• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Line Up and Wait" - Let's Hear it for Globalization

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never have a problem understanding French controllers. I have never had one once speak French to me.

That a French controller speaks French to other pilots is not my concern, as I am not in their cockpit.

That you worry about it is a personal problem, for you.

Ego, you say...for allowing the French to speak their own language in their own country? No. Ego is demanding that everyone else speak your language. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

The Ugly American lives on. Do you simply harbor those ill feelings, or do you actually open your mouth and stupidly say something about it when in someone else's country?

Following ICAO convention is a courtesy. Yes, I'm very familiar with ICAO policy and procedure. However, nothing prevents ATC in other countries from using their language locally, and this is often the case. I hear Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, French, Russian, and so forth, regularly. What I don't hear are those languages used when communicating with me, and beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Perhaps you need to mind your own business.

I never have a problem understanding French controllers. I have never had one once speak French to me.

That a French controller speaks French to other pilots is not my concern, as I am not in their cockpit.

That you worry about it is a personal problem, for you.

Ego, you say...for allowing the French to speak their own language in their own country? No. Ego is demanding that everyone else speak your language. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

The Ugly American lives on. Do you simply harbor those ill feelings, or do you actually open your mouth and stupidly say something about it when in someone else's country?

Following ICAO convention is a courtesy. Yes, I'm very familiar with ICAO policy and procedure. However, nothing prevents ATC in other countries from using their language locally, and this is often the case. I hear Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, French, Russian, and so forth, regularly. What I don't hear are those languages used when communicating with me, and beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Except you didn't say that. You said that the French controllers speaking English to English speaking pilots is a mere courtesy.

Sorry that you're so clumsy with your words. Clumsy backpedaling doesn't help your lack of clarity.

Perhaps you need to mind your own business.

Perhaps you need to remind yourself that you are posting on a PUBLIC message board. If you can't handle it, take all of your exchanges to the PM's or put me back on your ignore list. Until then, I'll continue to call out your BS when I see it. If you don't like it, tough cookies.

Except you didn't say that. You said that the French controllers speaking English to English speaking pilots is a mere courtesy.

I said nothing of the kind. Your failure to comprehend doesn't change the fact.

Perhaps you need to remind yourself that you are posting on a PUBLIC message board.

Perhaps you need to learn to comprehend.

I stated that one need not be concerned about the French speaking French to other French pilots, and for that one should mind one's own business. Posters here have stated that it is their business, and that they feel the French should speak English to everyone, because those posters want to know what is being said.

Tough.

It's not the poster's country. Sheer arrogance is flying into another country and expecting that country to speak your language.

The French speak English to English speaking pilots. They are not obligated to conduct every single transmission in English, and they don't.

I hear other languages in nearly every country I visit. The only issue, when conducting international operations, is that they follow the ICAO convention of English where required. I always receive ATC instruction and communication in English, and for that, can't complain. If ATC elects to talk to other aircraft in their native language, as is the case in nearly every country, so be it. Not a big deal.

Again, that's their business. Mind your own business.

...I will say that having aircraft on the same frequency speaking a different language does not help in one's situational awareness as to where other airplanes are and what they are doing in the terminal enviornment...
(ie: a controller clearing a plane to depart an instersecting runway while I am on short final to another runway... that could be a conflight

You said;

That the French speak English to you is a courtesy and a nod to international convention.

I stated that one need not be concerned about the French speaking French to other French pilots, and for that one should mind one's own business. Posters here have stated that it is their business, and that they feel the French should speak English to everyone, because those posters want to know what is being said.

No, you said;

That the French speak English to you is a courtesy and a nod to international convention.

The French speak English to English speaking pilots. They are not obligated to conduct every single transmission in English, and they don't.

Except you didn't say that. You said;

Mind your own business.

Public board. Repeat that slowly to yourself.

Last edited:
It's a public board. Got it. That was never in question. Your failure to comprehend basic English, however, is clearly in question. When I stated "Mind your own business," clearly referring to the Ugly Americans who seem to feel that the world should speak their language, I meant just that. You seem to have a problem comprehending this.

When in another country and hearing people speak their native language, don't feel that you're obligated to have those communications repeated in English. The communications weren't for you. Mind your own business. Seeing the light, yet? Still not comprehending? Is English not your native language, then?

On this public board, we generally speak English.

In foreign countries, other people speak other languages. That they may speak English to you is a courtesy.

That other countries follow ICAO convention and offer the condescension of speaking English, is a courtesy offered internationally.

I have never had a foreign ATC fail to honor that convention, and offer me that courtesy.

Have you? No? Then why are you sniveling?

Last edited:
In foreign countries, other people speak other languages. That they may speak English to you is a courtesy.

There you go again. If ATC doesn't speak English to English speaking flyers, then the ICAO will have a problem with that. Not to mention, Airlines based in English countries that provide service might have a problem with the continuation of that service if that country's ATC does not speak English to their pilots. No, it is not a "courtesy".

That other countries follow ICAO convention and offer the condescension of speaking English, is a courtesy offered internationally.

I have never had a foreign ATC fail to honor that convention, and offer me that courtesy.

Condescension? Huh? Sure, ICAO signatories can break away from ICAO standards. However, if that country wants reciprocation along with any of the other benefits that come from association with ICAO, they need to adhere to ICAO standards...which includes speaking English to English speaking flyers. It is not a "courtesy".

I'm enjoying watching Waka and 200EasyGuy b***slap avthug. He needs a good beat down.

That said, this whole thing got started because avthug wasn't smart enough to understand the point I was making (partially in jest), that since ICAO is having such success in getting the USA to change everything it wouldn't surprise me if we had to start speaking French someday at ICAO's insistence (although maybe Chinese would have been more appropriate).

Any way...

Easier to just put him on ignore and not respond to his drivel.

Last edited:
other languages

For one thing, everyone speaking the same language certainly enhances situational awareness. Wouldn't you agree?

Tough.

It's not the poster's country. Sheer arrogance is flying into another country and expecting that country to speak your language.

I hear other languages in nearly every country I visit. The only issue, when conducting international operations, is that they follow the ICAO convention of English where required. I always receive ATC instruction and communication in English, and for that, can't complain. If ATC elects to talk to other aircraft in their native language, as is the case in nearly every country, so be it. Not a big deal.

Again, that's their business. Mind your own business.

Latest resources

Back