• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jobs Ideas While On Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not on furlough but am part of the ACA Swim Team. I am 42 years old and drawing a "pension" from my 24 years serving the country in the USAF. Nope..didn't fly (ran out of birthdays before I became an officer) but managed to get an ATP, CFIIMEI and all that and was recently hired into the pool at ACA.

To keep from growing fat eating cookies all day I took a job at the FBO I was instructing at. They want out of the instruction/rental business but let me stay on to do "lineboy" work. I am the only guy on the airport with any college (I have a Master of Arts Degree in Management) and I'm driving a freakin' fuel truck...and I love it!

Point here is to take what you can...the lineboy job keeps me at the airport where I've picked up some instrument refresher work, basic instruction and a brunette. What a country!

From the "older" guys I've talked to who have been furloughed in the past, they recommended that I did something away from the airlines. They said that of the guys who flew and the guys who got business or non-aviation jobs while on furlough, that the guys who didn't fly were much better off now. Reason being was that many of them learned new skills, started their own business, or were able to continue working in that field part time when they went back to the airlines and now have MUCH more to show for it.

When asked if those guys who didn't fly were too "rusty" to return, he said no. The airlines just gave them some extra training and they got thru just fine.

So don't worry about not getting a flying job out there. No need to go backwards in life to a 20K/year commuter. Get a good 9-5 job with bennies and enjoy the nights and weekends with the family!

Remember, most of the best off (financially) pilots you have flown with in the past got that way while on furlough with an airline.

MM

Hi,
I was furloughed in March from AA and I did not think for one second about trying to get on with a commuter airline and having to commute for a lousy $15 to $20 per flight hour. I put up with that several years ago in order to gain experience and flight time in order to move on to a major airline. I now have a seniority number with AA (not that it will mean much for the next 5-7 years) so there is really no incentive to work for a regional airline again.
I am now an Accountant enjoying a reasonable schedule and making much more money than I could have made as an FO at any regional airline. I am also looking forward to spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with the family for the first time in seven years. I am not saying I don't miss flying, but I really think some time away from the industry will do me some good. It is a personal decision for each and every furloughed pilot, but for me, I am looking to take advantage of my time while furloughed to spend time with the family and do something other than fly until I get recalled (if I get recalled). Best of luck to all of us that are furloughed

Last edited:
If I were furloughed, I'd have absolutely no problem hunting down Part 135 freight jobs flying anything single engine or twin. I'm in the pool at my #1 career choice airline, so naturally I worry about getting furloughed. However, if furloughed, I'd have absolutely no problems going back a few steps and flying Part 135 cargo again. Sure, the hours may be lousy, the pay may be crappy, but I'd still have a flying job. I'd have every bank holiday off which is just about any holiday you can think of, and yep, I'd still be flying.

Some people get into aviation for the money at the end of the road. Some people just simply love flying too much to let a furlough stop them. I'm one of the latter. Lance, Seneca, C-210, Chieftain, C-402, if I'm furloughed, bring them on and watch me have the biggest sh*t-eating grin on my face when I crank one of those babies!!

To borrow NBA's slogan: I LOVE THIS GAME!

Freight Dog wrote:
Some people get into aviation for the money at the end of the road. Some people just simply love flying too much to let a furlough stop them.

And some people have a family to support and can't bear to make their kids suffer yet another move coupled with poverty wages just so Daddy or Mommy can do what they love.

Being single, or married to a fabulously wealthy spouse, definitely has its merits in aviation. But I'd value a wife and kids who love me over a flying job anyday.

Well Charley, I'll tell you this much. If you are a furloughee from regionals, then you'll definitely be able to live on a crappy Part 135 outfit's pay if one is geographically convenient. You've done it before, right? Besides, most Part 135 outfits pay roughly the same if not more than a 1st year regional FO pay. My old 135 job did.

If you are a major airline furloughee, I'm sure you could find a job flying checks at night and still make a decent wage. Or you could find a Caravan job and those pay roughly what you were making as a 1st year FO at a major. Same thing with Air Ambulance outfits. I know several of them who are still hiring and they pay around 40k to start flying C-421's and C-414's. So on and so forth...

Bottom line... where there's a will there's a way. If you want a flying job that can support you and the family while you are furloughed, you'll find it if you want it bad enough, family or no family.

Last edited:
Jobs

While Im not furloughed, I have decided to enter the military to fly. I learned this evening that I got in. I was flying 135 and instructing before I quit. I was sick of the low pay and long hours, I hated it although I loved the flying. Im so pumped about flying for the military I cant even explain it, the military has the real aviators who carry out a real world missions. I CFIed and made less than 20K a year working a min of 50 hours per week.

In the mil I will make no less than $37,890.73 my 1st year. Beat that in the Civy world.

Last edited:
Re: Jobs

B-J-J Fighter said:
the military has the real aviators who carry out a real world missions.

In the mil I will make no less than $37,890.73 my 1st year. Beat that in the Civy world.

Well, I guess the rest of us "non-real aviators" will keep on flying our "un-real world missions" anyway. Otherwise the traveling public would be up the proverbial sh!t creek.

And my company, as well as many others, has first year pay in excess of $37,830.73.

Nonetheless, congratulations on becoming a real aviator.

Hey thanks Bobby, I know you paid your dues many years ago and built lots of dual given. I will be paying my dues while Im in. Im pumped. Of course I like working out kicking a$$ and staying in shape so the military should be good for me.

Thanks Trainerjet, I will enjoy being a real aviator Have fun drivimg around a bus in the sky full of people, I saw after flying part 135 that wasnt my cup of tea. Anyways enjoy the money while I serve our country.

Latest resources

Back