• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 23 aerobatic routine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You gotta love it! Especially when its cold out and those spooled up CJ-610s make that beautiful crackle sound. Music to my ears.

I don't mean to talk trash at all....I had nothing but respect for Jimmy Franklin, Bobby Youngkin and all....They were some of the greats that will never be rivaled. But I saw the Masters of Disaster thing at Sussex airshow and quite frankly, it was not a good idea. Those guys would come zipping through the smoke from that truck...it was IMC Aerobatics. There were a few times when they popped out of the smoke you could see last minute adjustments right before they passed. Nothing against their skills, they were awesome pilots....but they were also partially blind in that smoke. It was a tense show, I didn't want to see anyone get killed that day. I know that these guys like Sean Tucker and Jim Leroy push it to make people think that they are crazy and minutes from crashing when they are fully in control of the situation.....I think these guys pushed it just a little too far with the smoke.

I miss Jimmy Franklin, I loved his act and he was such a nice guy.

Yeh, I saw them do the show a few years back in Oshkosh..

First words out of my dad's mouth... "Those guys are gonna die doing that..."

I loved both of their acts... but they were living on the edge with the Masters of Diaster show..

Yeh, I saw them do the show a few years back in Oshkosh..

Me too. I knew nothing about their show when we showed up. I will never forget being overcome with confusion the first time I saw that Waco and tried to put together the noises that were coming out of the thing! I recall seing a Waco, and hearing a jet...weird. Great show though.

The first time I saw Jimmy Franklin was at the Ida Grove airshow in Iowa. I was 20 years old and just a private pilot then. I remember thinking that he was definitely going to crash that day. That inverted flat spin down to 300-400 feet was insane!

Many years later I was crewing the PBY at an airshow in Midland TX and I ran into him on the flight line. I told him about the first time I saw him and that I was sure he was going to die that day. He laughed and said it was all part of the show. He said "Next time you watch my act, pay close attention to the airplane. After I come out of the inverted flat spin I kick the rudder back and fourth and goose the throttle a bit to make it look like I am out of control. Then I fly it right to the ground on the pullout, but it looks like I am pulling as hard as I can to keep from hitting the ground."
Sure enough I watched his routine a few hours later and you could see him kicking the hell out of the rudder and flying it right to the ground. I felt like being let in on a secret. Boy he was a great pilot.

A few years later I saw him again at another airshow with not such a happy ending. I was the copilot on a BE 1900 flying into SPI. The airshow was 'paused' for us to come in and land. After we dropped our pax off we taxied to our mx hangar. Jimmy Franklin taxied behind us on his way to the runway. As I was doing my postflight Franklin was flying his routine with Younkin. I just happened to look up and see Franklin hit the ground. He hit hard enough to bend his gear all the way back and killed the prop. He climbed back up to about 30 feet or so then settled back onto the grass. He was ok, but the plane was a wreck.

Latest resources

Back