• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good fedex rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You see those Atlas 747s all the time up in Anchorage. I haven't been close enough to tell, but I've heard they even have "Operated by Atlas Air for FedEx Express" written on the side (in small letters).

Man, I'm gone for a few days, and the rumors are flying and I miss all the good stuff. I still stand by the 7000 pilots by 2007. All these other rumors substantiate it! I can't even imagine that training department trying to do 25 guys a month. They'll fold up.

Sounds good regarding the 7000. For the guys out there who are looking to come to FedEx, unfortunately the 1400 new MD pilots won't necessitate 1400 new hires. Many of them will come from the DC-10 which will slowly be going away as they all get converted to MD-10s. Don't know off hand how many DC-10 crewmembers there are, but I know quite a few are the over 60 engineers.

FDX used Atlas to service contracted lift for the military. It is not Federal Express cargo. I think the contarct is with the Big FDX company and Air Mobility Command. Trade Winds also flys FDX stuff out of BQN to the east cost.

The LH MD-11s are not for sale, they'd like more. Word is the UPS is not getting more than the 13 of them and not in the market. FedEx wants 19 more MD-11s (over and above the AA aircraft that were already purchased). Currently there are 42 MD-11s and 20 MD-10s, with the total of MD-10s to go to 89. FedEx is negotiating with both SR and DL for theirs, I know that the $33 mil price tag is in the ballpark of what they want to buy them for. Both the SR and DL MD-11s have Pratt engines, so that part of the rumor is not accurate. We are increasing MD-11 training to 12 crews/month in about 3 months and that is expected to continue indefinitely.

Slack to Fast Cargo

Fast Cargo--I apologize.

I know you military guys don't follow the trade as closely as some of us do.

Just try to remember us when we're trying to jumpseat on your FedEx MD-11 as I'm sure you'll get there before me.

I'm almost positive.

No big deal...

Hey Mar,

No need to apologize...but thanks anyway!

I wish our jumpseating policy could change as well...new FAA rules caused the company to outright cancel off line jumpseats. All us pilot types are KEENLY aware of the problems this is causing with other airlines. Last thing we want is for you guys to drop us in response. Here's hoping the FAA, ALPA, and the company can find a way to fix this...

But what do I know...I'm just a line poag...

FastCargo

The United DC-10's were not painted because we lease them. Rumor was we wanted to get out of the lease, but United said we will take them back, but you are still paying.
Md-11 training is backed up and going as fast as they can. I have seen my class date slide 3 months already though.

Fly Safe

delta md-11s

Ups already had a contract in place with boeing to deliver these md-11's, when the announcement was made. The delta md-11 will go to ups, however probably every other md-11 in the world will go to fdx.

n

UPS was in talks, but there is no firm contract in place at all for the Delta aircraft. UPS has said they don't want any aircraft over the JAL MD-11s and the ones from South America, 13 total.

I believe your information is faulty. Ups is receiving 19 total. I heard this from our D.O. 2 months ago, at a communication meeting. These are firm orders not options, there are options for 22 more. Ups was offered these md-11's before delta made the announcement 2 months ago.

Latest resources

Back