• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those that went from mil leave to personal leave: is there a difference between the two as far as your status or travel benefits? I know you can do the mil leave for 6 years, and a personal leave is for a set time,... but I'm talking about nuances that separate the two.

Latest on UAL furloughees

United has increased the class sizes of the 22 January and 5 February 2007 recall classes from 20 active pilots to 30 active pilots. In order to fill the additional 20 positions created by the increased class sizes 106 more initial recall offerings were made, plus an additional 5 pilots coming off of recall bypass. Recall has been offered down to seniority number 8622 (DOH 4 June 2001). With the increase in size of these two recall classes and a second recall class planned (but not yet announced) for later in February 2007, we now believe that all of United's furloughees will have received an initial recall offer by the end of 2006 with an offered return date by the end of February 2007. The next class offering will also most likely include the first pilots to be recalled without "Recall Bypass" rights.

The following are the recall statistics as of 15 December 2006:

As of the 4 December 2006 recall class:

Recalled - Active Status 606 Total in 2006 462

Recalled - LOA 376

Bypassed 838

Resigned 25

Retired (over age 60) 2

Deceased 2

Total Pilots remaining on Furlough/Furlough Bypass 1161

Including the 8 January, 22 January and 5 February 2007 recall classes:

Total Offered Recall 2139

Total Furlough Status 33 (have not been offered recall)

Total Responses to date 2109

Recalled - Active or Accepted 691 32.8%

Recalled - LOA or LOA upon return 542 25.7%

Bypassed or Verbal Bypass 851 40.3%

Resigned 25 1.2%

We have reached another milestone in the recall process. With the latest recall offers being made we have less then 100 pilots on furlough who have not yet been offered recall to United. Therefore, as per LOA 04-07 "Furlough Recall Bypass" the company has mailed notification of impending expiration of bypass rights. The "Recall Bypass Expiration" letter was sent to all furloughees who have previously bypassed and to the remaining furloughees who have not yet received recall notice this past Friday, 15 December 2006. This letter was sent via FedEx "signature required", unless the furloughee's address on file with the company is either a P.O. Box or an APO address in which case it was sent via certified mail return receipt. All future recall notices will also be sent in this manner.

As a reminder, it is your responsibility to update the company with any change in your address or contact information, as is stated in Section 7-C and reiterated in LOA 04-07. For your protection and to comply with the contract all address updates need to be mailed via certified mail return receipt or via FedEx "signature required"

You may want to track down Roger Veseley and ask him. He was in charge of hiring when the music stopped. I don't have his number, but I spoke to him on another issue ~ a year ago. Great guy. He's in Denver somewhere still working for United.

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I will try and get ahold of Roger. Does anyone have a number to the TK. I will try the number listed on my congrats welcome to UAL letter. If anyone finds an answer please post it.

Terry,

Try the flight training center DENTK at (303) 780-3600 or the receptionist at (303) 780-5543 and see if someone can transfer you or get the number for Roger from them.

Last edited:
Anyone know how you're notified if a LOA has been approved? The first time I put in for it was when I returned the recall package. It was a short leave request and they asked for which dates, which for me was only a few months.

From what I've heard, you'll need to call your chief pilot and ping him about it. I think he's the one that approves or disapproves it for short term ones. Longer ones have to go to WHQ.

Anyone know how you're notified if a LOA has been approved? The first time I put in for it was when I returned the recall package. It was a short leave request and they asked for which dates, which for me was only a few months.

Call your old domicile. You have probably been approved - they just won't bother to call you to tell you so.

I sent a quick email to Bob Neil and he told me I got it. (90 days, takes care of 1st year pay for me) Waiting for my crack at Tilton.....

Take care.

What happens then? Are you automatically assigned the following class after your 90 days (or whatever leave you got) are up? Thanks for the answers, guys.

Latest resources

Back