Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't move your legs...

labbats said:
I like the fold down pedals. I also enjoy moving my feet from them every 10 minutes when the captain needs to talk or throw away something.

DC9/MD80 pilots are used to working around people in the JS. It is easier, in my opinion, if the jumpseater not move his/her legs and let the pilots work around them.

I don't like it when a jumpseater puts his elbow on the back of my seat cushion or arm rest. I offer a free ride and get an elbow in my right shoulder blade. Thanks a lot!

dojetdriver said:
For that matter, 75 sucks when the CA moves his seat back and your legs are dangling off the side and fall asleep. 73 blows as well, 2nd seat on the airbus, second seat on the 777 bad bad bad.

Reminds me of riding on the second jumpseat of a SWA 737 (behind the Captain) a few years back. I don't know if it can really be called a "seat" though. More like a shelf you could theoretically sit on. No footrest and about 5 inches of space behind the Captain's seat, good for about 5 minutes of useful motion before paralysis sets in. Thank God I was only riding from MCO to FLL. Any longer and I would've needed help getting off the airplane.

On the plus side, the SWA gate agent and Crew were unbelievably helpful getting me on the flight, considering I got to the gate 5 minutes before pushback.:D

And for the record, no matter how much I may complain, I'm very happy I have access to the jumpseat. Saved my bacon many times.

Last edited:
How about the Saab 340?

Two pieces of plywood with 1" of padding. The seat folds to form a perfect 90 degree angle between the seat and back. Now that is what I call comfort!

The mainline guys didn't complain much though since we were their ride home. They were just glad we were going their way. I did feel bad for them though.

EagleRJ said:
After years of field research, I have determined that I hate the MD-80 jumpseat.

I just thought I would share that with all of you!

Its not called the "Mad Dog" for nothing. and the ERJ jumpseat sucks if you are over 4' tall, especially on the single FMS aircraft when the pilots have to reach betwen your legs to reach it. not fun

EagleRJ said:
After years of field research, I have determined that I hate the MD-80 jumpseat.

I just thought I would share that with all of you!

Quit Ur bitchn'!

At least YOU have the privilege to jump seat in the cockpit.

135 Freight dog

Wankel7

Any seat that gets you where you need to be is a good seat.

I just got a ride on a 777 jumpseat and I must say that it was WAY more comfy than the seat I regularly fly (EMB-145). I mean, more comfy than the pilot seat.
Having said that, is a comfy jumpseat really a good thing? Do you want the feds telling each other how great your jumpseat was and that they really need to go try it? Give me short, uncomfortable jumpseats any day!

millhouse21 said:
Having said that, is a comfy jumpseat really a good thing? Do you want the feds telling each other how great your jumpseat was and that they really need to go try it? Give me short, uncomfortable jumpseats any day!

I have nothing to hide. I welcome the "feds" anytime. Those of you who don't must have a reason. I sure wouldn't want me or my family in the back of your aircraft.

Besides, most of you pilots flying those EMB145s or similar aircraft don't have the required experience to handle even the slightest abnormality, much less a full blown emergency.

I'll allow that the MD-80 jumpseat has better padding then the EMB, CRJ, or Saab. It's just more intrusive, with the crew reaching between your legs all the time for the garbage or the pneumatic valves, the armrests gouging your knees, the WWII-era headphones (if they're even offered to you), the crew's coats right in your face, and passing the crew's dinners overhead without dumping everything over your head.

Yank McCobb said:
Besides, most of you pilots flying those EMB145s or similar aircraft don't have the required experience to handle even the slightest abnormality, much less a full blown emergency.

<boxing bell>

That's pretty good flame-bait for your second post ever! I'll let someone else grind you into the ground first....:rolleyes:

Yank McCobb said:
I have nothing to hide. I welcome the "feds" anytime. Those of you who don't must have a reason. I sure wouldn't want me or my family in the back of your aircraft.

So we need 18000 hours to have the "required experience"?
And this thread has been officially hijacked...

Latest resources

Back