Jobs Ideas While On Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Furlough Boy

I have been on furlough for over a year now and just can not get a stable, full time job.

I have a degree in Business but companies keep rejecting me because they feel that I will leave them as soon as I get a chance to fly again. I have done some substitute teaching, but it is unstable and without benefits.

I am pretty desperate for ideas. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Answer

You could start shooting people then demand the government pay you $10 million.

NO....I guess that doesn't work.

Interview tips

I'm a terrible liar so I struggled with this last year when I was just furloughed and looking for jobs. I was finally hired (non-airline), and here's how I avoided the subject.

When asked if I would return to the airlines my answer would contain some of the following points. Some may be applicable to you, some may not.

1- This is the second time I've been furloughed (true) ... I need something more stable.

2- I have a wife and kids ... I have missed Birthdays, Anniversaries, Thanksgiving, and Christmas for the last 4 years (true) I'm looking forward to being home for the Holidays this year.

3- I'm gone half the month or more ... I'm tired of spending that much time away from friends and family. A 9-5 job would be a welcome change.

4- Even if airlines start hiring again, I will be the junior FO, commuting to reserve ... poor schedule, low pay yadda yadda yadda

5- I think a career at (interviewers company) would be a great thing for me and my family: stable, more time at home, opportunity for advancement etc.

6- The airline industry is in the tank, and will be for the next several years. It's not fair to myself or my family to wait around for it to get better. I need something now! I can always buy my own plane or rent one to satisfy my flying desires.

Did I answer the question ... not exactly. But I painted a picture that I'm tired of the airline industry, ready for change, willing to try something new.

What's my real answer ... I can't wait to go back!!! I look everyday to see what's new in the industry to see if there's something right for me. But they don't have to know that. They are looking for the "perfect employee" in the interview ... you have to be that for your 30 minute interview. I know the guy I interviewed with acted all concerned about my commitment to their company during the interview, but since then I've found out that he checks Monster.com everyday looking for something better.

Lastly, Network ... Network ... Network!!! All my most successful interviews came through networking through friends and family.

:eek:

Yeah I agree, the ONLY way to get a flying job of any kind probably is through proper networking ans schmoozing. I work part time for a 121 airline in operations, and I come across the usual jump seat wanna be every night. After I find out who they work for I start getting to know them and find out more about their company. It's a win win, I have been on two interviews because of that.

I also work part time for a 135 and keep current flying 414's, but that job I got through good ole flightinfo.com

So bottom line, try to network anyway you can, and keep reading this board, it's invaluable, I'm on it twice a day.

Good luck!

And by the way, A REAL JOB sucks! ya gotta fly!

Av8ter

Adult movie star! Its a lot of fun and a good way to meet women, or dudes (which ever floats your boat).

Ok, seriously though. I thought about checking around at small (or any sized) aviation universities to see if they needed someone to teach ground schools, classes, or anything related to aviation. Most people can't run from flying, so why bother. What kind of Business Degree to do you have? Any specialized training?

I would find a company that has room for advancement, but also has entry-level positions. You are gonna have to take the entry-level position in order to get your foot in the door, and prove yourself. If you are educated, responsible and dependable, you will stand head and shoulders above the usual candidates. Once inside, work harder than everyone else, and network, network, network. Opportunities will avail themselves.

I took an entry-level job (which, you will probably find, is more lucrative than any first-year regional pay) and within six months was promoted and making more than I was as a Captain at a regional. Of course, being the knuckle-head that I am, I'm bailing this job and going back to flying for less. Sometimes, I think we pilots are addicts, plain and simple.

Good luck!

Alternative employment

Paralegal school. No kidding. I, too, have a business degree, and the combination of the two worked for me. I make decent money. I work regular (but long) hours without worry of sitting reserve or being junior-manned. I use my skills. I make a contribution and help people. I appreciate Captain X's comment, above. Just the same, I'd rather being flying or be involved in aviation in some capacity.

Having said these things, with your background and quals you should be desirable in many companies in many businesses. Not that many companies are aviation-savvy and realize that you could go back any time. Moreover, "any time" is a way off.

You could try to find work teaching ground school or sim at a local college that has a flight program. You have the quals with your CFI and your B.S.B.A. You might need to obtain a state vocational teaching credential. Check with your state Department of Education. I got mine in Colorado eight years ago on the basis of my education, CFI, and instrucitng experience.

Good luck with your efforts.

Latest resources

Back