• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Time for a Minimum Wage for Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last week, I had an FO tell me he was moving on to something else because he was "done with aviation"

25 years old, $100,000 in student loans, hired with 300 hours, sat in the right seat for 2 WHOLE YEARS before throwing in the towel! Now he wants to be a nurse....$80,000 more in debt!! Riddle told him he would be a 777 capt by now and it hasn't happened yet so he's outta here.

Ran into another with a wife and 2 kids. After 2 years wants to give up and go back to school. Time to man up and support your family not chase another dream.

Do these people even do any research before entering into this profession? Ask the 10 year Eagle FO's if it has been a long road.

Get the ******************** out and good riddance I say!!

Last week, I had an FO tell me he was moving on to something else because he was "done with aviation"

25 years old, $100,000 in student loans, hired with 300 hours, sat in the right seat for 2 WHOLE YEARS before throwing in the towel! Now he wants to be a nurse....$80,000 more in debt!! Riddle told him he would be a 777 capt by now and it hasn't happened yet so he's outta here.

Ran into another with a wife and 2 kids. After 2 years wants to give up and go back to school. Time to man up and support your family not chase another dream.

Do these people even do any research before entering into this profession? Ask the 10 year Eagle FO's if it has been a long road.

Seriously. These are the same ones that complain about being away from home and staying in hotels.

What? Airline pilots travel?? Really? I'm going to be away from home and have to stay in hotels?? Wow, that never occured to me. :rolleyes:

THIS is the entire problem..... these boys get a job and think they should be Captains 6 months out of training. ......they don't get it. Cry babies.... you can hear them on the radio.... they sound grouchy/sad/demoralized...... so funny to hear them! Like you said....see ya!!! don't let the door hit you on the way out "brahs!"

$50,000 a year for FOs minimum? Well, that would work to get more people interested in the industry. Of course, it would put many regionals out of business as well, or it would result in captain pay being MUCH less.

Choose your poison. :)
WRONG!

The only thing corporations do is what is best for the bottom line or what they are mandated to do by law.

Federal legisation mandating reasonable and fair wages for pilots will simply get it done. Management will actually have to do thier jobs and run the airline instead of looking for wage subsidies from labor.

Of course corp subsidies from the govt (Wall St.) are just good ol American Capitalism.....

Where the hell is John Galt?

Minimum Wage

THERE IS A REGULATORY MINIMUM HOURLY WAGE FOR EACH HOUR WORKED. THERE IS A FEDERAL MINIMUM AND EACH STATE HAS IT'S MINIMUM, OFTEN MORE THAN THE FEDERAL. Pilots do not qualify in any state to be an exempt employee, that is exempt from state wage and hours rules. In California you MUST be paid for each hour you work, and overtime (read time and a half) for each hour over 8 per day or 40 per week.

This is the primary reason airlines usher in a union to represent the pilot group. Once the collective barganing unit (read pilot group) and the employer establish a contract, it supersceeds the state and federal minimum wage rules.

We, as pilots, screw ourselves silly.

TransMach

THERE IS A REGULATORY MINIMUM HOURLY WAGE FOR EACH HOUR WORKED. THERE IS A FEDERAL MINIMUM AND EACH STATE HAS IT'S MINIMUM, OFTEN MORE THAN THE FEDERAL. Pilots do not qualify in any state to be an exempt employee, that is exempt from state wage and hours rules. In California you MUST be paid for each hour you work, and overtime (read time and a half) for each hour over 8 per day or 40 per week.

This is the primary reason airlines usher in a union to represent the pilot group. Once the collective barganing unit (read pilot group) and the employer establish a contract, it supersceeds the state and federal minimum wage rules.

We, as pilots, screw ourselves silly.

TransMach
oh boy....

it is called, quit accepting jobs at a company just to be called and airline pilot and then bitch about the wages after ...now being called an airline pilot which you barely are becuase you are really a contract pilot since your whole company revolves around their contracts...the real airline is the one who you probably claim to work for to strangers at a bar.....I work for Delta....exactly.. "work for Delta" not "at Delta"....I actually caught a guy in that little fib once a few years back, as I am sure most pilots have caught someone at one point or another...kind of funny...and I did not bother to call him out since I was embarassed for him after that statement to begin with.....no need to rub salt in his ego

Last edited:
it is called, quit accepting jobs at a company just to be called and airline pilot and then bitch about the wages after ...now being called an airline pilot which you barely are becuase you are really a contract pilot since your whole company revolves around their contracts...the real airline is the one who you probably claim to work for to strangers at a bar.....I work for Delta....exactly.. "work for Delta" not "at Delta"....I actually caught a guy in that little fib once a few years back, as I am sure most pilots have caught someone at one point or another...kind of funny...and I did not bother to call him out since I was embarassed for him after that statement to begin with.....no need to rub salt in his ego

Negative.

You and many others of the 20th Century had the ability to by pass the regionals and make it to a major.

The future of the air line pilot profession will be shouldered by the regionals. Your FOs at SWA will be regional pilots.... most likely RJ Captains who know their stuff......

Most people who don't know who ASA, MESA or who SkyWest is... it is eaiser to say Delta or Delta Connection.....

If pilots want to go to SWA or DAL they are going to have to go to the regionals... it is really the only game in town.....

Latest resources

Back