Info for NJI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pervis

Hey folks, just got some info from the NJA Negotiating Committee Chairman that NJI folks should know about. How you interpret this is your concern. I would, however, consider this factual. This is informational only, so don't shoot the messenger.

During the recently concluded negotiations, specifically during the NJA/NJI discussions, Local 1108 offered seniority integration for the two groups strictly by date of hire-across the board. The company refused this offer outright.

The future is clear-there will be integration. Although many have voiced opinions regarding union membership in a negative way, at least on this board, the choice is yours. For all of our sake, joining the frey before the three year waiting period is over would be to everyone's advantage, especially NJI pilots.

A few more observations, IMHO. Company will wait till there is no choice, and tell NJI folks that it was the big bad union's fault if seniority integration is lopsided. Typical disinformation. While some are truely against unionizing, others are reluctant to be heard in favor of due to possible management retribution. For those pilots, keep in mind the union has been very successful in gaining the positions back for those wrongfully terminated. Although there are no guarantees, life's a gamble in all aspects. One thing is certain. Joining the group before a forced integration is far more desirable for those being integrated. No threat intended here, just a fact of life. Personally, I hope for an equitable merge for all concerned.

Just an "Old Farts" 2 cents

Pervis said:
During the recently concluded negotiations, specifically during the NJA/NJI discussions, Local 1108 offered seniority integration for the two groups strictly by date of hire-across the board. The company refused this offer outright.

For all of our sake, joining the frey before the three year waiting period is over would be to everyone's advantage, especially NJI pilots.

• Why are your negotiators talking to the company? Shouldn’t they be talking to the NJI pilots?
  • I for one could care less, I’m on the down hill slide and no matter what happens it wont affect my bottom line. However I would never vote for anything that would displace the newest new hire from NJI from upgrading in the Gulfstreams. That was his “career expectation” when he was hired, it’s what he was hired for, and it is what his experience demanded when he was hired. When the last guy hired prior to your contract goes to the left seat, do what you want. But placing him behind some 25 year old ultra driver who couldn’t find 30W on a map just because he is on a teamster seniority list is wrong and wont happen. What about the 25-30% of our group who came from NJA in the 1st place? Do they get their “old” seniority number back?
  • Many of the NJA pilots who spout off all the time about how easy International Flying is are obviously the ones who have never done it. No, you don’t have to be an astronaut to get there, but it takes experience, and that’s why NJI has always hired a proper ratio of pilots. For everyone 1 guy that came in with little to no international experience, and no G-time; they hired 3 or 4 that did. Experience requirements in the cockpit will never change, regardless of what any union says or threatens. The owners won’t accept it, the industry won’t accept it.

arrrgh i hate it when i have to retype posts.

International flying isn't hard. Make sure you've done you're homework, be prepared and be ready for language barriers which can be eased by learning a few words.

30W is a joke. Trying to make 50W at cruise is the tough part departing out of CYQX. Of course i do enjoy the free icecream at 3am there though.

By the way isn't MGD the champagne of beers? Ricky Craven is a true competetor until he hit the wall.

Rusty,
You hit the nail on the head HARD, I am still an FO here and I came here to fly the Gulfstreams, and to upgrade here on the Gulfstreams, not get Date of Hire, which sounds nice, but that would give me/us nothing, if you want to give date of hire and protection on the Gulfstreams for current NJI pilots here before signing then ok, but to be thrown out of the Gulfstream is wrong, like Rusty said, my expectation was to upgrade in the Gulfstream, maybe you could build a clause that if I bid out of the Gulfstream then I go to where I would be on a combined list, but if I elect to stay in the Gulfstream, then I upgrade as if we were a seperate company

That sounds fair

Rusty Fan......who said you have a VOTE in the matter?

You will do as told by your Boss.....look at all the input you guys had in the cross over agreement.

Please don't try and make what you do as some great mystery. Its not!!!!
Who knows...you may even learn something from some of our X and Falcon guys.

Batsky....who said anything about getting thrown out? That would never happen. It wouldn't financially feasible for the Company to do that. Seniority would dictate upgrades.....plain and simple. Years ago the Boss man said the two companies would merge......Now he's being froced to honor his word. Your beef should be with him.

Last edited:
and yes before you reply they let us cruise by 50W instead of KOBEV or DENDU because they know it's a short climb.

I believe this is fair i don't know if you agree.

If you're an FO in a gulfstream then everyone who is an FO get's to upgrade IN a gulfstream. You're right they are hired there.

The company did agree to the 1/3 pilot merge though but i do believe the FO's in the plane should get the chance to upgrade. It would ease the bad blood that would last for years.

Problem is who is talking for the NJI pilots? The company who is looking out for their own best interests. (this is not ment to be a union vs non union argument) just pointing out where is the "voice" of NJI coming from so that the company understands what they want.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Last edited:
RustyFan said:
  • Why are your negotiators talking to the company? Shouldn’t they be talking to the NJI pilots?
Uh, no. They don't represent NJI. They represent NJA. You want them to talk to you, then send in your union cards. Right now, without union representation, the NJI pilots can do nothing but sit back and watch their futures be decided by others.

Last edited:
As proven by the last days of negotiations prior to the T/A coming out.

I'd be curioous what RTS told you guys at that luncheon in SAV.

Latest resources

Back