• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jobs Ideas While On Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ClownPilot, Im joining the Army, it gave me the best chance of selection and I need to get in to start earning a paycheck to supoort my wife and our new baby. I really havent worked in 6 months and neither has my wife. It still might be 4 or 5 months from now until I get my 1st paycheck. I might get a part time job to help bring in a little money. Maybe I could go be a stunt pilot with Avbug in the movies.

Last edited:
Helicopters

You'll be flying rotor intially? A little different than fixed-wing. You'll have a great time, and can always try for the C-12s later.

I agree with the above post's!

Try something new, ie. away from flying for a while. You may find that you enjoy something else almost as much.

Different schedule, better pay, more home time etc., and possibly a better lifestyle.

I was furloughed twice in the past year and a half, for me, however I used to be a chef at a really great restaurant in town, so the first time I was furloughed I went back to that.

The second time, I worked with my wifes step father spreading organic pesticides and fertilizers on lawns. I was also flying a turbo mallard part-time.

The nice thing was that I was making close to $65,000, while on furlough as opposed to $19,000.

The way things have been going in this industry, I had to think twice about accepting my recall, I was very comfortable doing the lawn thing ( I got into great shape too) and flying part time ( 4 hrs/week), and I was paying off alot of bills.

My point is, try and make as much money as you can right now even if you are working two jobs, or one job that you really like.
Hey try Real Estate, you can look online for courses in your area, the class takes about a week for the initial license.

Good Luck to you, keep us posted on what you find!

Ah, the joys of employment.

Almost did the same thing myself when I was 20.

High School to flight school they used to call it.

But, they gave me a class date so far down the road that in the meantime the Navy came along. I do remember that you go to basic then WOFT training in Fort Rucker AL. If I remember correctly you could get a commission if you had a degree then flight school or become a Warrant Officer. Is that still the deal? Anyhow, nice to see someone getting employed instead of layed off.

B-J-J Fighter said:
ClownPilot, Im joining the Army, it gave me the best chance of selection and I need to get in to start earning a paycheck to supoort my wife and our new baby. I really havent worked in 6 months and neither has my wife. It still might be 4 or 5 months from now until I get my 1st paycheck. I might get a part time job to help bring in a little money. Maybe I could go be a stunt pilot with Avbug in the movies.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread. I have been very encouraged by hearing from everyone that has spent time on furlough.

Right now, I am applying to the USAF. I would have to be a Navigator because of my eyesight but at least I would be in the air with some stability and a paycheck.

Please keep the options coming. There are no guarantees when it comes to flying.

Now that is degrading. A navigator? Granted, I know nothing abut AF navigators but, you hold some very valuable instructor ratings. Although that sounds like something the government would do, take someone with the ratings and make no use of them. Just out of curiosity, how long of a commitment do you have to make to the USAF? Does any one know anything about flying in the Coast Guard or Air National Guard?

Latest resources

Back