• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JO Decides Code-Shares Are Better Than Flying Empty in HI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whistling in the dark, whistling in the dark . . (they might be giants . . )

I'm open to suggestions. Our union will negotiate for payrates to the best of its (and with ALPA's crack/"on-crack" advice), but let's face it, the company makes fleet-type decisions, not the pilot union. Right now, "industry average" for the E190 at JB and CHQ aren't exactly high though . . . .

Short of asking every pilot tasked to flying larger aircraft to intentionally fail checkrides (which can lead to termination, and hinder future employment options elsewhere), I'm not really sure what lever the union has beyond those already stated.

mdanno808 said:

Man, JO has you guys right where he wants you. I guess negotiations and unions are wortheless. Bring on the big jets JO, cause we realize that we will end up flying them one way or another. ALPA should print up some of those stickers for the road shows.

mdanno808 said:

Man, JO has you guys right where he wants you. I guess negotiations and unions are wortheless. Bring on the big jets JO, cause we realize that we will end up flying them one way or another. ALPA should print up some of those stickers for the road shows.

As usual some more homework needs to be done. If this were the case there would already be 737s on property.....

CFIse said:
One word - E195s.

Just as nice inside as a 737, almost the same load, cheaper seat mile cost. That's the big picture - why the opening salvo with the CRJs I have no idea - but that's the big picture - compete with the E195s and THAT may be some tough competition.

Me thinks the CRJs are just there to put one of the big boys out of business so J.O. can crack the other at the knees in another "merger." How long will it take to do that? Probably not that long at all -- no way both airlines will make it against $39 fares, which with Mesa can break even.

This is how he will get the larger fleet types -- not through negotiation but rather through acquisition.

M erge

E every

S mall

A irline

get a life mdanno808!

mdanno808 said:
Man, JO has you guys right where he wants you. I guess negotiations and unions are wortheless. Bring on the big jets JO, cause we realize that we will end up flying them one way or another.

So, do you have any control over what aircraft your airline operates? I doubt that you do, and neither do we.

Mesa ALPA was already made an offer a year or so ago by JO to fly 737's for the 900 rate + 15% (I think that is right, correct me if I am wrong please). We said NO WAY JOse! You don't see any 737s on the property do you?

If you want to make this about your pilot group vs. Mesa's pilot group then that is your problem. We are just trying to do our jobs and live our lives. We know better than anyone out there that our contract needs alot of improvement in almost every way. Thanks for your concern, though!:rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3820751.html April 26, 2006, 7:23AM
Mesa Air 2Q Profit Declines

© 2006 The Associated Press
PHOENIX — Mesa Air Group Inc., operator of regional airlines Mesa Airlines, Air Midwest and Freedom Airlines, on Wednesday said fiscal second-quarter profit dropped 51 percent, hurt by a debt-equity charge and expenses related to a startup.
Net income fell to $5.3 million, or 14 cents per share, from $10.8 million, or 26 cents per share a year ago. Results include a $7.5 million charge associated with converting debt to equity. The company had a $3.6 million expense in the quarter relating to starting up a Hawaiian operation.

Revenue grew 18 percent to $312.1 million from $263.8 million, reflecting improved traffic. Like other airlines, Mesa had to deal with higher fuel costs during the quarter. Such costs rose to $103.2 million from $65.2 million a year ago.
Analysts, on average, predicted a profit of 30 cents on revenue of $295.5 million, according to a Thomson Financial poll.
Revenue passenger miles increased 15 percent to 1.6 billion, compared to the same period last year. A revenue passenger mile is equal to one paying passenger flown one mile.
Capacity increased 8 percent to 2.19 billion available seat miles. Occupancy, or the number of seats filled, increased to 73.2 percent, compared with 68.9 percent during the same period last year.

SpacemanSpiff said:
So, do you have any control over what aircraft your airline operates? I doubt that you do, and neither do we.

Mesa ALPA was already made an offer a year or so ago by JO to fly 737's for the 900 rate + 15% (I think that is right, correct me if I am wrong please). We said NO WAY JOse! You don't see any 737s on the property do you?

If you want to make this about your pilot group vs. Mesa's pilot group then that is your problem. We are just trying to do our jobs and live our lives. We know better than anyone out there that our contract needs alot of improvement in almost every way. Thanks for your concern, though!:rolleyes:

That is exactly my point. You guys said go to hell, and he did. Pilot groups do have a say in what equiptment is flown through the negotiation process, as your union did with the 737 rates. I don't even fly for Hawaiian or Aloha, and I jumpseat on Mesa a lot. I misspoke, and I don't think you guys understood the meaning of my post. I don't have anything against the guys operating the plane. I just hope that you guys get some good payrates to fly the E195's, as well as some pay raises for your current planes.

And now, for the rest of the story . . .

mdanno808 said:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3820751.html April 26, 2006, 7:23AM
Mesa Air 2Q Profit Declines

Yup. Mesa's profits went down. However, if you remove one-time charges for new business with legacy carriers, deb-conversion, and the go! start up, Mesa's EPS is more like 30 cents, as opposed to the reported 14 cents per/share. Nice article summarizing it here:

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/transportation/10281898.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The more interesting discussion during the web-casted earnings call was during the Q&A. When asked why Mesa didn't get the COEX business, and Republic did, I thought the answer was kinda wishy-washy. "Win some, lose some?" "Republic's turn to win?" Kinda reminds me of S.Connery in "The Rock": http://161.58.5.90/rock/losers.wav

Weakest sidestep: When asked if Mesa didn't get the new business because of cost, or becase of "service issues." Uh, methinks Mesa might be getting a reputation?

Soverytired said:
Yup. Mesa's profits went down. However, if you remove one-time charges for new business with legacy carriers, deb-conversion, and the go! start up, Mesa's EPS is more like 30 cents, as opposed to the reported 14 cents per/share. Nice article summarizing it here:

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/transportation/10281898.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The more interesting discussion during the web-casted earnings call was during the Q&A. When asked why Mesa didn't get the COEX business, and Republic did, I thought the answer was kinda wishy-washy. "Win some, lose some?" "Republic's turn to win?" Kinda reminds me of S.Connery in "The Rock": http://161.58.5.90/rock/losers.wav

Weakest sidestep: When asked if Mesa didn't get the new business because of cost, or becase of "service issues." Uh, methinks Mesa might be getting a reputation?

Does Mesa have a spokesman? Someone brought this up earlier, and I can't remember the answer. Seems like JO spends an awful lot of time doing interviews, answering questions, etc. Seems like something he'd have a spokesman type do for him.
[/INDENT]

mdanno808 said:

Does Mesa have a spokesman? Someone brought this up earlier, and I can't remember the answer. Seems like JO spends an awful lot of time doing interviews, answering questions, etc. Seems like something he'd have a spokesman type do for him.
I mentioned that I thought it was odd that JO was the only one that ever speaks to the media. Just like our buddy GK. "The CEO of PW/GO says.....". He must spend a hell of a lot of time just figuring out what to say to the media. Sad, really.

Latest resources

Back