Captains learn (without having much of a choice as they are thrown into it) leadership and management skills just by being captains and dealing with crews. It's forced upon them. Of course, some guys may not be good at it.

Buscap, reducing what you do to simply "pushing thrust levers for years" shows that you aren't really giving full credit to what you do (assuming you're a captain). Unless that really is all you do in which case, you suck.

I've heard, and Buscap pointed it out earlier, that putting a line pilot in that position has been tried before, and it didn't work out well. Everyone I've talked to that has worked with DG has nothing but great things to say. So far it looks like a great move. ASA has a great future ahead as we will all soon find out and the company moves are in preparation for that.

ASA has a great future ahead as we will all soon find out and the company moves are in preparation for that.

What specifically are you talking about? Keep hearing about an announcement, but what is it? Brad change his brand of mustache wax or what?

I've heard, and Buscap pointed it out earlier, that putting a line pilot in that position has been tried before, and it didn't work out well. Everyone I've talked to that has worked with DG has nothing but great things to say. So far it looks like a great move. ASA has a great future ahead as we will all soon find out and the company moves are in preparation for that.

There are several major attributes that can be associated with this individual in his work experience.

1. He is an excellent administrator. Although somewhat quiet, he is very detailed, follows through, and has created and implemented many processes that have made line flying simpler but compliant. He has a long history of success.

2. He treats the people that work for him with respect and is very loyal to them which has created a great team and team effort. He knows how to motivate people in a very positive way.

3. As a result of his Leadership-by-Example, and the strong relationships he has developed within his cadre, the people who work for him have an intense loyalty for him and are committed to his leadership and the goals of his mission.

I am quite sure he will excell in his new position as he knows how to create a great work environment, motivate people through his leadership and people skills, and cross the goal line! He deserves our full support and I am confident that he will make a positive mark in his new position! Among many of us who know him, he has proven his metal and medal!

There are several major attributes that can be associated with this individual in his work experience.

1. He is an excellent administrator. Although somewhat quiet, he is very detailed, follows through, and has created and implemented many processes that have made line flying simpler but compliant. He has a long history of success.

2. He treats the people that work for him with respect and is very loyal to them which has created a great team and team effort. He knows how to motivate people in a very positive way.

3. As a result of his Leadership-by-Example, and the strong relationships he has developed within his cadre, the people who work for him have an intense loyalty for him and are committed to his leadership and the goals of his mission.

I am quite sure he will excell in his new position as he knows how to create a great work environment, motivate people through his leadership and people skills, and cross the goal line! He deserves our full support and I am confident that he will make a positive mark in his new position! Among many of us who know him, he has proven his metal and medal!

Well said.

Latest resources

Back