Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
After years of field research, I have determined that I hate the MD-80 jumpseat.

I just thought I would share that with all of you!

I'll go in your place next time. Can you get me on? Does your security ID
pic have a good-looking 40's brown hair, blue eye guy?
;)

I like the fold down pedals. I also enjoy moving my feet from them every 10 minutes when the captain needs to talk or throw away something.

I also enjoy watching them eat on a 4 hour flight, while the stewardess kindly hands me a small bowl of nuts. "We didn't have enough meals for the jumpseat."

*Stomach Growling*

Method to the madness

labbats said:
*Stomach Growling*

This way, you'll be much more aggressive as the evil-doer busts down the lavatory-style door immediately at your back.

From your hospital bed you'll be lauded as the hero that ran interference between the 230 pound drunk from 11C who forgot his doctor told him not to mix booze with his medication and the pilots who were half asleep after consuming their entire meal without offering you so much a stale roll of bread.

There's a reason for everything.
Best.

I'm going to be stuck on an -88 jumpseat tomorrow unless I get to the airport 5 hours earlier than needed to get on a 737. I haven't been on a 73 in 3+ years but from what I remember the JS won't be all that much better than on the 88.

Times like these make me really hate snowstorms.

shamrock said:
I'm going to be stuck on an -88 jumpseat tomorrow

I've been meaning to ask...
What's the difference between the -80, -88, etc...I heard the story behind American's SUPER 80...but...what is the real difference between the "80s"?

-mini

[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]The popular MD-80 series is a stretched and improved development of the McDonnell Douglas DC-9.

The origins of the MD-80 lie in 1975 testing where a standard DC-9 was fitted with improved, more efficient, higher bypass ratio JT8D-200 series turbofans. MDC originally proposed fitting the new engines (which meet Stage 3 noise limits) to a development designated the DC-9-55, which would have featured two JT8D-209s and a 3.86m (12ft 8in) stretched fuselage over the 50.

Instead MDC developed the DC-9 Super 80 (or DC-9-80), combining the new engines with a further stretched fuselage, increased span wing and other improvements. Launched in October 1977, the Super 80 first flew on October 18 1979. Certification for the initial Super 80 model, the 81, was granted in July 1981. The first customer delivery was to Swissair in September 1980.

McDonnell Douglas renamed the DC-9-80 the MD-80 in 1983. The MD-80 designation however is a generic designation for the series and does not apply to a certain model type. The specific MD-80 models are the initial MD-81, the MD-82 with more powerful JT8D-217s, the extended range MD-83 with extra fuel and more efficient JT8D-219s, and the MD-88 (first flight August 1987) with the JT8D-219s of the MD-83 with an EFIS flightdeck and redesigned cabin interior, with other improvements. The shorter fuselage but longer range MD-87 is described separately under McDonnell Douglas.

Initial sales of the Super 80 were slow until American Airlines placed an initial order for 67 MD-82s (with options on 100) in early 1984 (American now operates a fleet of 260 MD-80s), kickstarting what went on to become a highly successful program - the 1000th MD-80 was delivered in March 1992.

Following the 1997 merger of Boeing and McDonnell Douglas the future of the Douglas airliners were reviewed. In December 1997 Boeing announced its decision to drop the MD-80 and MD-90 once current orders were fulfilled. An April 1998 TWA order for 24 MD-83s will see the MD-80 remain in production until January 2000.

[/font]

EagleRJ said:
After years of field research, I have determined that I hate the MD-80 jumpseat.

I just thought I would share that with all of you!

Agreed it's no picknick. For that matter, 75 sucks when the CA moves his seat back and your legs are dangling off the side and fall asleep. 73 blows as well, 2nd seat on the airbus, second seat on the 777 bad bad bad. 1st JS on 777 and the 767 rock.

But hey, its a free ride until the company/TSA find a way to take taht away from us as well so I'm always happy and grateful the priveledge still exists.

Latest resources

Back