Lear 23 aerobatic routine

TurboS7

Total Time
At Sun-and-Fun this year there will be a Lear 23 aerobatic routine. For all of us that have flown the Lear 23 it is a great machine and it should be great. See you all there.

Birddog

On a mission...
Total Time
I recently read an article about this somewhere. Do you happen to know how the pilot is going to pull of some of the logistics of this? As far as I know, the lear 23 is a two pilot airplane, so will there have to be an FO in there (talk about an interesting time building job), or is there some sort of waiver? Given that the lear was not certified in the aerobatic catagory, do you know what sorts of maneuvers will be performed. Also, are there any provisions being put in for the use of a parachute? I have always thought that it is hard to be a Lear for sex appeal, so I hope the routine is a success.

flydog

Total Time
2500+
You can e-mail Bobby directly at younkinair@aol.com and ask him.

There is no requirement that and aircraft be certified in the aerobatic category or certified period to perform in airshows. My guess is this airplane has been converted to an Experimental Exhibition certificate for the purpose of operating single pilot and exceeding the flight manual limitations under which it was certified.

SeaBass

Total Time
Birddog, did you mean that it is hard to beat a lear for sex appeal? I totally agree..*rowll* THe aiplane is actually tail number N49CK...serial numba 9. I'm sure some people on this board have some time in that airplane too! ;)

aggiepilot87

Total Time
-
have to give the EAA SNF folks credit for getting some interesting acts in their airshow (not just the usual flip-flop acro routines). Last year they had the jet engine powered Waco biplane. It was strange, but really entertaining to watch.

aero99

just a member, not senior
Total Time
10PM
That jet WACO is incredible. I saw it at Alliance last summer. What's really neat is it still has a prop, and uses the jet for that extra "little" ummph.

I had never heard of such a beast until I saw it. You can imagine how long my mouth hung open watching a Bi-plane do loops while sounding like a jet with jet speeds. It could take off in like 7 feet. No Sh*t!

If you haven't seen it in action, find an airshow that has it, worth the time.

Birddog

On a mission...
Total Time
SeaBass....

Yes, I did mean "...it is hard to beat a lear..." Lets hope I fly better than I tipe :)

Huck

Total Time
The Lear guy is Bobby Younkin? He was the guy that flew the jet Waco, wasn't he?

DC9stick

Total Time
Bobby Younkin flew the Twin Beech, it was crashed during a ferry flight, He also flys "Sampson" a radial engine biplane designed by Curtis Pitts. The Waco is flown by Jim Franklin, He's been flying and modifing the Waco for 20+ years.

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Total Time
Anyone know if he's gonna go to Oshkosh?

Huck

Total Time
I stand corrected. I met Younkin once - he was a great guy. Seems like he had a cargo -18 he ran on a 135 certificate, in addition to his show plane. I'll be on the front row!

bobbysamd

Total Time
Bob Hoover

Didn't Bob Hoover have a Lear acro routine? I know he did with a twin Commander. I saw it one time and it was absolutely astounding. What made it all the more astounding is I read once that during the entire routine he loads the airframe to +1G max.

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
Total Time
-5Z
Well I just found out recently that someone around has the Part 135 and IFR certified Waco. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this guy?

Huck

Total Time
Hoover did a routine in a Sabre 40....

aggiepilot87

Total Time
-
While working for Rockwell... makes sense - Shrike Commander and Sabreliner.

Hoover is number 1 in my book. First time I saw him was in Dallas in '75 in his P-51. Last time was in his Shrike at Reno in 1999. He always put on a good show. Not to mention his military background... I didn't realize until recently that while a WWII combat pilot, he was shot down, POW, then escaped in a stolen FW-190! What a guy!

Freight Jock

Total Time
3,000+
Lear 23 airshow routine?

Does anyone have a link to Bobby's airshow routine in the Lear 23?

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
He was killed last year in Sampson.

RIP

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Total Time
31Raps
LR25 said:
He was killed last year in Sampson.

RIP
Along with Jimmy Franklin (who used to fly the jet powered Waco someone mentioned earlier in this post). :(

Snakum

How's your marmott?
Total Time
Little
I saw a video of the Franklin crash ... very sad.