Good fedex rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumbydammit

I heard from a FDX friend that the American MD-11's are coming on line and that FDX is buying Delta's old MD-11's as well as a possible deal with Lufthansa for theirs (didn't know that had them)....all this for the Asia cargo growth and possible new routes over there...maybe even several slots from UAL. Can anyone confirm any of this? Profile? Albie? Bueller? Bueller?

parked next to a silver MD-11 with the American painted over at LAX last week, and saw another one at the maint site just south of the approach end of 27 in MEM last week as well. Jumpseating home on a MD-11, the capt said we are getting the American MD-11's, 4 now, and 4-5 more after the new year, not painting them due to peak(just like the united dc-10's, weren't those just supposed to be for peak last year??) Getting Delta's MD-11's make sense, just haven't heard of it, and no clue about the Lufthansa planes. Hope that helps some.

There are in fact 2 new silver MD11s that used to belong to AAL on the ramp. An FCIF even made mention of the fact to the pilot force last week.

What I don't know, however, is if these were airframes earmarked for purchase a long time ago or a recent add on to the plan. For whatever reason, Bruce Cheever will not call me to discuss long term fleet growth and business plans. :confused: I'm sure I could give him tons of good advice ;)

Our fleet plan has called for the expansion of the MD11 fleet for some time. However, the Swiss Air order cancellation took 19 jets off that long range plan. I don't know if extra MD11s from other sources will ultimately raise or lower the original target number.

Ultimately, this is the jet I want to fly most of my career at FedEx. I have an affinity for McAir products, and I want to fly international. So...I'm as rumor hungry as anyone else on the boards.

Here is another rumor for you that I just heard.

According to sources, FedEx is looking to have 130+ MD-11/10s on the property by sometime in 2008, with 2400 crewmembers flying them. Presently, we have nearly 1000 crewmembers at MEM, ANC, and LAX. That means we need to train 1400 new pilots in the Maddog in the next six years. Take into account attrition for retirements and guys leaving the MD to go to other equipment, and you may have as many as 500 more training cycles required. What does all this mean? It means that we have 1900 training cycles over the next six years, or more than 300/year (25/month). This is nearly triple what we are currently doing. By the way, that assumes we don't have anyone bust training during that time, which unfortunately does occur every once in a while. Now factor in the semi-annual PC/PTs, and I think the training department is going to be one very busy place over the next six years!

Last edited:
Man, I'm gone for a few days, and the rumors are flying and I miss all the good stuff. I still stand by the 7000 pilots by 2007. All these other rumors substantiate it! I can't even imagine that training department trying to do 25 guys a month. They'll fold up.

By the way Albie, I think we are still getting the Swissair 11s. I think we were just waiting until they were really cheap. I've heard also that we are getting the Delta maddogs. We'll also get UPS's when we buy them, but that may be stretching the rumor mill quite a bit.

I also saw that 747 painted in FedEx colors, minus the actual word FedEx on it, so.... what could that indicate?

Good stuff.

Speaking of 747s...

Just to throw something else on the rumor mill fire...

About had an accident driving in San Antonio today by the airport when my wife notices a 747 tail sticking out of a hanger at SAT...painted in a dark purple color...

We took care of some stuff downtown and came back to the airport, and stopped for a closer look. Darned if it wasn't a white 747-200 with a FedEx looking paint scheme (minus the name of course)! But the color was slightly off...more of a dark purplish blue than a pure purple. The jet was a cargo conversion...and otherwise the paint scheme was identical to our jets! Only sad thing, was the number was N508MC...anyone know who MC is?

So close, and yet so far...

FastCargo

Are you serious?

N-xxxMC = Michael Chowdery.

He was the dude behind Atlas Air Cargo. "Was" because he's dead now.

All of those mysterious 747s with purple tails are Atlas aircraft.

Read into that whatever you like.

:cool:

Ah...that explains it...

Hey, cut me some slack...:) I've only been in this civilian thing for a year and a few months...

FastCargo

I hear from a pretty reliable source tonight that FedEx is buying the 19 Swiss Air MD11s for 33 million a piece. They were going to be 60 million each before 911. UPS is abandoning it's procurement of MD-11s. The two American MD-11 on the ramp at FedEx are the last of the American airplanes. They are looking at the 13 (I think) Delta airplanes but those have Pratt & Whitney engines and are less desirable. The 33 million dollar Swiss Air airplanes will need doors and conversion, which costs 7 million each and is less than the current DC-10 to MD-10 mods. I also heard from a less reliable source they bought 6 Airbus airplanes and have parked them. I heard they got a deal on them also.

Latest resources

Back